FANCY A ENFIELD

  • Nibir Kaushik
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi!

      I am a new user from New Delhi, India and am very keen and planning to buy a
      Royal Enfield. I have never been on an Enfield and never rode one. But I
      have always dreamt of owning one but in a dilemma about which one to get.

      I fancy a Machismo 350 E/S Disc but some of the users say that a Standard
      350 CC is better. I am really confused.

      My travel pattern is very short. My office is hardly 10 min away from home.
      Other than that I hardly ride distance; that's because I never had a good
      bike. But when I get an Enfield, really thinking of cruising around with my
      beautiful girlfriend.

      Pleas suggest me which one to get 1) Machismo 350 or 2) Std 350

      I ll really be in debt for your suggestions.

      Thanks

      Nibir Kaushik

      New Delhi

      9811828642

    • ace.cafe
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        Hi Nibir,
        Neither the Bullet 350 nor the Machismo 350 are imported into the
        United States. So, not many of us have any experience with them, but
        some of our "non-US" members might be familiar.

        From a quick look at the pictures of the bikes, it appears that the
        Machismo is the AVL Lean Burn engine, and the Bullet 350 still has
        tha Classic engine. I suppose you are looking for comments regarding
        the differences in these engines.

        The AVL engine is upgraded in many ways, compared to the Classic
        engine. It should be a more reliable engine, with better oiling,
        roller bearings, and electronic ignition as standard features. It
        seems to be a nice engine, but it still has some quirks(especially
        regarding the electric starter system).

        The Classic engine is the one we all know well, and it's a lovely
        lump, even with its warts. However, it has its limits, which are
        lower than the AVL engine. It "makes mechanics out of ordinary men",
        and many enthusiasts really like this engine because they can get
        their hands on it themselves, for a very personal relationship with
        the engine and bike.

        All told, I'd say that if you are keen on using the bike for daily
        transport, and are not a mechanic or do not really want to become
        one, then probably your best bet would be the AVL engine in the
        Machismo. I've heard a few knowledgeable folks here say that the AVL
        engine is a nice unit that is upgraded in the right places. It will
        allow you to ride at highway speeds without concern, and probably be
        a better commuter bike. The Classic might be better as a hobby bike
        for weekend riding, which is what many here do, although it could be
        a commuter if you don't often go on a highway for much distance.

        But, if you want to be a "Bulleteer", like many people for over 50
        years before you, then you have to get the Classic engine and learn
        to work on it and love it. The 350 is said to seem smoother than the
        500 and is a great classic machine.

        Either way, you'll have a fine motorcycle, and you'll enjoy your
        riding. The choice depends on your personal preferences.

        Ace

        --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Nibir Kaushik" <nibir@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi!
        >

        > I am a new user from New Delhi, India and am very keen and planning
        to buy a
        > Royal Enfield. I have never been on an Enfield and never rode one.
        But I
        > have always dreamt of owning one but in a dilemma about which one
        to get.

        > I fancy a Machismo 350 E/S Disc but some of the users say that a
        Standard
        > 350 CC is better. I am really confused.
        >

        > My travel pattern is very short. My office is hardly 10 min away
        from home.
        > Other than that I hardly ride distance; that's because I never had
        a good
        > bike. But when I get an Enfield, really thinking of cruising around
        with my
        > beautiful girlfriend.
        >

        > Pleas suggest me which one to get 1) Machismo 350 or 2)
        Std 350

        > I ll really be in debt for your suggestions.
        >

        > Thanks
        >

        > Nibir Kaushik
        >
        > New Delhi
        >
        > 9811828642

      • Pete Snidal
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
          >My travel pattern is very short. My office is hardly 10 min away from home.
          >Other than that I hardly ride distance; that's because I never had a good
          >bike. But when I get an Enfield, really thinking of cruising around with my
          >beautiful girlfriend.

          10 min. rides are 'way too short to do any machine anything but harm. It will
          never get warmed up. I'd strongly suggest you continue walking to work, but
          that's no reason not to buy a bike for the weekends, or even for trips to your
          favourite places across town or whatever after work. As for which one, that's
          a personal choice. Mine would be a 350 Std., but the Macho has its good
          points, too.

          Do they have riding courses in India? I'd be really careful to be sure I had
          safe riding figured out before risking aforesaid bgf as well as
          myself. Especially
          in Delhi traffic as I understand it.

          You'll find a Bullet changes your life! They make a wonderful pet! Be sure to
          get a copy of my CD manual for advice on all aspects of Bulleteering.

          www.enfield.20m.com
        • abjlaw1
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
            On your India site there are a lot of enthusiastic owners of both
            types of bike. Since you are in New Delhi, you may wish to talk with
            Lalli Singh there, who is well known and reputable. He can be found
            by typing his name into Google. He has bikes available for touring
            India and so knows them in and out.

            A friend there owns both a Machismo and a iron engined Electra, and
            seems to prefer the Electra for its sound and ride. In India you have
            it a little easier than we of the U.S. in that there are a lot of very
            fine mechanics and a plethora of spare parts, so, whatever you choose
            should be sustainable.

            Good luck on your choice. What most there seem to say is "it doesn't
            really matter, they are all great fun'.

            Jim

            --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Nibir Kaushik" <nibir@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >

            > I am a new user from New Delhi, India and am very keen and planning
            to buy a
            > Royal Enfield. I have never been on an Enfield and never rode one. But I
            > have always dreamt of owning one but in a dilemma about which one to
            get.

