Re: [rss-board] Opera Adopts Common Syndication Icon

  • Meg Hourihan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2006
      > Opera has joined MSIE and Firefox in adopting the common syndication icon:
      >
      > http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/news/2859
      >
      > I'm not a web designer or usability guru, but I've been talking up
      > this effort since Microsoft adopted it. Millions of people are going
      > to associate the orange blibbet with the concept of syndication when
      > IE 7 launches, so the rest of us ought to consider following along.
      >
      > Any thoughts on whether the board should offer official support for
      > it, both as an endorsement and by using it on our site?

      I think the idea of a common syndication icon is wonderful. I've always
      hated the orange "RSS" box that people have used, it just makes no sense
      unless you already understand the value and meaning of RSS. Granted, more
      people do now, but still...

      One of the things that's always bothered me about RSS (not the format per
      se, but the marketing of the concept) from the get-go was the way it foisted
      another acronym on the less tech savvy, and totally did nothing to explain
      the benefit of using RSS. Sticking orange RSS labels on sites certainly
      didn't help.

      I like what you (Rogers) wrote in your post wrt language (feed, reader,
      subscribe) because it helps move the idea of syndication away from the
      technicality of formats (which regardless of what us geeks think about RSS
      1.0, 2.0, some other fork, Atom, etc., most people couldn't care less as
      long as the stuff arrives in their reader/browser when it's new) and closer
      to a real-world natural language description of what's happening. As you
      say, "The technical details ought to fade into the background."

      It may be beyond the scope of what we're supposed to be doing as an
      organization, but to me it's important that we work towards
      ease-of-use/usability with everything we do. I think endorsing the icon is a
      good start in this direction. Any idea if Safari plans to adopt it?

      Thanks,
      -meg