Re: Stiff front forks - Electra 500

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      I weigh in at 125Kg in my birthday suit, and the forks on my new Euro
      Classic are well set up for my bulk, the fork oil from the factory is
      a 10/30. Most people would find it too hard...
      I would reckon that a change to a #5 or #10 weight fork oil would be
      a good start for you. Heavier or ligher oil as required.

      Tim
      N.Z.

      --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, Alan Bartlett
      <alan.bartlett@...> wrote:

      > Some help please. I have just started running in my new Electra
      500, nice
      > piece of kit. My problem with it is that the front suspension is
      far too
      > stiff and jars a lot, this affects the handling. The forks don't
      appear to
      > be binding, but before I start any surgery, has anyone had similar
      problems
      > and what did you do?
      > Alan, Canberra Oz

    • Alan Bartlett
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        Thanks Tim, usful to know what the factory puts in them, will start with the
        5 I think and work from there. Softer springs maybe an option later, but
        I'll wait untill it's run in.
        Alan, Canberra Oz

        I weigh in at 125Kg in my birthday suit, and the forks on my new Euro
        Classic are well set up for my bulk, the fork oil from the factory is
        a 10/30. Most people would find it too hard...
        I would reckon that a change to a #5 or #10 weight fork oil would be
        a good start for you. Heavier or lighter oil as required.

        <alan.bartlett@...> wrote:

        > Some help please. I have just started running in my new Electra
        500, nice
        > piece of kit. My problem with it is that the front suspension is
        far too
        > stiff and jars a lot, this affects the handling. The forks don't
        appear to
        > be binding, but before I start any surgery, has anyone had similar
        problems
        > and what did you do?
        > Alan, Canberra Oz

      • williamjrice2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          wrote:

          > Some help please. I have just started running in my new Electra 500,
          nice
          > piece of kit. My problem with it is that the front suspension is far
          too
          > stiff and jars a lot, this affects the handling. The forks don't
          appear to
          > be binding, but before I start any surgery, has anyone had similar
          problems
          > and what did you do?
          > Alan, Canberra Oz

          Alan,
          Perhaps you could post this request on the yahoo group Royal-Enfield-
          Club-Australia and see if local owners have come up with a solution.
          WJR
        • Alan Bartlett