The Terms Podcast and Podcasting

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
      Since the terms were first coined in 2004, the words "podcast" and
      "podcasting" have been used generically to refer to audio or video
      files delivered as RSS enclosures.

      This usage became so popular that "podcasting" was declared the 2005
      word of the year by the editors of the New Oxford American Dictionary. [1]

      That dictionary defines the term as "a digital recording of a radio
      broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for
      downloading to a personal audio player."

      In recent weeks, Apple Computer has begun to object to some uses of
      the term "podcast" as possible violations of its iPod trademark [2].

      I'd like to propose that the RSS Advisory Board affirm our strong
      belief that the terms podcast and podcasting refer generically to
      enclosure-delivered audio and video broadcasts and should not be
      claimed as exclusive trademarks by any entity.

      Additionally, the board will gather and publish evidence of generic
      use of these terms for the use of trademark examiners and anyone else
      researching their use.

      If this proposal has a second, a one-week discussion of the proposal
      will be followed by a one-week vote.

      1: http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2BA62BDD
      2: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M1DA21BDD
    • Randy Morin
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
        I second and will initiate the discussion.

        My understanding is that Apple is standing on firm legal ground when
        they try to protect their iPod trademark. Podcast was clearly derived
        from the term iPod and therefor the community at large made a big
        trademark error. This fight might be unwinnable.

        There is a win-lose, where Apple pays for being this stupid. Let's
        make up a word to use instead of podcasting and rebrand. It'll create
        initial confusion, I admit, but Apple will lose the word-of-mouth
        marketing machine that bloggers created for it.
        MHO,

        Randy Charles Morin
        http://www.kbcafe.com/rss

        --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <cadenhead@...> wrote:

        > Since the terms were first coined in 2004, the words "podcast" and
        > "podcasting" have been used generically to refer to audio or video
        > files delivered as RSS enclosures.
        >
        > This usage became so popular that "podcasting" was declared the 2005
        > word of the year by the editors of the New Oxford American
        Dictionary. [1]

        > That dictionary defines the term as "a digital recording of a radio
        > broadcast or similar program, made available on the Internet for
        > downloading to a personal audio player."
        >
        > In recent weeks, Apple Computer has begun to object to some uses of
        > the term "podcast" as possible violations of its iPod trademark [2].
        >
        > I'd like to propose that the RSS Advisory Board affirm our strong
        > belief that the terms podcast and podcasting refer generically to
        > enclosure-delivered audio and video broadcasts and should not be
        > claimed as exclusive trademarks by any entity.
        >
        > Additionally, the board will gather and publish evidence of generic
        > use of these terms for the use of trademark examiners and anyone
        else
        > researching their use.
        >
        > If this proposal has a second, a one-week discussion of the proposal
        > will be followed by a one-week vote.
        >
        > 1: http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2BA62BDD
        > 2: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M1DA21BDD

      • Greg Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
          In the early days, iPodder.org was retargeted as
          indiepodder.org, the iPodder the program was
          retargeted as "Juice reciever" and "podcasting" was
          interpreted as "Personal On Demand".

          Wikipedia says this: The term gained wide popularity
          as a portmanteau of iPod and broadcasting, but was
          seen before that as an acronym for "portable on
          demand".

          Much to my dismay, I have seen it written that Apple
          coined "podcast". ARRGGHH! This is absolutely not
          true.

          It appears there are several strategies including
          1) make noise about it, referencing early definitions.

          2) Make noise about a new term.

          3) Attempt to understand the law and talk to the
          receivers of the letters to understand the exact
          nature of Apples complaint, rather than rely on
          third-party reports.

          I would vote for 3, then likely 1 (depending on how
          "winnable" a fight would seem).

          I would think press releases on the order of "Apple is
          destroying "Podcasting" might help get the word out
          among geeks, but among the rest of the population, I'm
          not sure.

          http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/trade_defin.htm

          For reference "A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol
          or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols
          or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the
          source of the goods of one party from those of
          others."

          IANAL, and it is my understanding that trademarks are
          intended to prevent confusion in the marketplace about
          the source of a product. Unfortunately, given Apple's
          (smart) early embracing of podcasting in iTunes for
          the iPod, prior to most people even hearing the term,
          they have certainly not dissuaded the confusion. This
          is even more exacerbated by some sites with a picture
          of an iPod talking about podcasting.

          Greg Smith

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Rogers Cadenhead
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
            I just found an Aug. 29 letter from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rejecting an attempt to trademark "podcast" because it's a generic term:

            http://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/news/3027

          • Randy Morin
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
              Wikipedia is a great source of misinformation. Podcasting was coined
              shortly after the less glamourous iPod Platform, which was being
              worked on my Winer and Curry. It did not come from "Personal On
              Demand." That's likely someone trying to change history.
              That's my recollection,

              Randy Charles Morin
              http://www.kbcafe.com/rss

              --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, Greg Smith <ecomputerd@...> wrote:

