Proposal: Publish the RSS Best-Practices Profile

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      The following RSS Advisory Board proposal has been made by Rogers
      Cadenhead and seconded by Randy Charles Morin.

      Under the advisory board charter, the board has seven days to discuss
      the proposal followed by seven days to vote on it. Interested parties
      can comment on the proposal on the mailing list RSS-Public [1].

      Proposal

      For the last 18 months, the RSS Advisory Board has been drafting a set
      of best-practice recommendations for RSS [2]. Working with the
      developers of browsers such as Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla
      Firefox, aggregators such as Bloglines and Google Reader, and blogging
      tools including Movable Type, we've looked for areas where questions
      about the RSS format have led to differences in how software has been
      implemented to produce and consume RSS feeds.

      The result of our work is the RSS Profile:

      http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile

      The lead authors are James Holderness, Morin, Geoffrey Sneddon and
      myself. The profile isn't a set of rules; it's a set of suggestions
      drafted by programmers and web publishers who've been working with RSS
      since the format's first release in 1999. Our goal is for the profile
      to be the second document programmers consult when they're learning
      how to implement RSS.

      The profile tackles some long-standing issues in RSS implementation,
      including the proper number of enclosures per item, the meaning of the
      TTL element and the use of HTML markup in character data.

      In addition to recommendations for the RSS elements documented in the
      specification, the profile includes advice for four common namespace
      elements: atom:link, content:encoded, dc:creator and slash:comments.

      We propose that the board endorse and publish the RSS Profile, making
      it available under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0
      license [3] so that others can build upon and extend it with their own
      recommendations.

      Additionally, we propose that the following sentence be added to the
      About this document section [4] of the specification, as a new fifth
      paragraph:

      "The RSS Profile [5] contains a set of recommendations for how to
      create RSS documents that work best in the wide and diverse audience
      of client software that supports the format."

      2: http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification
      3: http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#license
      4: http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification#aboutThisDocument
      5: http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile
    • rcade
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2007
        The vote has begun on the proposal to adopt the RSS Profile. As one of
        the proponents, I'm voting yes, and I'd like to encourage the board
        members to do the same.

        When I joined the board back in the Pleistocene epoch, we used to hear
        over and over from developers about three issues that were making RSS
        2.0 harder to implement:

        1. How many enclosures can an item contain?

        2. Are relative URLs OK in item descriptions?

        3. Is it OK to use HTML in elements other than an item's description?

        With the RSS Profile, we can now answer these questions.

        1. One, if you want your feed to work in the widest number of clients.

        http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#element-channel-item-enclosure

        2. No, because there's no way in RSS to identify the base URL to
        resolve them to.

        http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#element-channel-item-description

        3. No, but many aggregators expect HTML in other elements, so we're
        offering some tips on how to encode text properly.

        http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#data-types-characterdata

        If we pass the profile, we can start evangelizing its full adoption in
        RSS software that produces and consumes RSS and seek translations into
        other languages.
      • Randy Morin
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2007
          I vote yes for a greater tomorrow in RSS-land ;-)

          Randy

          --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <cadenhead@...> wrote:

          > The vote has begun on the proposal to adopt the RSS Profile. As one of
          > the proponents, I'm voting yes, and I'd like to encourage the board
          > members to do the same.

        • mdbookspan
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2007
            No. Why is this best practices and not just a formal declaration/spec?
            Guidelines will add no value.

          • Rogers Cadenhead
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2007
              On 10/8/07, mdbookspan <mbookspan@...> wrote:
              > No. Why is this best practices and not just a formal declaration/spec?
              > Guidelines will add no value.

              I tried this approach in October 2006, proposing to clarify the spec
              on the issues of enclosures, relative URLs, HTML markup and other
              questions with a clean rewrite of the RSS 2.0 spec:

              The proposal died for lack of a second. If there's interest now in
              clarifying the spec, either by revising the existing document or
              taking my proposal off the table, let me know.

              But even if we revise the spec, there are things the RSS Profile can
              accomplish that can't be done in the spec -- such as telling people
              that ttl, skipDays, ratings and textInput are implemented by less than
              one percent of surveyed feeds; recommending atom:link to identify a
              feed's URL; recommending dc:creator as an alternative to
              channel-managingEditor; and documenting test results for several dozen
              RSS clients and feed publishing tools.
            • James Holderness
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2007
                rcade wrote:
                > The vote has begun on the proposal to adopt the RSS Profile. As one of
                > the proponents, I'm voting yes, and I'd like to encourage the board
                > members to do the same.

                I vote yes. The profile may not be perfect, but I still believe it will be a
                valuable resource to both feed publishers and aggregator developers.

                Regards
                James
              • Jason Shellen
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Yes on the proposal.

                  --
                  Cheers,

                  Jason Shellen
                • Eric Lunt
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 9, 2007
                    I vote yes ... good job. In a future version, I'd like a little
                    section on best practices if an item has both <link> and <guid
                    isPermaLink="true"> elements, which I'd be happy to help with.

                    Eric Lunt
                  • Christopher Finke

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 13, 2007
                        I vote yes.

                        -Paul

                        rcade wrote:
                        > The vote has begun on the proposal to adopt the RSS Profile. As one of
                        > the proponents, I'm voting yes, and I'd like to encourage the board
                        > members to do the same.
                        >
                        > When I joined the board back in the Pleistocene epoch, we used to hear
                        > over and over from developers about three issues that were making RSS
                        > 2.0 harder to implement:
                        >
                        > 1. How many enclosures can an item contain?
                        >
                        > 2. Are relative URLs OK in item descriptions?
                        >
                        > 3. Is it OK to use HTML in elements other than an item's description?
                        >
                        > With the RSS Profile, we can now answer these questions.
                        >
                        > 1. One, if you want your feed to work in the widest number of clients.
                        >
                        > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#element-channel-item-enclosure
                        >
                        > 2. No, because there's no way in RSS to identify the base URL to
                        > resolve them to.
                        >
                        > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#element-channel-item-description
                        >
                        > 3. No, but many aggregators expect HTML in other elements, so we're
                        > offering some tips on how to encode text properly.
                        >
                        > http://www.rssboard.org/rss-profile#data-types-characterdata
                        >
                        > If we pass the profile, we can start evangelizing its full adoption in
                        > RSS software that produces and consumes RSS and seek translations into
                        > other languages.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Jake Savin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 15, 2007