Re: [rpg-create] Re: hello Group

  • Frank Sronce
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2003
      machmoth wrote:

      > --- In rpg-create@yahoogroups.com, "bt_entertain"
      > <bt_entertain@y...> wrote:
      >
      >>so how is every one
      >>anybody working on a game
      >

      > Welcome. It would probably be safe to assume that every active
      > member here is either working on a project, helping others with
      > projects, or both.
      >
      > - MachMoth

      Definitely. With a wide variety, too, ranging from "this game keeps
      track of your accent, grammar and volcabulary ratings separately for
      each language you know" to "draw a Tarot card and interpret that to see
      what happens."
      My own (current) project is a post-Apocalyptic intelligent animals
      setting called "Nuclear Beasts."

      Kiz
      --
      http://www.kizandjenn.com
      Nuclear Beasts design blog http://www.kizandjenn.com/blog.php
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
        --- In rpg-create@yahoogroups.com, Frank Sronce wrote:

        > Definitely. With a wide variety, too, ranging from "this game
        > keeps track of your accent, grammar and volcabulary ratings
        > separately for each language you know" to "draw a Tarot card
        > and interpret that to see what happens."
        >
        > My own (current) project is a post-Apocalyptic intelligent
        > animals setting called "Nuclear Beasts."

        Yeppers... I've toyed with various Task Resolution engines as
        well... One is based on a die scale where the max roll is always
        twice your Ability score, another is based on rolling a die pool of
        d10s, discarding the dice that roll above your Target, and then
        spending the remaining dice to do stuff, depending on a Menu that can
        be unique for each character, and another engine is based on use of
        both dice (d10s) and cards (a deck of 120)...
      • mjsicree
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
          How my Buffalo system, which is currently in its 3rd version? Almost anything can be simulated through a toss of 12 chicken bones into a styrafoam bowl. The rule book, which includes 1273 "position diagrams" for determining the result of a roll, is a bit hefty (not to mention sticky) - but the result is a thouroghly satisfying and filling game. BW v3 also includes some interesting milieus (including Thai, Southwestern & "Blazing") which you just can't find in any other system.

          -mjs

          foxiekins <Foxiekins@...> wrote:
          --- In rpg-create@yahoogroups.com, Frank Sronce wrote:

          > Definitely. With a wide variety, too, ranging from "this game
          > keeps track of your accent, grammar and volcabulary ratings
          > separately for each language you know" to "draw a Tarot card
          > and interpret that to see what happens."
          >
          > My own (current) project is a post-Apocalyptic intelligent
          > animals setting called "Nuclear Beasts."

          Yeppers... I've toyed with various Task Resolution engines as
          well... One is based on a die scale where the max roll is always
          twice your Ability score, another is based on rolling a die pool of
          d10s, discarding the dice that roll above your Target, and then
          spending the remaining dice to do stuff, depending on a Menu that can
          be unique for each character, and another engine is based on use of
          both dice (d10s) and cards (a deck of 120)...

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Sidhain
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
            Hello, lets see

            Currently: Playtests are going on of Hearts and Souls--superhero game, broad
            strokes, vague "performance" design whose intent is to emulate the spirit of
            comic books. Focus on player driven mechanics rather than GM driven ones.

            Playtest and Rewrite for Style of my fantasy RPG nothing new, just vanilla
            tropes done "right" none of this kill things and take its stuff mentality,
            just mythic, folkloric fantasy. Shift in combat from standard "roll and get
            result" to "roll and choose penalties on opponant' is currently being worked
            upon. (Aiming for player initiated events--so "I strike and bash his shield
            aside leaving him open for Gordon's Spear.." (penalty to defense) rather
            than "I hit.." "I hit.." yawn.

            In addition to research for settings above I'm contemplating--

            Empire of Night Prospectus

            This is the Empire of Night, the EON.

            He is the Emperor of the First Eternal Dynast, and he has been dead for
            14,000 years.

            The Pharaoh of the Earth. He rules the night of long vast space for parsecs
            beyond our tiny sphere.

            His legions have enslaved humanity at their own foolish bequest.

            They are made to toil planet side to grow their own food.

            Their blood is stolen by the leechcollar, and is harvested by the overseers
            of each hemo-farm to fuel the Legions.

            .

            We are humanities last hope, terrorists and freedom fighters against the
            long black reach of EON.

            We are freed slaves, humans one and all.

            We are Aqo, alien merchants seeking genocidal revenge for the death of a
            single member of our kind.

            We are Lorzh, alien primitives with a Holy War to aid humanity and return
            the dead to their graves.

            We are priests, and warriors.

            We are the Redeeming Dawn come at last to end the EON.

            System: TBD, focus on cinematic, space opera, with strong lean to player
            control of outcomes while still creating a "big movie" feel.
          • foxiekins
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
              --- In rpg-create@yahoogroups.com, mjsicree wrote:
              > How my Buffalo system, which is currently in its 3rd version?
              > Almost anything can be simulated through a toss of 12 chicken
              > bones into a styrafoam bowl. The rule book, which includes
              > 1273 "position diagrams" for determining the result of a roll,
              > is a bit hefty (not to mention sticky) - but the result is a
              > thouroghly satisfying and filling game. BW v3 also includes some
              > interesting milieus (including Thai, Southwestern & "Blazing")
              > which you just can't find in any other system.
              >
              > -mjs

              So, does the game come with additional spice pack supplements...?
            • foxiekins
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
                I like to tweak existing systems as well... Right now, I'm fiddling
                around with Ironclaw/Jadeclaw and 3rd Edition Silhouette...

