Re: Revising the RSSCloud Interface

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
      I've written my thoughts on the subject on my blog.

      http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3559

      The short version is that one person should not be allowed to control the revision of the RSSCloud Interface.
    • scamden
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
        You've pretty much summed up my feelings on it. I think this is a responsibility that the Board should take on. I do think that Winer's changes have merit, but we need to make sure that they're well specified before they get implemented by so many people that they're forever deadlocked in murkiness for compatibility's sake.

        --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <cadenhead@...> wrote:

        > I've written my thoughts on the subject on my blog.
        >
        > http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3559
        >
        > The short version is that one person should not be allowed to control the revision of the RSSCloud Interface.

      • Paul Querna
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2009
          On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM, rcade <cadenhead@...> wrote:
          > I've written my thoughts on the subject on my blog.
          >
          > http://workbench.cadenhead.org/news/3559
          >
          > The short version is that one person should not be allowed to control the revision of the RSSCloud Interface.

          I agree that the process of creating a spec unilaterally by a single
          (or even small group of people!) is not a good thing.

          I don't believe 'we' as the RSS Board should 'take over' anything though.

          I personally believe the only thing the RSS Board should perhaps do,
          is promote PubSubHubBub, it is being developed in the open, by people
          who get it. (once they are approaching a finalized specification of
          course)

          That should be our response, not diving into political games that
          poison communities.

          As Brad mentioned in his blog post, It is unfortunate that there was
          some belief that PubSubHubBub is specific to Atom -- but that has been
          corrected, and was just an oversight.
        • Rogers
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2009
            --- In rss-public@yahoogroups.com, "James Holderness" <j4_james@...> wrote:
            > Let's leave Dave to do his thing for now. Offer feedback if you
            > think it might help (some of his changes do seem to be in response
            > to comments others have made), and once the technology has matured
            > and is more widely used, we can consider whether further action
            > from the board would helpful.

            If we defer to Dave, he will control RSSCloud and the most likely outcome is that the spec will be imprecise, he will declare it frozen and we won't be in any position to do anything afterward other than live with it. RSS includes RSSCloud, so the RSS Advisory Board will be tasked with helping people support it.

            If we are letting him take over a component of the RSS specification and make changes to it, I think the board members who favor this course should get involved with his development of RSSCloud before he declares it frozen. The window of opportunity to improve it is probably short.

            Also, I think the new RSSCloud needs a version number to distinguish it from the original interface.

            Dave has made a request to me that could be directed to the board as well:

            "A couple of requests.

            "1. Work through the rsscloud.org doc with the same approach you used here. An open mind, don't prejudge. I'd be interested to hear how your experience compares.

            "2. Review the docs and report any problems you see. There's a mail list or use the comments section on the walkthrough. As you've said, now is the time to fix problems. If you find them later it will be more difficult.

            "3. Also if possible review the Wordpress implementation and my rsscloud.root. I shipped source and it's in a Frontier tool, an environment you know well."

            I appreciate the gesture he's made here, but speaking for myself personally, I won't participate in a project that puts part of RSS in a single developer's control. We fought hard to establish a public process and community decision-making on matters related to RSS, and supporting his project is counter to that.
          • randymorin
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2009
              IMHO, I don't understand how anybody thinks that rssCloud could possibly work. There's simply too many scenarios where the spec fails.

              See scenarios of failure
              http://www.therssweblog.com/?guid=20090916100620

              Unless there is major changes to address these holes, then I'm not really prepared to put any time into it.

              Thanks,

              Randy