Vote: Recommend the Feed Validator

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
      Today begins the seven-day voting period for this proposal, which was
      made by Eric Lunt and I and seconded by Randy Charles Morin.

      Use this mailing list to cast your vote, which can be Yes (or +1) to
      support the proposal, No (or -1) to oppose it, and Abstain (or 0) to
      defer the decision to the rest of the board.

      Voting's a requirement of board membership [1], so please do so in the
      next seven days.

      PROPOSAL

      In the time I've been serving on the RSS Advisory Board, I've been
      asked fairly often to look at a Really Simple Syndication feed and
      help someone figure out why it isn't working.

      The first thing I do in response is load it in the Feed Validator [2],
      the open source validator developed by Sam Ruby, Mark Pilgrim, Joseph
      Walton and Phil Ringnalda that supports RSS and Atom. I did the same
      thing when I was drafting the proposed specification, pasting each
      example into a sample document [3] and running it through the
      validator to catch potential mistakes.

      At FeedBurner, Eric Lunt has a similar troubleshooting approach when
      users have problems with their feeds, so we're making a joint proposal.

      Proposed: The board should officially recommend and use the Feed
      Validator.

      A validator complements a specification, as long as they're
      in agreement. In the three years the validator has been around, I've
      asked Sam a half-dozen times about its interpretation of RSS, and each
      time he was quick to address my concerns. If there's an area where
      the validator and board members have disagreed over an aspect of RSS,
      my experience has been that he eagerly defers to our judgment.

      I've leaned on the validator so often that I recently became one of
      the developers [4] so I could pitch in on RSS-related issues.

      1: http://www.rssboard.org/charter
      2: http://feedvalidator.org
      3: http://www.rssboard.org/files/rss-2.0-sample.xml
      4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/feedvalidator
    • rcade
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
        --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <rcade@...> wrote:
        > Proposed: The board should officially recommend and use the Feed
        > Validator.

        My vote's Yes, naturally.

        The Feed Validator's a great tool when you're helping people implement
        Really Simple Syndication and resolve problems in an RSS feed. We're
        also relying on it as we develop the proposed specification on RSS-Public.
      • Randy Morin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
          Yes

          Randy

          --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <rcade@...> wrote:

          > Today begins the seven-day voting period for this proposal, which
          was
          > made by Eric Lunt and I and seconded by Randy Charles Morin.
          >
          > Use this mailing list to cast your vote, which can be Yes (or +1)
          > support the proposal, No (or -1) to oppose it, and Abstain (or 0)
          > defer the decision to the rest of the board.
          >
          > Voting's a requirement of board membership [1], so please do so in
          the
          > next seven days.
          >
          > PROPOSAL
          >
          > In the time I've been serving on the RSS Advisory Board, I've been
          > asked fairly often to look at a Really Simple Syndication feed and
          > help someone figure out why it isn't working.
          >
          > The first thing I do in response is load it in the Feed Validator
          [2],
          > the open source validator developed by Sam Ruby, Mark Pilgrim,
          Joseph
          > Walton and Phil Ringnalda that supports RSS and Atom. I did the
          same
          > thing when I was drafting the proposed specification, pasting each
          > example into a sample document [3] and running it through the
          > validator to catch potential mistakes.
          >
          > At FeedBurner, Eric Lunt has a similar troubleshooting approach
          when
          > users have problems with their feeds, so we're making a joint
          proposal.

          > Proposed: The board should officially recommend and use the Feed
          > Validator.
          >
          > A validator complements a specification, as long as they're
          > in agreement. In the three years the validator has been around,
          I've
          > asked Sam a half-dozen times about its interpretation of RSS, and
          each
          > time he was quick to address my concerns. If there's an area where
          > the validator and board members have disagreed over an aspect of
          RSS,
          > my experience has been that he eagerly defers to our judgment.
          >
          > I've leaned on the validator so often that I recently became one of
          > the developers [4] so I could pitch in on RSS-related issues.
          >
          > 1: http://www.rssboard.org/charter
          > 2: http://feedvalidator.org
          > 3: http://www.rssboard.org/files/rss-2.0-sample.xml
          > 4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/feedvalidator

        • Eric Lunt
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
            Thanks for coordinating, Rogers.

            +1

            rcade wrote:

