7117Re: [RSS-DEV] Re: enclosure status?

  • Dan Brickley
    Apr 8, 2005
      * Suzan Foster <su@...> [2005-04-09 01:16+0200]

      > On Apr 9, 2005, at 12:04 AM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
      >
      > > This is beautifully terse. I have three suggestions:
      >
      > I've incorporated your suggestions into my draft[1].
      >
      > Regards,
      > Suzan Foster.
      > --
      > [1] http://www.xs4all.nl/~foz/mod_enclosure.html

      I'm jumping in here without having studied the whole thread,
      but one quick point (all else looks good...): perhaps enc:url= could
      be replaced with use of the rdf:resource= notation, which will
      tell generic RDF tools that a URI is being used.

      ie.

      <item rdf:about="http://foo.bar/baz">
      <title>There's no pleasing some people..</title>
      <enc:enclosure enc:url="http://foo.bar/baz.mp3"
      enc:type="audio/mpeg" enc:length="65535"/>
      <enc:enclosure enc:url="http://foo.bar/baz.mp3.torrent"
      enc:type="application/x-bittorrent" enc:length="655"/>
      </item>

      becomes:

      <item rdf:about="http://foo.bar/baz">
      <title>There's no pleasing some people..</title>
      <enc:enclosure rdf:resource="http://foo.bar/baz.mp3"
      enc:type="audio/mpeg" enc:length="65535"/>
      <enc:enclosure rdf:resource="http://foo.bar/baz.mp3.torrent"
      enc:type="application/x-bittorrent" enc:length="655"/>
      </item>

      This would allow transparent merging of such data with
      other info, eg.
      <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://foo.bar/baz.mp3"
      xmlns:cc="http://web.resource.org/cc/">
      <cc:permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Reproduction"/>
      <foaf:maker>
      <foaf:Person foaf:name="whoever made the mp3"/>
      </foaf:maker>
      </rdf:Description>

      Using enc:url is OK, but will make certain RDF queries harder
      to express, since the RDF layer wouldn't realise that the thing that
      is the value of the enc:enclosure property is the thing with the
      cc:permits and foaf:maker property, so more application-level smarts
      would be required.

      just a thought...

      Dan
    • Show all 39 messages in this topic