One Life To Ride

  • P Snidal
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2013
      I have just finished reading Ajit Harisinghani's excellent saga,
      access to which he posted on this forum a month or two aga.

      Harisinghani, Ajit (2012-04-01). One Life to Ride - A Motorcycle
      Journey to the High Himalayas (Kindle Location 2406). . Kindle Edition.

      Just in case anyone cares, I'd like to recommend this lovely little
      tale to any and all who have not yet had the experience. It's what I
      expected _Zen_And_the_Art_ to be but wasn't.
      Not a book to teach one much about Enfields, but plenty to inspire
      the riding of, and he shares a great deal in the Lessons In Life
      Department. His is an enlightened philosophy which is good to
      share. I particularly liked his impression of life from the pov of a
      group of young Indian conscripts trapped in the wilds of the Kashmiri
      border. A quote:
      " Will I, sitting comfortably in my chair at home a week from now,
      sipping my coffee, read about an ambush or an explosion which had
      snatched away these lives? Will Shivnath get married and have a
      family? Or are his mother and sister destined to get that dreaded
      message which will tell them he was gone? These morbid thoughts do
      nothing to lift my spirits. I force a smile as I wish them goodbye.
      Only when I am back on the road with my face hidden under the helmet
      do I let my laden dam overflow. I am crying. I feel an empty void in
      my stomach. For the first time I have understood the soldier's
      sacrifice for his country. Paying with his life for those who use
      nationalism or religion to keep the broth of human misery boiling."

      To keep it Enfield, I was gratified to read how well this little bul
      of his took its licking and kept on ticking.

      If you've got a few hours to kill, you could do worse!
      ps
    • vijay alur
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2013
        Liked the review of thee book. many people in this forum may end up buying that book.

        you owe an endorsement deal from the author of the book for doing this :-) LOL!!

        Regards,
        Vijay Alur.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
          Quite true Pete. I bought the paperback version several years ago and felt much the same. It is an excellent read.

          --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, P Snidal <snidepete@...> wrote:

          > I have just finished reading Ajit Harisinghani's excellent saga,
          > access to which he posted on this forum a month or two aga.

          Snip Snip