Re: How many trouble free miles ?

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi ! Well, I usually just leark in the shadows here, and keep to
      myself. I bought a used 2001 500 in March of 2002, and the bike was a
      total nose bleed from day one.. The machine had not been set up
      properly by the dealer. She had not been broken in or maintained
      properly by the pryor owner, and I ended up with lotsa problems.
      OK, besides my 01. I've had the pleasure of maintaing and riding 2
      other 05 65's on a regular basis, and one of them just runs better and
      is more dependable.
      It may sound crazy. But these are not just machines ! They are unique
      indivugals with soles, and they respond to love and attention.
      You treat them with respect through riding and maintaing them
      properly, and the relationship with your Bullet will thrive.
      I've found most problems are minor when they do happen, and fixed
      easily. There are things I feel can be done to increase dependably.
      Replace stock cables with US or UK made, and keep them adjusted and
      lubricated. I have gone to locking fasteners where all possible, and
      use thread locking compounds. Stay on top of adjusting valves, and
      importantly keep the primary chain adjusted or you will be replacing
      your cluch basket assembly.
      Changing the oil often is cheap insurance. The Bullet only holds 1.5
      qts. of oil, and I personally believe such a small quantity breaks
      down the viscostity of the oil quickly.
      Basic common sence, some mechaincal understanding, love, respect, and
      some dedication will make a Bullet a joy to be around.

      Take CARE, be BAD ;-) and ride SAFE......... D.B.