Re: help with my new electric tach

  • paiids
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      A one cylinder engine triggers the ignition coil (-) 1 time per 2
      revolutions of the crank. If you have a 2 cylinder tach you would
      read 1/2 tach. If you are hooking to the th alternator and getting
      double the tach output I would expect a 4 cylinder tach would give you
      the correct reading.

      --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "c1skout" <C1skouT@...> wrote:

      > Trying to hook up my new tach... if I use the coil negative for a
      > signal wire the tach reads 1/2 engine speed. I tried the alternator
      > violet wire and that works out to twice engine speed. Is there a happy
      > medium somewhere? Some kind of electric whiz-bang that will reduce or
      > bump-up the pulses? It doesn't look like I can easily get inside the
      > tach so I'm guessing there is no adjustment there.

    • Rick M.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
        What tach are did you buy? ---
        In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "c1skout" <C1skouT@...> wrote:

        > Trying to hook up my new tach... if I use the coil negative for a
        > signal wire the tach reads 1/2 engine speed. I tried the alternator
        > violet wire and that works out to twice engine speed. Is there a
        happy
        > medium somewhere? Some kind of electric whiz-bang that will reduce or
        > bump-up the pulses? It doesn't look like I can easily get inside the
        > tach so I'm guessing there is no adjustment there.

      • c1skout
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
          --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Rick M." <mccartymfg@...> wrote:

          > What tach are did you buy? ---

          I don't know honestly. It looks similar to one from drag specialty
          but I don't think it's one of theirs. I bought it cheaply on e-bay and
          figured I had a 50-50 chance on it being a single fire tach. I have a
          friend who can use it if I can't make it work so no real money lost
          either way.