            > Today begins the seven-day voting period for this proposal, which was
            > made by Eric Lunt and I and seconded by Randy Charles Morin.
            >
            > Use this mailing list to cast your vote, which can be Yes (or +1) to
            > support the proposal, No (or -1) to oppose it, and Abstain (or 0) to
            > defer the decision to the rest of the board.
            >
            > Voting's a requirement of board membership [1], so please do so in the
            > next seven days.
            >
            > PROPOSAL
            >
            > In the time I've been serving on the RSS Advisory Board, I've been
            > asked fairly often to look at a Really Simple Syndication feed and
            > help someone figure out why it isn't working.
            >
            > The first thing I do in response is load it in the Feed Validator [2],
            > the open source validator developed by Sam Ruby, Mark Pilgrim, Joseph
            > Walton and Phil Ringnalda that supports RSS and Atom. I did the same
            > thing when I was drafting the proposed specification, pasting each
            > example into a sample document [3] and running it through the
            > validator to catch potential mistakes.
            >
            > At FeedBurner, Eric Lunt has a similar troubleshooting approach when
            > users have problems with their feeds, so we're making a joint proposal.
            >
            > Proposed: The board should officially recommend and use the Feed
            > Validator.
            >
            > A validator complements a specification, as long as they're
            > in agreement. In the three years the validator has been around, I've
            > asked Sam a half-dozen times about its interpretation of RSS, and each
            > time he was quick to address my concerns. If there's an area where
            > the validator and board members have disagreed over an aspect of RSS,
            > my experience has been that he eagerly defers to our judgment.
            >
            > I've leaned on the validator so often that I recently became one of
            > the developers [4] so I could pitch in on RSS-related issues.
            >
            > 1: http://www.rssboard.org/charter
            > 2: http://feedvalidator.org
            > 3: http://www.rssboard.org/files/rss-2.0-sample.xml
            > 4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/feedvalidator

            > Xml format
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+format&w1=Xml+format&w2=Advisory+board&c=2&s=36&.sig=KSg7t3lUtXUVPpohyDwW9A>
            > Advisory board
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Advisory+board&w1=Xml+format&w2=Advisory+board&c=2&s=36&.sig=nyPlw7lUdOy3F9-YtxxLjw>

            Eric Lunt
            CTO, FeedBurner
            eric@...
            http://www.burningdoor.com/eric
          • David Sifry
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
              I vote yes.

              _rcade_ wrote:
              > Today begins the seven-day voting period for this proposal, which was
              > made by Eric Lunt and I and seconded by Randy Charles Morin.
              >
              > Use this mailing list to cast your vote, which can be Yes (or +1) to
              > support the proposal, No (or -1) to oppose it, and Abstain (or 0) to
              > defer the decision to the rest of the board.
              >
              > Voting's a requirement of board membership [1], so please do so in the
              > next seven days.
              >
              > PROPOSAL
              >
              > In the time I've been serving on the RSS Advisory Board, I've been
              > asked fairly often to look at a Really Simple Syndication feed and
              > help someone figure out why it isn't working.
              >
              > The first thing I do in response is load it in the Feed Validator [2],
              > the open source validator developed by Sam Ruby, Mark Pilgrim, Joseph
              > Walton and Phil Ringnalda that supports RSS and Atom. I did the same
              > thing when I was drafting the proposed specification, pasting each
              > example into a sample document [3] and running it through the
              > validator to catch potential mistakes.
              >
              > At FeedBurner, Eric Lunt has a similar troubleshooting approach when
              > users have problems with their feeds, so we're making a joint proposal.
              >
              > Proposed: The board should officially recommend and use the Feed
              > Validator.
              >
              > A validator complements a specification, as long as they're
              > in agreement. In the three years the validator has been around, I've
              > asked Sam a half-dozen times about its interpretation of RSS, and each
              > time he was quick to address my concerns. If there's an area where
              > the validator and board members have disagreed over an aspect of RSS,
              > my experience has been that he eagerly defers to our judgment.
              >
              > I've leaned on the validator so often that I recently became one of
              > the developers [4] so I could pitch in on RSS-related issues.
              >
              > 1: http://www.rssboard.org/charter
              > 2: http://feedvalidator.org
              > 3: http://www.rssboard.org/files/rss-2.0-sample.xml
              > 4: http://sourceforge.net/projects/feedvalidator

              > Xml format
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Xml+format&w1=Xml+format&w2=Advisory+board&c=2&s=36&.sig=KSg7t3lUtXUVPpohyDwW9A>
              > Advisory board
              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Advisory+board&w1=Xml+format&w2=Advisory+board&c=2&s=36&.sig=nyPlw7lUdOy3F9-YtxxLjw>

              David L. Sifry
              Founder and CEO, Technorati, Inc.
              dsifry@...
              415 846-0232 (Mobile)
            • Meg Hourihan
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
                I vote Yes.
              • Jenny Levine
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 13, 2006
                  I vote yes

                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Jenny Levine
                  The Shifted Librarian
                  http://theshiftedlibrarian.com/
                  AIM: cybrarygal

                • Greg Reinacker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 14, 2006
                    Yes!

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • rcade
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
                      I didn't think about this vote ending on a holiday when I posted the
                      proposal -- sorry about that.

                      Ross Mayfield sent this to me in e-mail today:

                      If it is not too late, I vote for the validator.
                    • Randy Morin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 20, 2006
                        Could we setup a Webpage on rssboard.org that has a form that submits
                        to the FeedValidator?
                        Thanks Rogers,

                        Randy

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 21, 2006
                          --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Morin" <randy@...> wrote:
                          > Could we setup a Webpage on rssboard.org that has a form that submits
                          > to the FeedValidator?

                          To reflect the board's decision to support the validator, I've added
                          it to the site in the manner:

                          http://www.rssboard.org/feed-validator

                          The form is handled by the Feed Validator site. I put a front end on
                          our site to give us the ability to explain what the validator does and
                          tell people that it supports more formats than Really Simple Syndication.