Joint Proposal: Request an RSS MIME Type

  • rcade
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2006
      This is an official proposal made by Rogers Cadenhead and seconded by
      Greg Smith. We'll have seven days of discussion on the proposal
      followed by seven days in which members can vote on it.

      Proposal

      This proposal is being made jointly by Jon Hanna and Bill Kearney of
      the RSS-DEV Working Group [1] and Rogers Cadenhead and Greg Smith of
      the RSS Advisory Board [2].

      One of the most reliable ways for software to distinguish different
      kinds of files on the Internet is through a MIME media type [3], an
      identifier that's part of the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
      standard [4].

      Web servers return a Content-Type header that identifies the kind of
      file being returned, such as "text/html" for an HTML page, "image/gif"
      for a GIF graphics file, and "application/atom+xml" for Atom
      syndicated feeds.

      RSS documents lack an an official media type.

      If a media type was defined for RSS, when a user opened an RSS feed in
      a web browser, the browser could open the document with the user's
      preferred software -- just as browsers crank up an MP3 player when a
      link to an MP3 is clicked.

      Media types must be requested from the Internet Assigned Numbers
      Authority with a formal application that chooses the desired type,
      explains the nature of the content, and describes why the type is needed.

      Hanna, Kearney, Smith and I have prepared an application to request
      "application/rss+xml" as the official media type for RSS documents:

      http://www.rssboard.org/rss-mime-type-application.txt

      We propose that the RSS-Dev Working Group and RSS Advisory Board
      request "application/rss+xml" as the desired media type for RSS
      documents and encourage its use for all versions of RSS, whether they
      use the RDF Site Summary specification or Really Simple Syndication
      specification.

      2: http://www.rssboard.org/
      3: http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/
      4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME