Re: Ho-hum.. Another day, another Bullet ride...

  • meharidude
    Message 1 of 20 , May 1 1:12 AM
      I dunno why it stopped, it was between gearshifts. It went poof, then silence. But started on first kick.

      And i had cars close behind me, and i thought that i would be worse off if i slowed down trying to bump start it, or if the rear whel would lock up.

      --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Warner <azwarner@...> wrote:

      > 30 mph? I wouldn't be fooling with kicking it, just pull the decompressor, pop the clutch in 3rd and release the decompressor after the engine is turning.
      >
      > How did the engine stall at speed?
      >
      > Sent from Chuck's iPod
      >
      > On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:16 PM, "meharidude" <kim@...> wrote:
      >
      > And i have clocked some 500 miles since last friday..With the biggest problem being that strange oil mystery and a tiny sweat from the copper cylinder seal...
      > I even managed to kickstart it on the go. Well the engine stalled during a gearchange, and i had cars behind me, and i was doing 30mph. So heel on neutral finder, unfold kicker, find compression, press decomp, kick once, find third again. Semms complicated on paper, but one can actually do it while on the road at speed..Not recommendable, but it can be done.
      >
      > --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Vinci" <vinxr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > But, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuah!
      > > W H A T a ride it was. Fully 94.7km!
      > > And not a missed start. Not a misfire. Not
      > > even a fried fuse (for old times sake)...
      > > Ain't it just.. so.. luv..er...ly! Vinci.

    • Vinci
      Message 2 of 20 , May 1 12:47 PM
        500miles since last friday? Man, you Do ride your bike,
        don't you, Kim!
        And th way you described starting th bike, i've tried
        that many a time, and it certainly can be done, and it
        Is tricky in traffic if th bike lets one down as it
        tends to do at times, starting a lot of maddening car
        horns sounding off soon...
        But i do believe that th trick detailed below by Chuck
        (hey Thanks!) would be both less stressful, and neater
        to use. Gonna have to find out for myself. Vinci.

        Posted by: "Chuck Warner" azwarner@... azwarner
        Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 pm (PDT)

        Message 3 of 20 , May 1 1:06 PM
          Last saturday was 175 miles, sunday 25th some 90miles, same on thursday, it all ads up you know..Then the smaller rides around the neighbourhood, you know the 4 mile trip to the market that suddenly winds further 20 miles on the clock:-D..

          Message 4 of 20 , May 2 12:08 PM
            Hullo Kim.
            You must excuse my being so obtuse, but 'a four mile trip to
            th market' makes me laugh; i thought people in places like
            Denmark DROVE to work, cuccooned in a climate controlled four
            wheeler! With th bikes doing duty as showmobiles, and objects
            of interest to pass an idle hour.
            Well. It just goes to show you, i guess, that there is such
            a thing as finding down to earth people in th oddest places on
            th planet. :)

            I think your bike must've stopped mid ride, due to th fact of
            th change in th amount of fuel /air into th engine at that
            moment, and that fuel /air must've'd some form of impurity in
            it, either from th fuel itself, or elsewhere, leading to a
            missed /interrupted explosion in th chamber.. at least that's
            th way i've reasoned it out when that's happened on my bike
            (rare, but not uncommon. It can lead to an embarassing situation
            though, and has), and leave it be. Vinci.

            Message 5 of 20 , May 2 1:27 PM
              Nono, i have lived in Denmark for 42 years, and one year abroad, making me 43..in the 42 years here, i have only seen one snowmobile..It was in a big shopping mall advertising for Greenland prawns:-D

              But i must admit, we got some snow this winter, but usually we get one or max two weeks with snow..This year we had nearly two months.

              All my snowmobiling was done in Wisconsin some 25 years ago;-D

              I dont even have half a mile of walking to work, as i short cut through the woods. But about 1 1/2 if i decide to use the tarmac roads, not really a distance that excuses the use of a car or bike..
              I live in the outskirts of the town, i would take me 10-15 minutes to walk downtown..If i take a slight detour i can get the 4 mile in total, but i'm getting old when i ride the bike, and sometimes i get lost on the country lanes..

