[sitemap] Syntax Proposal

  • dweingart@pobox.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2001
      I'm coming forward with a proposal to add a site map module to
      RSS 1.0, as a continuation of the earlier thread I started
      regarding site maps. I'm hoping that describing some syntax
      may help jump start the conversation.

      The syntax is based on the earlier "proto-RDF" site map syntax
      that was supported by early builds of Mozilla, samples of which
      are still available at these urls:

      <http://coverage.cnet.com/RDF/>
      <http://home.netscape.com/netcenter.rdf>
      <http://www.hotwired.com/rdf/sitemap.rdf>

      The Site Map module would consist of three elements, <map>,
      <topic>, and <child>. The child entries would point to the RSS
      <item> resources. Assuming that the sitemap module would
      use the "sm" namespace prefix, here's a simple example of the
      syntax (watch out for wrapping):

      <sm:map>
      <sm:topic id="root" sm:name="rss-dev"
      rdf:about="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/">
      <sm:child>
      <sm:topic id="messages" name="Messages">
      <sm:child id="1607"
      rdf:about="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/message/160
      7"/>
      <sm:child id="1608"
      rdf:about="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/message/160
      8"/>
      <sm:child id="1609"
      rdf:about="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/message/160
      9"/>
      </sm:topic>
      </sm:child>
      <sm:child>
      <sm:topic id="files" name="Files">
      <sm:child id="spec"
      rdf:about="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/files/specificati
      on.html"/>
      </sm:topic>
      </sm:child>
      <sm:child id="promote"
      rdf:about="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rss-dev/promote"/>
      </sm:topic>
      </sm:map>

      This is just a starting point, from someone who is still learning
      how RDF and RSS work. I welcome any and all criticism :)

      -dave
      --
      David Weingart
      dweingart@p...
      • Aaron Swartz
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 2001
          dweingart@... <dweingart@...> wrote:

          > The syntax is based on the earlier "proto-RDF" site map syntax
          > that was supported by early builds of Mozilla, samples of which
          > are still available at these urls:

          This (Netscape's) syntax seems to be based on a very old draft of RDF, and
          so seems a bit quaint to my eyes. Your syntax however, seems to have brought
          it up-to-date, although it does have a few problems (the IDs, for example).

          Anyway, I'd like to second the suggestion of a simplified model for just a
          list of parents and children. I think that would simplify things (for me at
          least) quite a bit. However, that does leave us to deal with your concept of
          a "topic" versus who knows what else the rest are (items, I guess). So
          perhaps we can create a new property? (q:type = topic) Or maybe we can use
          the taxo module to create topic and attach to those...

          I just think this syntax is a bit hard to follow and doesn't really take
          advantage of RSS as much as it could.

          --
          [ Aaron Swartz | me@... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]