[syndication] RE: [RSS-DEV] Cross-Site Unique ID Formats? And ID Debating...

  • Morbus Iff
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 27, 2001
      >Ideally, I would like the IDs to be unique across time and space, like
      >a Microsoft COM GUID. These are 128 bits long and are, as the docs say,
      >"unique to a high degree of certainty." It would be cool if this
      >was included somewhere within the RSS <channel> tag, and if there was
      >a web service that the site author would use to assign it.

      I think any approach that politely asks users to put the GUID in their
      channel listing is going to fail. Not enough people realize that the <?xml>
      statement has to be the first thing in the channel - I've had to write a a
      few bits of code that handle that, as well as encoding errors. If they
      can't that right, then asking them about "GUID"'s and "128 big"'s and so
      forth is scary.

      >For a moment I thought that a SOAP service that accepted a candidate
      >URL, checked it against a master list, then either returned an existing
      >GUID or created and then returned a new one. But this takes the human
      >judgement out of the loop and then we end up needing an alias list again
      >to say that "these two GUIDs are the same."

      Would it be all that much harder to check it against a number of known
      aliases? Say we set up a SOAP server that does exactly what you suggest. It
      returns three response codes: -1, 0, 1. 1 is happy go-lucky and means that
      "you can add it to your list - I just added it to mine". 0 means it's
      already in the current list.

      -1 means it was so close to something that a human has to take a look at it.
      We could define a series of checks:

      - first 25 characters the same.
      - only the extensions are different in URI.
      - matches a known alias in your chv_aliases.xml
      - etc, etc, etc.

      >For me, this all starts and ends as a quality of service issue. I want
      >to give my users a unique list of content. If they are regular readers
      >of, say, "CNET", and they've done some customization to that channel
      >within my program, then I don't want them to be confused if the source
      >of that channel changes, say, from scraped data (once available from
      >the late Internet Alchemy) to Moreover data, to what could at sometime
      >become a direct feed. I've actually got lots of stuff in the works on
      >the customization front (none of which I want to talk about yet), and

      I'd actually like to work with you on some of this customization you plan.
      As per a previous message, I currently don't like how you handle your
      chv_providers.xml, because for someone who wants to use your list in
      another program, there's all this extra fun happy customization junk (i'll
      ignore the "well, don't use my list" / "wasn't meant for public
      consumption").

      I was following Winer's lead with Radio Userland actually - he's got his
      master list (serviceList4.xml) of sites updated, and then he's got
      mySubscriptions.opml, which can contain all the customization, page views,
      colors and so forth that he wants. This doesn't fit perfectly into CHV
      though, since there's not really a concept of subscribing to a channel,
      only of active and inactive...

      --
      Morbus Iff
      _____