Re: Electric Enfield

  • gb0818
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
      Nonsense. I am looking forward to all the details, Lawrence!!

      I also am not sure why this would create such a flame war... I guess
      EV = energy policy = oil vs solar = conservate vs liberal... or some
      such. Brings the cranks out because there's no crankshaft?? Yet my
      diesel seems to generate few complaints even though the rationale -
      reduction of dependence on foreign oil, less pollution, energy
      efficiency - is essentially the same. And I've heard literally
      hundreds of RE users speak proudly of how riding the fuel-efficient
      70mpg RE is one of their ways of doing the same thing...

      Personally, I just think it's an interesting development, and a
      logical one for island transportation and well suited to a rickshaw.

      So keep us informed.

      You asked me earlier about the issue of hooking up the motor to a wet
      chaincase. Yes, it's an issue, you're going to have to find a way to
      add a seal. (I find overfilling my chaincase causes leaks through my
      chaincase-to-engine adapter plate for the same reason; there is no
      lube seal, just some gasket material.) I would think it shouldn't be
      too hard to add a spacer plate bolted to the inner side of the
      chaincase which has no purpose except to hold a standard seal...

      But garbone may be right, why worry with a chaincase? The electric
      motor, surely, is an "automatic gearbox" in that the speed of the
      engine is directly controlled by the amount of power you're feeding
      it, and the "band" is wide enough to take you from zero to top speed,
      right?

      Bottom line, Lawrence; there were really only two people venting on
      this issue, for whatever personal reasons. Every other poster - and
      there were lots of them - said they were interested in the idea of an
      EV bullet and wanted to see more.

      So don't give in to the negatives!

      Geoff

      --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <abjlaw1@...> wrote:

      > --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "thegarbone" <thegarbone@>
      wrote:

      > > Well, if you did go EV you could hook your chain directly to the
      motor
      > > and do away with the gearbox/primary setup. Saving weight and you
      > > could use the space freed up from not having to have a fuel tank
      or
      > > engine to make a battery housing and storage bin (cut the stock
      tank
      > > like the new Aprilla). You would not have spectacular range, I
      > > imagine 50 miles a charge max, but it would be a good grocery
      getter
      > > and short commute bike, also you would be really stealthy.
      > >

      > > --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "glssgrg" <redhawk34@>
      wrote:

      > My thoughts exactly! My rickshaw is a particularly good platform,
      > very light weight, lots of storage areas and a nice logical layout
      of
      > batteries and drive line.
      >
      > Problem is nobody really wants to hear about it, so, accepting
      this, I
      > have no plans to make further progress reports or comments.
      >
      > Odd though, the over reaction. I would have thought that
      alternative
      > energy is almost a universal ideal since it may have the potential
      > free us from Arab and Venezuelan oil. Not so, it seems, it seems to
      > go against ingrained nature to want to pull energy out of the sky
      > instead of pumping it from the ground.
      >
      > And, I would have thought that anything having to do with R E, even
      as
      > a base unit, would receive a degree of support, if not enthusiasm.
      >
      > I will however desist. Have fun discussing your sprag clutches,
      > broken pawls and vibrating lower ends.
      >
      > Lawrence of Tonga

    • thegarbone
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009