Valid RSS 2.0 and Yahoo Groups

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      Yahoo Groups produces invalid author elements in its RSS 2.0 feeds --
      they aren't valid e-mail addresses.

      Though this is a minor error for most consumers of the feeds, the RSS
      Advisory Board doesn't inspire much confidence by using invalid feeds.

      I wrote a PHP script that fixes the error, producing what should be
      valid feeds for both of our lists:

      http://www.rssboard.org/yahoo-groups-feed/rss-public
      http://www.rssboard.org/yahoo-groups-feed/rss-board

      Users can subscribe to these URLs to read feeds that should be valid.
      They're written using the Magpie RSS Parser for PHP.

      The script caches feeds for 10 minutes and fixes three errors:

      1. The author element is transformed into a dc:creator element.

      2. If pubDate is empty, it isn't included in an item.

      3. If author is empty, it isn't included as dc:creator.

      The last two errors occur in a feed Yahoo generates for groups that
      don't offer RSS, like this one:

      http://www.rssboard.org/yahoo-groups-feed/bobkempfans

      If it works, I'll release the code as an example of how to parse and
      republish RSS 2.0 feeds in PHP.