1820Re: [RSS-DEV] Blogify && Peerkat

  • Seth Russell
    Mar 23, 2001
      From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@...>

      > > I mean just how does XHTML get extended? Does it
      > > take some blessing from a high priest?
      >
      > Hmph... don't get me started on this.

      Too late now....

      See, I remember the days when XML was just starting ... if we (as Tame
      application developers) wanted a new tag or attribute, we just added it ...
      no problem, if it was a neat tag/attribute others would use it too. I had
      viewed XHTML as the beginning of that kind of environment for the web at
      large .... silly me. Technically, I still can't conceive of why this can't
      be done; but politically it seems we're gonna have W3C groupies screaming
      that it's not legal. Now I can see the other side of the coin too ...
      nobody liked the Netscape's and the Microsoft's extending things in
      incompatible ways .. so that when they agreed (did they agree?) to adopt the
      W3C standards it was certainly a good thing for us all. But I guess I
      didn't read in the fine print where us application development guys were
      loosing the ability to easily layer our own tag/attribute definitions above
      the communal standards. When, where, and why did we loose this important
      freedom?

      .... what am I missing?

      > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1
      > [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization