1813Re: [RSS-DEV] Re: Blogify && Peerkat

  • Ian Graham
    Mar 22, 2001
      On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Aaron Swartz wrote:

      > Morbus Iff <morbus@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Of course, the initial problem with that is getting the initial client
      > > software to spit that out correctly. For example, in Blogger terms, you can
      > > deal with the following dates:
      >
      > As far as I'm concerned, there's only one correct choice, and that's the ISO
      > and W3C standard: W3CDTF, which is also the only format allowed in RSS 1.0.

      There is no such thing as a W3C time standard -- there is a W3C 'note'
      that discusses possible standards for time / date strings
      (http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime-970915.html), but no official
      W3C position on this.

      There are 'official' IETF and ISO standards -- ISO 8601 is the one that
      gives strings like:

      1999-05-26T15:32:30+01:00
      or
      2001-02-31T13:32:25Z

      which is the one discussed in the W3C note and the one RSS is using. I, on
      the other hand, am partial to the IETF standard RFC 1123, which lets you
      have strings like:

      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 07:23:41 GMT

      But then I'm an old-fashioned type of guy ;-)

      Best --

      Ian