              I have a picture taken a few days after buying the bike last september, the odometer says 9327kms. Now it reads 12200 so pretty close to 2900kms, and the 2300 has been covered since the rebuild in november, november alone counted for the initial 500km breakin. Bike has been garaged from dec 1st to march 1st (insurance reasons), so a little less than 1800 kms since march 1st.So thats some 1125 miles in 2 months..
              For instance, April 1st, 350miles..in one day, just to open a motorcycle museum. (That was a the first longer ride on the new engine, very carefully driven..)
              So you might say i use my bike..

              Message 6 of 20 , May 3 11:49 AM
                Hullo Kim.
                I meant Showmobile, nor snowmobile (though your account of your
                snowmobiling experience was interesting. Never seen one myself
                in all my thirty nine years of existence; haven't seen th snow
                yet either! unless what's in th freezer counts! Have to make that
                trip to Shimla i'm always putting off) meaning as an shiny
                implement for showing off. That's th way it usually functions here
                in Goa.
                Few (few includes me, btw) ride th bike as it was meant to be
                ridden.. as a streetbike. A task th Bullet excels at, particularly
                th much maligned 500, due to it's better p/w ratio.

                Shocking. You do really use th bike (i've a lot to learn about how
                humans function, i guess). Your mile readings puts my ride times
                totally into th shade. I mean, forty thousand km in 65 months is
                just over 600km per month! But it was much more on th 350, I kid
                you not. Guess i've gotten bogged down with work now, and my
                workplace being less than seven km from my place soesn't help add
                th kms. But now that th bike's doing so well, running like new
                after th rebuild, and th renewed interest in Bullets after this
                forum, i'm thinking that i ought to ride much more. Maybe latch on
                to one of th Bullet gangs (made up of usually shiny bikes from five
                to a couple of dozen parked in a line at th beach) around here;
                i've seen two bunches one evening, so there's at least two groups.
                And that's only at my neighbourhood beach, there must be more of
                these groups around. Th Bullet is definitely a hottie around here,
                and with th new bike launched (th new 500 is very impressive) is
                even more so! Vinci.

                Message 7 of 20 , May 3 2:17 PM
                  Oh showmobile..I somehow imagined you thought Denmark would be like say Finland, Northpole or Greenland;-D

                  I try to keep my bike clean, i have even polished parts of it, not to a mirror chrome shine but to a nice not too bright finish.
                  I try to keep it neat, not a showmobile, but neat and presentable.
                  People who know me, would also know that if i buy a self propelled apparatus, i use it..
                  For instance, in 1993 i bought a 1972ish Citroen Mehari, that i got on the road on Sept 9th that year..By April the next spring it had covered 35.000kms since the purchase. We have biannual tech inspections of all cars here, and tester said "Mister, have you changed the speedometer? It reads 90.000kms more than it did 2 years ago..." "Oh really? I thought we covered more than that..."
                  That little buggar ate 270kms 5 times a week, and further 150 each weekend.. By 1997 we had kept it running for nearly 200.000kms.
                  A slight rebuild in 2000 kept it running untill last year, when the odometre read another 100.000 kms. And that in spite of my tiny family of two had another car as well. Oh well the Mehari saw England (1994) and Scotland (2005) one some of it's detours..
                  If the weather is good, i take the bike, if it's bad or i'll need bigger cargo space, i go for the Mehari..

                  But i'm grounded..Sadly half of my face has been paralysed since Friday morning, and saturday was spent on 2 hospitals, and i just returned from what was supposed to be a 1 o'clock hearing test, but ended up with 2 lumbal punctures and several blood tests, and i was released 6 hours later..With another appointment tomorrow at 1 o'clock for further testing..With clear instructions on not to remove the hospital's ID wristband..

