Re: [Enfield] center stand drag

  • Alan Bartlett
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 23, 2013
      Loosen all the bolts that support the stand (3 of them through plates and engine) position the stand higher tighten the bolts.  This should fix the problem.

      Alan

      On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM, wardsguy97 <wardsguy@...> wrote:

      Greetings all-

      Ron Cowan here. I am the owner of a new to me 05 military. Love it, but wondering what to do regarding the center stand drag on left turns??
      Other than removing the whole stand. Is it the pedal portion used for pushing down with foot? If so, possibly having a fold down portion for that function??

    • Ron

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
          It must be the part that sticks out for you to put your foot on. I have a BSA A65 which has a similar problem on left handers you remember not to lean as much on left handers because the bit that sticks out hits the road. On the other hand my 1968 bullet doesn't have the bit sticking out and you can lean as much as you wish.

          Victor

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
            Thanks Victor

            As it appears I won't be slowing down or loosing weight, perhaps I can heat and bend the pedal portion up a bit.

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 24, 2013, at 5:14 AM, "victor" <feelixthecat@...> wrote:

            > It must be the part that sticks out for you to put your foot on. I have a BSA A65 which has a similar problem on left handers you remember not to lean as much on left handers because the bit that sticks out hits the road. On the other hand my 1968 bullet doesn't have the bit sticking out and you can lean as much as you wish.
            >
            > Victor
            >
            > --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Ron <wardsguy@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Thanks so much. Will give it a try.
            >>
            >> Sent from my iPhone
            >>
            >> On Apr 23, 2013, at 4:53 AM, Alan Bartlett <alan.bartlett99@...> wrote:
            >>

            >>> Loosen all the bolts that support the stand (3 of them through plates and engine) position the stand higher tighten the bolts. This should fix the problem.
            >>>
            >>> Alan

          • Rick F
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 24, 2013
              On 4/24/2013 7:31 AM, Ron wrote:
              > As it appears I won't be slowing down or loosing weight, perhaps I
              > can heat and bend the pedal portion up a bit.

              You can install longer shocks and larger tires (up to a point) for more
              clearance. I have done this and you may be surprised at how much more
              clearance you get. You may also be surprised to find that when your
              centerstand is deployed it no longer raises the wheel off the ground, if
              it reaches the ground itself! The side stand, if fitted, may now allow
              too much lean. Everything is a trade-off

              Cheers
              Rick F
            • William Deutermann
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
                I was just putting my 2005 bullet in the garage when I noticed that the foot pegs stick out considerably farther than the center stand pedal - far enough that  the peg would hit the ground well before the stand. This is not a military model, but could it be that your center stand is off center?

                Yrs,

                Bill D

                Sent from my iPod

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 26, 2013
                  Hi Bill

                  I'm pretty sure it is the center stand

                  It only touched down so far when riding double

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On 4/24/2013 7:31 AM, Ron wrote:
                  > As it appears I won't be slowing down or loosing weight, perhaps I
                  > can heat and bend the pedal portion up a bit.

                  You can install longer shocks and larger tires (up to a point) for more
                  clearance. I have done this and you may be surprised at how much more
                  clearance you get. You may also be surprised to find that when your
                  centerstand is deployed it no longer raises the wheel off the ground, if
                  it reaches the ground itself! The side stand, if fitted, may now allow
                  too much lean. Everything is a trade-off

                  Cheers
                  Rick F

                • Jon Miccolis
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013

                    You can install longer shocks and larger tires (up to a point) for more
                    clearance. I have done this and you may be surprised at how much more
                    clearance you get. You may also be surprised to find that when your
                    centerstand is deployed it no longer raises the wheel off the ground, if
                    it reaches the ground itself! The side stand, if fitted, may now allow
                    too much lean. Everything is a trade-off

                    Cheers
                    Rick F

                    Not to hijack or change the subject but in my trials conversion I recently installed larger tires and went 1" up on the shocks.  This rendered the center stand more decorative as it stood the cycle upright, just sort of, but no longer lifted the rear wheel off of the ground.  So I removed the center stand.

                    Using the side stand then resulted in quite a dramatic and unsettling lean.  I took a spare shortened KLR650 side stand and moved the spring retaining nub from the front to the rear of the stand and installed.

                    This is where things were a few weeks ago.  In this picture the front turn signals are just hanging there and the side stand hasn't been replaced yet. Since this photo the side stand has been adapted, small led indicators have replaced the front signals, and I have replaced the seat with a Le Pera sprung solo.  All in all I am pleased with the conversion so far.

                    Before all of this my center stand tended to bob and bounce when I rode over bumpy terrain.  It started to make me nervous.  I ordered new springs from Hitchcocks, installed, and the center stand behaved.

                    -Jon
                  • Rick F
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
                      Jon, lets see it with the sprung solo seat.  How is the front affixed?

                      Cheers
                      Rick F

                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
                        On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Rick F <twotyred@...> wrote:

                        Jon, lets see it with the sprung solo seat.  How is the front affixed?

                        Cheers
                        Rick F

                        Sent from my iPad

                        Hello Rick,

                        Here is a pic from today with the Le Pera.  I think that I like this seat better than the lycette solo or the repurposed Sportster saddle.

                        The front fender is a flea-market find.  Not sure what it was originally from but it was $10.00 so I bought it.  I drilled it and bolted three "L" brackets to it.  I then fashioned a piece out of scrap to fit on the studs for the fork clamps and fork crown cover plate.  The other end of the "L" brackets are bolted to this piece.  It seems sturdy so far and doesn't seem to vibrate any more than any other part of the cycle.  I'll keep an eye on it though and may add a few spot welds in future just for extra insurance.

                        -Jon
                      • Rick F
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 27, 2013
                          That's a bike built for Burkes Garden that!  Does the sprung saddle sway back and forth?  I have tried sprung saddles but found them too wiggly.  Did you weld the front mount to the frame?

                          Cheers
                          Rick F

                          Sent from my iPad

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 28, 2013
                            On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Rick F <twotyred@...> wrote:

                            That's a bike built for Burkes Garden that!  Does the sprung saddle sway back and forth?  I have tried sprung saddles but found them too wiggly.  Did you weld the front mount to the frame?

                            Cheers
                            Rick F

                            Hello Rick,

                            Indeed - now if I could ever figure out a way to get it all the way out there!  Certainly it is doing well on the loose and compacted gravel roads in rural NW Illinois as well as on a few of the less rustic dirt trails that I have been on so far.  All in all I am relatively pleased.

                            No sway on this particular saddle.  The lycette-style sprung saddle I have has an unsettling shimmy and sway.  That is why I eventually switched to the old Sportster saddle.  I tried shorter and "beefier" springs on the lycette but no luck.  The Le Pera though, for mostly unknown reasons, does not sway.  I know the mounting position for the springs is a bit different and that my seat settles into the La Pera seat just a bit differently than the lycette,  Maybe it has more to do with my seating position?

                            The front mudguard bracket(s) aren't welded yet.  Probably in the future but for now it is simply "L" bracketed to a piece out of scrap that fits on the studs for the fork clamps and fork crown cover plate.  I used 3 brackets and it seems fairly solid for now.  I'll keep watching it though and like I said will likely apply a weld or three in the future.

                            -Jon