RDDL tutorial + proposal

  • Leigh Dodds
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi,

      There's been mention of RDDL a few times on this list (mainly wrt to
      spec/module documentation). I've written an RDDL tutorial [1] which
      might prove useful/interesting for those of you wanting to learn more.

      I'd like to formally propose that we adopt RDDL as the documentation
      standard for RSS 1.0, and all associated modules.

      It would be relatively trivial to migrate existing documentation over to
      RDDL (its in XHTML now currently IIRC). If possible I'd also like all
      RSS 1.0 modules to be documented in RDDL as a mandatory requirement.

      RDDL ("Riddle") will give us a nice framework into which we can combine
      documentation and resources. I think there may be scope for defining
      some additional RDDL natures/purposes for RSS specific uses, e.g.
      a nature for an RSS feed, RSS 0.9X <-> RSS 1.0 up/down convertors, etc.

      As I note in the tutorial there's some interesting scope for chaining
      XSLT transformations by traversing RDDL documents. I believe this
      would work well in a content syndication arena as there are currently
      several popular formats.

      Cheers and comments very welcome!,

      L.

      [1]. http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/02/28/rddl.html

      --
      Leigh Dodds, Systems Architect | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
      http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic | sine necessitate"
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        Leigh Dodds writes:

        > I'd like to formally propose that we adopt RDDL as the documentation
        > standard for RSS 1.0, and all associated modules.
        >
        > It would be relatively trivial to migrate existing documentation over to
        > RDDL (its in XHTML now currently IIRC). If possible I'd also like all
        > RSS 1.0 modules to be documented in RDDL as a mandatory requirement.

        I think this is a good suggestion. I didn't follow the RDDL
        development on XML-Dev, but I gave the spec a thorough read during my
        flight to New York yesterday and I couldn't find anywhere obvious I
        could shoot holes in it (and I shoot holes in everything) -- it's
        trivially simple but extremely powerful. Jonathan Borden, Tim Bray,
        and the others did a great job on it.

        All the best,

        David

        --
        David Megginson david@...
        http://www.megginson.com/
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          > I'd like to formally propose that we adopt RDDL as the documentation
          > standard for RSS 1.0, and all associated modules.

          Sounds good to me. It'd be nice if parsers could start to accept RDDL
          where appropriate... but because it can encompass almost any form of
          schemata or definition langauge, it has a wide scope to cover. Still,
          I'd like to see it used on XSV for a start, and perhaps in SW
          processors in the near future.

          Of course, for all you cynicists out there, I only support this
          because RDDL is based on XHTML Basic :-)

          --
          Kindest Regards,
          Sean B. Palmer
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
            Leigh Dodds wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > There's been mention of RDDL a few times on this list (mainly wrt to
            > spec/module documentation). I've written an RDDL tutorial [1] which
            > might prove useful/interesting for those of you wanting to learn more.
            >
            > I'd like to formally propose that we adopt RDDL as the documentation
            > standard for RSS 1.0, and all associated modules.

            The taxo module has been written as RDDL :) ...

            Eric
            --
            See you in Austin (Knowledge Technologies 2001)
            http://www.gca.org/attend/2001_conferences/kt_2001/mon.htm