                  AAAAAhghhhh i don't have time for this, and drinking and eating is a bitch as half of the input ends up on the shirt or on the carpet..I can't even whistle the dog anymore, it ends as a poor parody of blowing a raspberry..
                  Getting old and drooling...

                • Derek H. Wood
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 4 2:00 AM
                    Good Morning Friend.

                    I hope that you get well soon, your postings always make interesting reading.

                    Sounds a little like you may have succumbed to 'Bells Palsy', but I'm no medical man, so I hope that your affliction goes as rapidly as it came.

                    Very Best Regards.

                    I.H.D. - (Derek)

> [...]

                    > > > th market' makes me laugh; i thought people in places like
                    > > > Denmark DROVE to work, cuccooned in a climate controlled four
                    > > > wheeler! With th bikes doing duty as showmobiles, and objects
                    > > > of interest to pass an idle hour.
                    > > > Well. It just goes to show you, i guess, that there is such
                    > > > a thing as finding down to earth people in th oddest places on
                    > > > th planet. :)
                    > > >
                    > > > I think your bike must've stopped mid ride, due to th fact of
                    > > > th change in th amount of fuel /air into th engine at that
                    > > > moment, and that fuel /air must've'd some form of impurity in
                    > > > it, either from th fuel itself, or elsewhere, leading to a
                    > > > missed /interrupted explosion in th chamber.. at least that's
                    > > > th way i've reasoned it out when that's happened on my bike
                    > > > (rare, but not uncommon. It can lead to an embarassing situation
                    > > > though, and has), and leave it be. Vinci.

                  • Vinci Raposo
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 4 11:42 AM

                      Kim.
                      Sad to hear about your illness; i'll say a short prayer,
                      and that's a promise.
                      But do pick up a P.G. Wodehouse soon as you can read,
                      and clamp on th music of Enya round your ears, and
                      watch yourself getting better. These are tested remedies!
                      And may you ride th Bullet again soon!
                      And your Mehari (just had a look at Mehari's on th net,
                      and they're apparently rated highly). Man, you Must be a
                      hardy sort, to be fooling about with that thing. Looks a bit
                      of a compromise to me, but i suppose i'm wrong about
                      that.
                      Anyway, speedy recovery to you. Vinci.

                      Posted by: "meharidude" kim@...   meharidude
                      Mon May 3, 2010 2:17 pm (PDT)

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 4 2:19 PM
                        Good evening, after yet another day at the hospital..
                        I hope it's just a (passing) case of Bell's, but everything has to be checked as i live close to the woods (and we have a dog) there is a risk of it being Lyme disease. But it could be loads of other infections that might be the cause. So my medical regime is a cocktial of steriods and antibiotics..Just to be on the safe side untill the tests come in.
                        Well, tomorrow i'll have to be at another ward at 9 in the morning (is this the third or fourth ward by now??)

                        --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Derek H. Wood" <g4zjl@...> wrote:

                        > Good Morning Friend.
                        >
                        > I hope that you get well soon, your postings always make interesting reading.
                        >
                        > Sounds a little like you may have succumbed to 'Bells Palsy', but I'm no medical man, so I hope that your affliction goes as rapidly as it came.
                        >
                        > Very Best Regards.
                        >
                        > I.H.D. - (Derek)
                      • meharidude
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 4 2:35 PM
                          The compromise in the Mehari, to me, works like this:

                          It's not a bike, but gives the bike feeling (actually even more so, as the screen folds down and helmet is not mandatory) though the lean is to the wrong side.
                          It's a fun car, but dirt cheap in road taxes and has a good fuelmileage. (actually the road tax is HALF that of the RE, we pay by the weight of the car (Mehari is ultra light), and "trucks" registered under the older tax rules are cheaper than saloons, and on top of that mine is +35 years old and falls under the "25% roadtax rule for vintage vehicles").
                          It has a 400kg payload, plus another 400kg on the trailer, so a bit on the practical side too..
                          And it has this soooooft suspension, and sometimes i have to check if i actually got back on the tarmac after the offroading:-D

