Re: [Enfield] The Continueing Saga Of Strangness

  • tooseevee
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hey Rick & Al,

      Ha! I did nothing to this area of the system to "fix" it (the wiring is
      still all the same except for the Lights Always On jumpers), but thanks for
      the compliment. I'm certainly no genius with elecktrickery.

      But I did find the answer finally after I wrote that last email to Al at 10
      o'clock last night. Guess what? I looked at the schematic! Duh!

      ALL the black ground wires are tied into a black wire that comes right back
      and Tees right into the main heavy negative battery ground cable very close
      to the battery terminal. This is why it's wrapped like a harness (I assume).

      The main neg cable does NOT have to be bolted to the frame for the lights to
      work. It DOES for the starter to work & for the battery to get charged.

      It's all good & exactly like the schematic shows.

      George
      Wakefield RI
      USA
      PS: The government does some IDIOTIC things when it comes to flood control &
      trying to keep the ocean where the ocean wants to be. Mostly to the
      detriment of the average taxpayer (what's new?) We're the easiest to f*ck,
      right?

      Subject: Re: [Enfield] The Continueing Saga Of Strangness

      > First your lights would not light at all. Now they light without the
      > battery connected. I'm tellin' ya I want you to fix my next electrical
      > problem coz whatever you did fixed it good!
      > Cheers
      > Rick F
    • Pete Snidal
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2010
        >The Negative Battery Cable is unhooked from the frame & the lights LIGHT.

        That's OK! The wiring diagram shows black chassis ground wires going
        all over the place,
        interconnecting just about everything to everything else. Meaning
        most loads don't actually depend on a chassis path for the negative
        lead; there's a redundant one in the loom.

        If you were to disconnect the loom from the bat neg, and they lit,
        now THAT'd be cause for April 1 alarm!