            > I fancy a Machismo 350 E/S Disc but some of the users say that a
            Standard
            > 350 CC is better. I am really confused.
            >

            > My travel pattern is very short. My office is hardly 10 min away
            from home.
            > Other than that I hardly ride distance; that's because I never had a
            good
            > bike. But when I get an Enfield, really thinking of cruising around
            with my
            > beautiful girlfriend.
            >

            > Pleas suggest me which one to get 1) Machismo 350 or 2) Std
            350

            > I ll really be in debt for your suggestions.
            >

            > Thanks
            >

            > Nibir Kaushik
            >
            > New Delhi
            >
            > 9811828642

          • chetanmalvankar
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
              Nibir,

              You need to decide if you fancy the ES/DiscB or the Classic Engine.
              Your beautiful girlfriend might like the Bullet 350 however, if you
              were married to her and IF AT ALL it was to be an RE in the garage,
              the couple would agree on the AVL !!!

              If you got friends riding Thunderbird/Machismo and Bullet, ask them
              about thier bikes Vs the other model. You're not looking for 10
              minute rides to work, I would say go for the Bullet 350 (500 could be
              even better but no longer available at dealers). Don't blame me if
              you find the grass greener on the other side.

              Machismo is Thunderbird AVL engine 350/500 on the Bullet
              Frame/Styling. Electra is the CI Engine, TCI iginition also available
              with 5S GB, ES, DB + Colours. (Indian Models)

              Chetan Malvankar

              wrote:

              > Hi!
              >

              > I am a new user from New Delhi, India and am very keen and planning
              to buy a
              > Royal Enfield. I have never been on an Enfield and never rode one.
              But I
              > have always dreamt of owning one but in a dilemma about which one
              to get.

              > I fancy a Machismo 350 E/S Disc but some of the users say that a
              Standard
              > 350 CC is better. I am really confused.
              >

              > My travel pattern is very short. My office is hardly 10 min away
              from home.
              > Other than that I hardly ride distance; that's because I never had
              a good
              > bike. But when I get an Enfield, really thinking of cruising around
              with my
              > beautiful girlfriend.
              >

              > Pleas suggest me which one to get 1) Machismo 350 or 2)
              Std 350

              > I ll really be in debt for your suggestions.
              >

              > Thanks
              >

              > Nibir Kaushik
              >
              > New Delhi
              >
              > 9811828642

            • Pranav Peshwe
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
                Hi Nibir,

                On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Nibir Kaushik <nibir@...> wrote:

                > Hi!
                >
                > I am a new user from New Delhi, India and am very keen and planning to buy
                > Royal Enfield. I have never been on an Enfield and never rode one. But I
                > have always dreamt of owning one but in a dilemma about which one to get.
                >
                > I fancy a Machismo 350 E/S Disc but some of the users say that a Standard
                > 350 CC is better. I am really confused.

                All the opinions are subjective, ultimately, you'll have to decide for
                yourself :) A good way to start is to go a showroom. A much much better way
                is to try a friend's bike. If you are a 'Bullet' fan rather than an RE fan,
                then Standard 350 is the one for you. But, the con with a traditional Bullet
                is that, when you need them to drive, most of your friends/brethren/parents
                will not be able to drive it due to the right side gear shift :(
                Also, you might already know it - RE bikes are *not* trouble free bikes.
                They demand attention much more than a Pulsar or a Unicorn will. Ofcourse,
                that is what makes them different and, we like them B)

                > My travel pattern is very short. My office is hardly 10 min away from
                > home.
                > Other than that I hardly ride distance; that's because I never had a good
                > bike. But when I get an Enfield, really thinking of cruising around with
                > my
                > beautiful girlfriend.

                > Pleas suggest me which one to get 1) Machismo 350 or 2) Std 350

                The Electra 5s is also a good option - 5 speed, left side gear shift with a
                Cast Iron engine like that of the Std 350
                .
                If possible, avoid going for a electric start model. RE has not been able to
                perfect their ES at all. You can browse the archives of this group for the
                details...
                In addition to thinking about which model to go for, have you
                decided on whether to buy a brand new bullet or a second hand one ? You can
                get used bullets in good condition for around half(or even less) the price
                you would get a new one. IMHO, the only downside of buying a used Bullet is
                that, it is not new :P
                If given the money to buy a new Bull right now, what i would do
                is - buy a new 150cc bike for daily use in the city, and in the remaining
                amount (~40k), would buy a good old black traditional Bull (~30-35K) ! Get
                it done and repaint it *chakachak*(~5K), and ride it regularly on weekends
                and cruises :)

                My 2 cents...

                Best regards,
                Pranav

              • jeb_fowler@mail.utexas.edu
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
                  I am one of the few Americans with a 350 classic bullet. I have used it brutally
                  as my primary city vehicle for two years now. Plenty of stop and start driving,
                  short trips, etc. 14000 miles worth. I can't recommend it enough. I haven't
                  ridden an AVL; I've only heard one go by my house frequently and it's just not
                  the same sound. The 350 is a very tough, reliable bike while still being an
                  authentic, iron single. The only problems I've had have been due to
                  misdiagnosing a bad battery, poor carb tuning etc. And these are problems you
                  would have with any of the bikes (you must get Hitchcock's carb kit if you go
                  with AVL. It is reported to grossly underperform as it is set up from the
                  factory). My two cents: I wouldn't have anything else.

                  -Jeb Fowler
                  Austin, TX