                This is primarily because Ironclaw is the only game I've managed to
                GM any fantasy with, and because I have a Sci-Fi background I'd like
                to run games in as well... I tried once, but got sabotaged by a
                problem player...

                One thing I'd like to do for Ironclaw is figure out how to adapt the
                Magic System for World Tree to Ironclaw mechanics... World Tree has
                a formidable collection of spells to its credit... To that end, I'm
                perusing the free download of Ars Magica from Atlas Games, since they
                seemed to be a major influence on World Tree...

                So this list is a place for "House Rules" as well as original games...
              • Frank Sronce
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Sidhain wrote:
                  > Hello, lets see
                  >
                  > Playtest and Rewrite for Style of my fantasy RPG nothing new, just vanilla
                  > tropes done "right" none of this kill things and take its stuff mentality,
                  > just mythic, folkloric fantasy. Shift in combat from standard "roll and get
                  > result" to "roll and choose penalties on opponant' is currently being worked
                  > upon. (Aiming for player initiated events--so "I strike and bash his shield
                  > aside leaving him open for Gordon's Spear.." (penalty to defense) rather
                  > than "I hit.." "I hit.." yawn.

                  Hm. Yeah, that's a cool way to handle it. I generally allow that sort
                  of thing (make up an effect) on critical hits, but not with regular
                  attacks... might be worth considering adding it to my game as a general
                  rule, with a lot of examples of the sort of thing you can accomplish.
                  Let me know if you ever put any of your stuff for that up on the net;
                  I'd definitely be interested in looking at it.

                  Kiz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
                    > > Playtest and Rewrite for Style of my fantasy RPG nothing new, just
                    vanilla
                    > > tropes done "right" none of this kill things and take its stuff
                    mentality,
                    > > just mythic, folkloric fantasy. Shift in combat from standard "roll and
                    get
                    > > result" to "roll and choose penalties on opponant' is currently being
                    worked
                    > > upon. (Aiming for player initiated events--so "I strike and bash his
                    shield
                    > > aside leaving him open for Gordon's Spear.." (penalty to defense)
                    rather
                    > > than "I hit.." "I hit.." yawn.
                    > >

                    > Hm. Yeah, that's a cool way to handle it. I generally allow that sort
                    > of thing (make up an effect) on critical hits, but not with regular
                    > attacks... might be worth considering adding it to my game as a general
                    > rule, with a lot of examples of the sort of thing you can accomplish.
                    > Let me know if you ever put any of your stuff for that up on the net;
                    > I'd definitely be interested in looking at it.

                    Certainly,
                    the biggest issue is that my play-group and ofte local playtesters like it
                    as is, but it just bugs me, I want a little bit of an improvement over the
                    "to hit" nature of combat, although I'm afraid it will require significant
                    rewrite of how attributes work and are used (as I can see blows aimed
                    intentionally to penalize someone's movement, attack, defense, or even
                    "survival" but there is no survival roll or anything but I can imagine its
                    what other games call called shots, except this is the default. Choose an
                    outcome and attempt to achieve enough return towards success to get it, or,
                    alternately roll to get your return then "spend it" buying effects--this can
                    be split to even make "multiple attacks" part of the core rules--if you earn
                    six successes for example to hit you can spend three penalize their defense,
                    three on actual attack to kill (penalizing their Endurance/Con what have
                    you) and then --the way it works is you make a flurry of blows the first to
                    batter away their attempts to parry then strike to kill.

                    However, it may be making the abstraction too far removed as I like
                    non-abstract combat...

                    *shrugs* I'm working on it.
                  • Frank Sronce
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 1, 2003
                      foxiekins wrote:

                      > One thing I'd like to do for Ironclaw is figure out how to adapt the
                      > Magic System for World Tree to Ironclaw mechanics... World Tree has
                      > a formidable collection of spells to its credit... To that end, I'm
                      > perusing the free download of Ars Magica from Atlas Games, since they
                      > seemed to be a major influence on World Tree...

                      Hm. Yeah, that would definitely be interesting. Seems doable, too..
                      characters get dice ratings for each noun and verb they know. The
                      problem would be how to combine them... like, would it be a damage test?
                      Or just a combined roll?
                      I think it could work pretty well, but it would probably need some
                      special rules to handle high powered spells, since Ironclaw forcibly
                      limits everyone to a max of 12 on a roll. You'd probably want it to be a
                      damage test of some sort, then, so that really grossly powerful mages
                      _could_ get off incredibly powerful spells, maybe something like how
                      Blessed magic works.

                      > So this list is a place for "House Rules" as well as original games...

                      And I've got a ton of house rules for Ironclaw myself. It's an easy
                      system to tinker with.

                      Kiz