RE: Re: Re: [Enfield] RE: Crankcase Pressure

  • david_boyt
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013

      Thanks Tom for all the advice. I've been thinking. Would it be a good idea to use Autosol to lap in the plungers to the pump disc? Or just to use a very fine emery cloth?

      --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, <royalenfield@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I have the black rubber timing cover gasket, so I use no sealant.
      If I were to use the paper gasket, I would be inclined to use a non-hardening sealant like hylomar which will not ever get hard, but seals the gasket. If any did get into the oil hole, it would just wash thru. That's the strong point of using hylomar in these applications. It's safer for not getting a clog.

      If you had two gaskets on there, and you now only have one, you should definitely check that cam end-play situation, and use the shims accordingly so that you have enough shims, but you don't get binding. If you put enough shims on to get it to bind up when you tighten the timing cover, remove one shim from each cam spindle, and see if it turns free after you tighten-up the timing cover. If it does, then you have enough shims for setting end-play close enough.

      Tom