Re: Offering Multiple Feed Formats

  • Simone Carletti
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2008
      --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <cadenhead@...> wrote:

      > --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Morin" <randy@> wrote:
      > > +1 adding this to the profile
      >
      > Would you support a resolution as well, like the ones we've done
      > endorsing the common feed icon and Feed Validator?

      I believe it's hard to talk about a "resolution" in this situation.
      I would talk about suggestions instead.

      The suggestion I usually provide is the following:

      1. always use the latest feed version

      For instance, if you are syndicating a feed as a RSS 0.91, RSS 0.92
      and RSS 2.0 you are simply wasting your time.
      Because RSS 2.0 is the natural evolution of the other releases, simply
      use RSS 2.0 and you will obtain the same result with the bonus you are
      not spreading confusion.

      The same applies to Atom: be sure you are not using Atom 0.3 and Atom
      1.0 for the same content.

      2. choose between RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0

      At the end of the story, at least you should have to decide among 3
      major formats: RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0 and Atom 1.0.
      Each format has special features and unique specification thus you
      "simply" need to use the one that better suit your needs.

      Don't be scared about feed readers.
      The 90% of them is compatibile with these 3 formats thus syndicate the
      one you are more comfortable with, you better understand or offers the
      features your feed really needs.

      About the last sentence, I wrote a full article (in Italian) a couple
      of years ago.
      http://xml.html.it/articoli/leggi/263/a-ciascuno-il-suo-rss/

      Probably it's outdated now, but I suppose it could be useful to
      provide a short list of common choices for feed publisher, if applicable.
      For example, would you syndicate a podcast? Format RSS 2.0 it's better
      to use because... and so on.

      Simone