                          Oh Enya, i know her, and like the music..But but but..
                          If i want activation of various nerves leading to movement in my body, it's something quite different i'd put on.
                          Rockabilly:-D (Check my channel on youtube..search for meharidude)
                          (sadly hospital policy do not allow a hollowbody guitar and matching amp in the ward..i guess it'll be the Mpeg player and headphones once again)

                          --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Vinci Raposo <vinxr@...> wrote:

                          > Kim.
                          > Sad to hear about your illness; i'll say a short prayer,
                          > and that's a promise.
                          > But do pick up a P.G. Wodehouse soon as you can read,
                          > and clamp on th music of Enya round your ears, and
                          > watch yourself getting better. These are tested remedies!
                          > And may you ride th Bullet again soon!
                          > And your Mehari (just had a look at Mehari's on th net,
                          > and they're apparently rated highly). Man, you Must be a
                          > hardy sort, to be fooling about with that thing. Looks a bit
                          > of a compromise to me, but i suppose i'm wrong about
                          > that.
                          > Anyway, speedy recovery to you. Vinci.
                          >

                          > Posted by: "meharidude" kim@... meharidude
                          > Mon May 3, 2010 2:17 pm (PDT)
                          >

                          > Oh showmobile.. I somehow imagined you thought Denmark would be like say Finland, Northpole or Greenland;-D
                          >
                          > I try to keep my bike clean, i have even polished parts of it, not to a mirror chrome shine but to a nice not too bright finish.
                          > I try to keep it neat, not a showmobile, but neat and presentable.
                          > People who know me, would also know that if i buy a self propelled apparatus, i use it..
                          > For instance, in 1993 i bought a 1972ish Citroen Mehari, that i got on the road on Sept 9th that year..By April the next spring it had covered 35.000kms since the purchase. We have biannual tech inspections of all cars here, and tester said "Mister, have you changed the speedometer? It reads 90.000kms more than it did 2 years ago..." "Oh really? I thought we covered more than that..."
                          > That little buggar ate 270kms 5 times a week, and further 150 each weekend.. By 1997 we had kept it running for nearly 200.000kms.
                          > A slight rebuild in 2000 kept it running untill last year, when the odometre read another 100.000 kms. And that in spite of my tiny family of two had another car as well. Oh well the Mehari saw England (1994) and Scotland (2005) one some of it's detours..
                          > If the weather is good, i take the bike, if it's bad or i'll need bigger cargo space, i go for the Mehari..
                          >
                          > But i'm grounded..Sadly half of my face has been paralysed since Friday morning, and saturday was spent on 2 hospitals, and i just returned from what was supposed to be a 1 o'clock hearing test, but ended up with 2 lumbal punctures and several blood tests, and i was released 6 hours later..With another appointment tomorrow at 1 o'clock for further testing..With clear instructions on not to remove the hospital's ID wristband..
                          >
                          > AAAAAhghhhh i don't have time for this, and drinking and eating is a bitch as half of the input ends up on the shirt or on the carpet..I can't even whistle the dog anymore, it ends as a poor parody of blowing a raspberry..
                          > Getting old and drooling...

                        • Vinci Raposo
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 5 12:18 PM
                            Hey Kim, how re you.
                            Couldn t check youtube for meharidude , as i d trouble accessing youtube. Site just wouldn t load; neither did yahoo for that matter, but th mobile version does work. And i m sending this from my MotoROKR (now why d i buy That phone) E8. Will check when i can for your music on youtube and let you know.
                            I suggested Enya, because your nerves are shot. They re in bad shape, what with your recent struggles with th Bullet, and your constant riding : ). So if you listen to rock, you might only encourage th nervies to press th little red buttons, and you don t want that, do you. Therefore Enya, th best. Music that touches th soul. Vinci.
                          • meharidude
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 6 7:17 AM
                              I'm fine, apart from half of my face drooping and an irritated eye from the lack of eyelid control:-D
                              Went to the hospital yesterday, had a talk with a few doctors, and left them with (yet) a bloodsample (i am thinking they might have a vampyre hidden somewhere..They drew spinal samples monday, they got lost tuesday(!), but presto, they found them again wednesday morning, but then the bloodsamples got lost, hence the new samples drawn yesterday...talk about control, i bet i'm told monday that i'm pregnant and need to quit heroine..:D)

