Re[3]: [rpg-create] Initi6tive Mechanic

  • Larry D. Hols
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hallo,

      >> So...if running a D&D combat, I'd guage the "quickness of effect"
      >> on how many points negative the fatal blow took the character...he could
      >> strike a blow, linger for a while on the floor, able to talk and crawl a
      >> little before expiring...or clutch at his opponent's throat while foaming
      >> liberally down the front of his armor...or simply bug his eyes out and
      >> drop. Cool.
      >> Could work it into most any game via that sort of approach.
      >
      >Definitely. With D&D you could add in a CON roll as soon as someone's
      >hit points are reduced to zero or less, to see if they drop or can
      >keep going.

      That, too. I was simply looking to not toss another die, though.

      Larry

      Larry D. Hols
      Crookedface Games
    • Foxiekins@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
        --- In rpg-create@y..., "Larry D. Hols" <crkdface@t...> wrote:
        > Hallo,
        >
        > >> So...if running a D&D combat, I'd guage the
        > >> "quickness of effect" on how many points negative the fatal blow
        > >> took the character... he could strike a blow, linger for a while
        > >> on the floor, able to talk and crawl a little before expiring...
        > >> or clutch at his opponent's throat while foaming liberally down
        > >> the front of his armor...or simply bug his eyes out and drop.
        > >> Cool.
        > >> Could work it into most any game via that sort of
        > >> approach.
        > >
        > >Definitely. With D&D you could add in a CON roll as soon as
        > >someone's hit points are reduced to zero or less, to see if they
        > >drop or can keep going.
        >
        > That, too. I was simply looking to not toss another die,
        > though.

        That's even simpler... You pass out and die when your Hit Points and
        your CON add to zero or less...
      • George
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
          Hi Foxiekins,

          You wrote:

          >> >Definitely. With D&D you could add in a CON roll as soon as
          >> >someone's hit points are reduced to zero or less, to see if they
          >> >drop or can keep going.
          >>
          >> That, too. I was simply looking to not toss another die,
          >> though.
          >>

          > That's even simpler... You pass out and die when your Hit Points and
          > your CON add to zero or less...

          If you mean the death level should be equal to -CON (thus average
          people will die at -10) I agree, that's a good idea.

          However the discussion was about determining whether the person
          actually drops when they reach zero hit points, or whether they might
          be able to keep going, if only for a round or two. I was suggesting a
          CON roll when you reach zero or -ve, Larry suggested basing the chance
          on how -ve the last blow took you, so as to avoid an extra roll.

          --
          Cheers,
          George
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
            George wrote on Mon Nov 5 01:05:17 2001:

            > Hi Foxiekins,

            > >> That, too. I was simply looking to not toss another die,
            > >> though.
            > >>

            > > That's even simpler... You pass out and die when your Hit Points and
            > > your CON add to zero or less...
            >
            > If you mean the death level should be equal to -CON (thus average
            > people will die at -10) I agree, that's a good idea.
            >
            > However the discussion was about determining whether the person
            > actually drops when they reach zero hit points, or whether they might
            > be able to keep going, if only for a round or two. I was suggesting a
            > CON roll when you reach zero or -ve, Larry suggested basing the chance
            > on how -ve the last blow took you, so as to avoid an extra roll.

            IIRC, D&D3 does allow a partial action when you are negative (or just
            0? I forget, and no books here); it may require a Fortitude or Will
            save. However, if you don't have a positive HP total at the end of
            your turn, you go down and are losing hit points.

            I can look it up when I get home.

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies
            kjdavies@...

            "It's *all* good when you've got ephemeral possessing
            entities of pure evil." -- Dave Harper, 2001/10/10
          • Bradd W. Szonye
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
              On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:00:17AM -0800, Keith Davies wrote:
              > IIRC, D&D3 does allow a partial action when [your hit points] are
              > negative (or just 0? I forget, and no books here); it may require a
              > Fortitude or Will save. However, if you don't have a positive HP
              > total at the end of your turn, you go down and are losing hit points.

              If you have 0 hit points exactly, then you can take partial actions. If
              you do anything strenuous, however, you take 1 point of damage, which
              knocks you out and starts the dying process.
              --
              Bradd W. Szonye Work: bradd@...
              Software Design Engineer Home: bradds@...
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2001
                Bradd W. Szonye wrote on Mon Nov 5 10:35:26 2001:

                > On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:00:17AM -0800, Keith Davies wrote:
                > > IIRC, D&D3 does allow a partial action when [your hit points] are
                > > negative (or just 0? I forget, and no books here); it may require a
                > > Fortitude or Will save. However, if you don't have a positive HP
                > > total at the end of your turn, you go down and are losing hit points.
                >
                > If you have 0 hit points exactly, then you can take partial actions. If
                > you do anything strenuous, however, you take 1 point of damage, which
                > knocks you out and starts the dying process.

                ah, yes, that makes more sense.

                heh, in a recent game I was playing a halfling rogue. We'd been fighting
                skaven and (thanks to a *really* dumb move on a temporary party member -
                if he hadn't been temporary before this, he certainly was after, 'cause
                we were going to kill him) were getting our asses handed to us. In
                short, we were left with all but one of the party down, and he was
                fighting the last skaven in the room. Everyone who was down had been
                stabilized, and I was at 0 hp.

                I decided we were *not* going to be captured... if it sounded like our
                guy lost the fight, I had a couple of blasting caps (mmm... blasting
                caps - nonmagical fireballs) on me. If our guy hadn't won his fight,
                I was prepared to spend my 'one partial action' setting them off.

                At -1 and dropping... who cares, at that point? It's not like I'd get
                a saving throw against the blast....

                Keith