Bringing on New Members

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
      In talking with people about joining the board, it has become clear to
      me that the public discussion and vote required to bring on new
      members isn't going to work.

      I take a "the more the merrier" approach to this group. Anyone who has
      an active interest in RSS as a developer, publisher, educator or exec
      and wants to sign on to the work of the board should be allowed to
      join, absent extraordinary circumstances.

      The more members we have, the more likely that our decisions will
      reflect genuine consensus in the RSS community.

      For this reason, I'd like to request that Randy table the proposal to
      invite Scott Johnson and Greg Smith to the board so that we can amend
      the charter to bring members on without subjecting them to a public
      up-or-down vote.

      My proposal:

      Drop rule 1 from the charter: "The board has nine members."

      Amend the rules so that we can do two things:

      1. Discuss and vote on the invitation of new members on a private
      mailing list.

      2. Invite anyone to join the board who gets either 3 yes votes and 0
      no votes or an absolute majority.

      This is comparable to how Apache fills the project management
      committees for its projects.
    • Randy Morin
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
        tabled