                              However they have found that is the fascial nerve that is the culpritt and not the brain (brain tumor, brain hemorrhage or blood clot). In other words, the computer is fine, it's the wiring that got bad..
                              I'll get some results monday, i hope..

                              --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Vinci Raposo <vinxr@...> wrote:

                              > Hey Kim, how re you.
                              > Couldn t check youtube for meharidude , as i d trouble accessing youtube. Site just wouldn t load; neither did yahoo for that matter, but th mobile version does work. And i m sending this from my MotoROKR (now why d i buy That phone) E8. Will check when i can for your music on youtube and let you know.
                              > I suggested Enya, because your nerves are shot. They re in bad shape, what with your recent struggles with th Bullet, and your constant riding : ). So if you listen to rock, you might only encourage th nervies to press th little red buttons, and you don t want that, do you. Therefore Enya, th best. Music that touches th soul. Vinci.

                            • Damon Fever
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 6 7:28 AM
                                meharidude wrote:
                                > In other words, the computer is fine, it's the wiring that got
                                > bad..

                                That is good news, glad to hear it

                                Cheers
                                Rick F
                              • meharidude
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 6 9:31 AM
                                  Back on topic..yeay i took "him" for a spin today, and yes today i wore a fullface..Just in case that cold has something to do with my drooping.. Started up fine, ran well but "lumpy" when warming up, no valve noise..I suspect tight valves..But first things first, me.

                                  --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Damon Fever <twotyred@...> wrote:

                                  > meharidude wrote:
                                  > > In other words, the computer is fine, it's the wiring that got
                                  > > bad..
                                  >
                                  > That is good news, glad to hear it
                                  >
                                  > Cheers
                                  > Rick F

                                • Vinci
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 7 11:17 AM
                                    Nice to see you've survived th Droopy attack, Kim.
                                    Saw your bike videos (you seem to be struggling to
                                    start it in one of them! It sounds great though,
                                    probably better than mine...? No, that's going too far.
                                    Also, there's sunshine in Denmark?! Wow. And i thought
                                    it was some place like Pluto! Well, one keeps learning,
                                    huh :), and some others too.
                                    Here they are (for those who missed them):

                                    Best ad i've seen.
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jwnLtysZIM&NR=1

                                    and, great 500 slides /video.
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ypXEqIsf0&feature=related

                                    Vinci.

                                    --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "meharidude" <kim@...> wrote:

                                    > Back on topic..yeay i took "him" for a spin today, and yes today i wore a fullface..Just in case that cold has something to do with my drooping.. Started up fine, ran well but "lumpy" when warming up, no valve noise..I suspect tight valves..But first things first, me.
                                    >
                                    > --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Damon Fever <twotyred@> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > meharidude wrote:
                                    > > > In other words, the computer is fine, it's the wiring that got
                                    > > > bad..
                                    > >
                                    > > That is good news, glad to hear it
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers
                                    > > Rick F

                                  • meharidude
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 7 2:30 PM
                                      I'm surviving thanks..

                                      Yes, in one of the vids i struggle with some kickback, but found the fault after the vid was done, the carby was loose in the grommet, 2 turns with a screwdriver and it fires on the first..

                                      Yes we have sun, but that day was bittercold..

                                      The add with the muddy Bullet and rain...Oh well, i left mine out in a shower once, it took me hours to get the rust off:-D

                                      kim