Re: Determining production year

  • williamjrice2000
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Leif Brynildsen" <lbry@...> wrote:
      >The bike has two sets of numbers, both on engine and steering head.
      >They are G2/54194 and E1/27194.

      Leif,
      As far as I am aware the G2 series of numbers relate to the 350cc Royal
      Enfields that were built in England. If they were exported to India,
      during that short period when Enfield India assembled but not
      manufactured, bikes then Enfield India stamped the letters EI for,
      Enfield India, followed by a number that was similar to the G2 number.
      So in that short period there were two sets of inentification numbers
      on the frames and engines. All that changed when full scale
      manufacturing started in India. From then onwards neither frames or
      engines made in India would have G2 stamped on them. So the number on
      your frame may be correct for a bike frame made about 1956 but a 500cc
      engine could not possibly have a G2 number. I think your bike is what
      we would call a "BITSA" ie made from bits and pieces.
      Regards,
      William
    • steve
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Leif.
        In my dating book 1963 started with G2 53306 and ended wiyh G2
        57049 , hope this helps

        Steve in OZ.
      • bruce in
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2007
          hi, everyone there.
          according to my knowledge which is written in books itself that royal
          enfield co in england close down in the year of 1968 even they stop
          production in 1962 but they have so much in stock that they have assembeled
          till 1968 when they stopped and taken over by indian co called madras
          motors.
          so eventually the the bikes with g2 series are made in england.
          in india the bikes which is registered in 1969 the chasis no. are changed to
          B/XXXXXX/9HX.
          so the bikes which have g2 no. are english made and they have started with
          g2/xxxxx with 5 digit no.s followed by g2.
          so about 500cc the bikes made by british they came in two types frames one
          in normal frame like royal enfield and secondly in continental frame and
          both bikes are gone to India.these bikes are made in england till 1962. but
          assembled till 1968.
          in 1962 the series have 5 digit no.s started from g2/40000 onward and i
          think 1965 itself g2/50000 onwards.
          i have even proof of it which are books published in 1970 by British
          authors.
          so i think your bike is 1965 model.
          regards
          bruce in