1814Re: [RSS-DEV] Blogify && Peerkat

  • Sean B. Palmer
    Mar 22, 2001
      > I mean just how does XHTML get extended? Does it
      > take some blessing from a high priest?

      Hmph... don't get me started on this.

      For the record, W3C only currently recommend XHTML 1.0 [1]. XHTML 1.0
      is in no way whatsoever extensible, although it does contain a small
      non-normative section on namespace extensibility. The way to extend
      XHTML is with XHTML m12n [2]: that is the only "legal" way to do it,
      and m12n isn't even a recommendation yet (it's a PR).

      Still, XHTML m12n has a very narrow scope, and isn't meant for the day
      hacker (hmm... more Beatles references?). So most people just stuff
      m12n and go for namespace or at best, Schema extensibility, neither of
      which are all that good either, but at least they're easier.

      As Aaron points out, all of this involves namespaces, so as far as
      Blogification is concerned, this is rather a moot point. Anyway, the
      fact of the matter remains that when asked the question "can you
      really extend XHTML?" the answer is "no, unless.....".

      So I suggest that you just use "title" and make-do with it. If you
      want to add other junk in, use further <span>'s or whatever. The fact
      is, XHTML wasn't designed to carry RSS feeds, so you're going to have
      to hack at it :-)

      [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1
      [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization

      --