Re: Re[2]: [rpg-create] Combat System and Minimalizing

  • A Kohler
    Message 1 of 64 , Jun 1, 2000
      From: Nathan E Banks Paganini <paganini@...>
      To: Bradd W Szonye <rpg-create@egroups.com>

      > BWS> You also have the problem that common sense isn't common. There will
      > BWS> always be players who disagree on reality (does the redshirt ensign
      win,
      > BWS> or the stormtrooper?), even when the canonical reality is in the
      > BWS> sourcebook (jeez, combat shotguns are MUCH more effective than
      that!).

      > EXACTLY! That's why rules are neccesary at all! [2]

      Non sequitir. Just because you can't please all of the people all of the
      time doesn't mean you shouldn't try to please most of the people most of the
      time.

      There are 3 types of players:
      1-those who know what they are talking about
      2-those who are wrong
      3-those who just don't know
      (not necessarily the same person on the same topic at any given time, but
      given an infinitely large gaming populace, and enough pizza to feed them,
      you will find all 3 in some proportion on any given topic)

      You will never please type 2. You can always please type 3. So you might as
      well see how many of type 1 you can please.

      > What I have in mind is something that (maybe) gives percentage ratings
      > to the Ensign and the Stormtrooper, or to the Combat Shotgun, so that
      > you can actually show that sort of player in the RULES why what you
      > the GM rule is correct. And sometimes maybe the Ensign would beat the
      > Stormtrooper, so dice would be nice.

      And how are you going to put the ensign and the stormtrooper on the same
      scale? You are going to have to make a comparative model... or a wild ass
      guess. If the former, you aren't doing anything really startling. If the
      latter, you might as well use your little encyclopedia for spares in the
      water closet.

      -Alan
    • Joseph Teller
      Message 64 of 64 , Jun 6, 2000
        On 5 Jun 00, at 22:33, Travis Casey wrote:

        > I've downloaded CS, but haven't had a chance to read through it yet --
        > I've got *way* too much stuff on my "reading backlist". Tinkering
        > With Reality wasn't out at the point I downloaded CS, so I'll probably
        > grab it too soon...
        >
        > My personal favorite system, other than my own, to use when I want a
        > fair amount of mechanics, is CORPS.

        Cosmic isn't very heavy on mechanics really, it depends on what
        you do with it. Cosmic is a lot lighter in pages and mechanics than
        say GURPS, and certainly far from say Champions/Hero and
        Rolemaster. The closest system to it in size is probably Call of
        Cthuhlu or one of the other Basic Roleplaying derrivative systems.

        Joe Teller Chief Librarian
        "Isn't It Time To Put Some Fantasy In Your Life?"
        http://www.fantasylibrary.com