              > In the early days, iPodder.org was retargeted as
              > indiepodder.org, the iPodder the program was
              > retargeted as "Juice reciever" and "podcasting" was
              > interpreted as "Personal On Demand".
              >
              > Wikipedia says this: The term gained wide popularity
              > as a portmanteau of iPod and broadcasting, but was
              > seen before that as an acronym for "portable on
              > demand".
              >
              > Much to my dismay, I have seen it written that Apple
              > coined "podcast". ARRGGHH! This is absolutely not
              > true.
              >
              > It appears there are several strategies including
              > 1) make noise about it, referencing early definitions.
              >
              > 2) Make noise about a new term.
              >
              > 3) Attempt to understand the law and talk to the
              > receivers of the letters to understand the exact
              > nature of Apples complaint, rather than rely on
              > third-party reports.
              >
              > I would vote for 3, then likely 1 (depending on how
              > "winnable" a fight would seem).
              >
              > I would think press releases on the order of "Apple is
              > destroying "Podcasting" might help get the word out
              > among geeks, but among the rest of the population, I'm
              > not sure.
              >
              > http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/trade_defin.htm
              >
              > For reference "A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol
              > or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols
              > or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the
              > source of the goods of one party from those of
              > others."
              >
              > IANAL, and it is my understanding that trademarks are
              > intended to prevent confusion in the marketplace about
              > the source of a product. Unfortunately, given Apple's
              > (smart) early embracing of podcasting in iTunes for
              > the iPod, prior to most people even hearing the term,
              > they have certainly not dissuaded the confusion. This
              > is even more exacerbated by some sites with a picture
              > of an iPod talking about podcasting.
              >
              > Greg Smith

            • Greg Smith
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
                Randy,

                Agreed. My recollection is similar to yours (though I
                don't specifically remember "iPod Platform").
                "Personal On Demand" and the renaming of iPodder.org
                and iPodder program occured after some time had
                passed. My impression at the time was that this was to
                avoid any future run in with Apple. Curry, at a
                minimum, was attempting to popularize "Portable On
                Demand" long after Podcasting was coined and became
                known in the geek crowd.

                But really, this may all be unimportant depending on
                exactly what Apple is claiming in its actions.

                Greg Smith

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Greg Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
                  Just a quick note: if you're going to the Podcast Expo
                  in California this Friday/Saturday, look me up I'll be
                  in the FeederReader booth.

                  Here's my "on topic" part:

                  It seems to me after reading the Engadget article,
                  that Apple is not claiming anything about "podcast" or
                  "podcasting" but they are claiming that "myPodder"
                  sounds too much like "iPod". And that "Apple objects
                  to 'Podcast Ready' trademark applications which cover
                  'portable listening devices' and 'software to manage
                  digital content for portable media players,'" though
                  they specifically do not object to the generic use of
                  the term "podcast" (I think). If I read the article
                  correctly, Apple seems to object to the use of
                  "Podcast Ready" applications which cover "portable
                  listening devices" and "software to manage digital
                  content for portable media players". I took this to
                  mean they object to the actual phrase "Podcast Ready"
                  (this is my presumption, but I don't know if it is
                  correct).

                  So I'm not sure if there's anything here for us to
                  actually do.

                  As far as coming out and saying "podcast" and
                  "podcasting" are generic terms. Great! It seems Apple
                  agrees with that already. But does that affect any
                  claims on trademarks that sound like "iPod" or refer
                  to "portable media devices".

                  One thing that's not clear from the article is whether
                  Apple is claiming anything that has "pod" in the name
                  and refers to "portable listening devices" or"software
                  to manage digital content for portable media players".
                  If Apple had their way (given my presumption!) this
                  would preclude any trademarking of "podcast" or
                  "podcasting" within a name for software or devices
                  designed for portable media playing. This seems
                  similar to "Coca Cola" objecting to "RC Cola" or
                  "Pepsi Cola" because they all contain "Cola" and, if
                  my presumption is correct, seems like an absurd claim
                  by Apple.

                  Do these observations help move us along to any sort
                  of resolution?

                  Greg Smith

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 28, 2006
                    --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, Greg Smith <ecomputerd@...> wrote:
                    > Just a quick note: if you're going to the Podcast Expo
                    > in California this Friday/Saturday, look me up I'll be
                    > in the FeederReader booth.

                    Thanks. I hope that other board members will let us know when they're
                    going to upcoming conferences or launching new products and services,
                    because I'd like to note that on our blog.

                    > So I'm not sure if there's anything here for us to
                    > actually do.

                    We're not equipped to make legal distinctions, but my thinking is that
                    by documenting the generic use of "podcast" and "podcasting" since the
                    terms were coined, the board can serve as a resource for any future
                    trademark examinations related to those terms. (This would be similar
                    to documenting prior art in a patent situation.)

                    We also can help reinforce the use of these two terms by the public to
                    describe enclosure-based media publishing.

                    Though an Apple official said the company does not object to
                    "podcast," the opposition to the "Podcast Ready" trademark appears to
                    suggest otherwise.

                    I'm not unsympathetic to Apple's attempt to protect its iPod trademark
                    -- products like MyPodder and the since-renamed Ipodder podcast client
                    do seem confusingly similar in my opinion -- but podcast has become
                    too popular as a generic term in the last two years for it to be
                    claimed today as an infringement.

                    A Yahoo/Ipsos Insight poll in October 2005 [1] found that 28% of
                    Internet users are aware of podcasting. Rechristening it "netcasting"
                    or something else -- as Randy has suggested on his blog -- drops that
                    awareness back down to 0.

                    1: http://publisher.yahoo.com/rss/RSS_whitePaper1004.pdf
                  • rcade
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2006
                      --- In rss-board@yahoogroups.com, "rcade" <cadenhead@...> wrote:
                      > I'd like to propose that the RSS Advisory Board affirm our strong
                      > belief that the terms podcast and podcasting refer generically to
                      > enclosure-delivered audio and video broadcasts and should not be
                      > claimed as exclusive trademarks by any entity.
                      >
                      > Additionally, the board will gather and publish evidence of generic
                      > use of these terms for the use of trademark examiners and anyone else
                      > researching their use.

                      As the proponent, I'm withdrawing this proposal before the vote
                      begins. I'd like to see whether alternate terms such as netcasting and
                      feedcasting gain any traction.