Re: [Enfield] ‚s‚ˆe bullets ticking sir!

  • JanÅke Lang
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2000
      Stephen!

      You might want to check the Oil Pumpworm Seal while you're at it, it is a
      known weak spot on the engine and it will result in air in oil and low
      oilpressure to the crank and overnight leakage into the crank!!!
      -For you non-techies; It's the small corc or rubbery thingie on the
      timingside inside the big bolt on the case! Mine are shot on all my bikes
      after 10 000km and a change now and then (quick and pretty easy) will save
      your engine lots of damage. It's cheap too!

      Jan

      _______________________________
      JanÅke & Katarina Lang
      CURVES & PIXELS / SPINIFEX / BULLETS MCC
      Mudda Waddo, Parra, Bardez, Goa, Indien.
      Ph 0832-409081 Mob: 9823113740
      mailto:spinifex@...
    • David Renn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2001
        Stephen,

        There seems to be a number of bikes experiencing this issue of worn
        rocker blocks and I have a private suspicion that this may be a
        manufacturing problem. The original RE components were made in
        sintered iron, which should wear reasonably well, being porous,
        sintered iron will hold oil. My problem being that I can't remember
        in the "far off days" if this was an issue for the Bullet or if
        people just put up with it.

        The rockers are fed by the scavenge and the pump diameter being twice
        that of the pressure side, there will be air delivered also. People
        like Hitchcocks in the UK sell upgraded feed pumps but this,
        obviously, would not affect the tappet feed (I have bleated about RE
        oil pumps in the past!).

        The 50 weight oil would be fine for hot Indian conditions, in colder
        weather I have used a lighter oil (40 weight) (not that where I live
        in Oz ever gets that cold). I think that the changes in the oil
        recommended is a move by the company to cover all climatic conditions
        for export countries. The problem with the heavier oils is warming
        them up initially so they can do the job properly. One gent I knew
        used a sump heater in the middle of the English winter, an old
        parrafin wick thing that I expected to catch his bike alight (never
        did!!!!).

        There has been a number of discussions regarding oil types (search
        the archive) but I would talk to a reputable local dealer for advice
        on the local weather conditions and matching oils.

        --- In royalenfield@egroups.com, basilwatson@h... wrote:
        > Thank you all for the advise , the problem was found to be the age
        > old tappet blockwear. So out came the pens and pencils and a new
        one
        > was drawn up made of leaded tin bronze , the best material I could
        > think of to run in boundry lube cond against steel!- ie
        insufficient
        > oil flow.
        >
        > Also a few calc later sudgested that I use a 60 weight oil.
        difficult