RE: [Enfield] Happy with a Bullet?

  • Mick Flindall
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Jack,

      Go for it. Bought my 500 last year and never regretted it. Mine's kick
      start only and mostly starts first kick so no problem there. Wanted
      another Brit bike but didn't want something 30-40 years old. Feels,
      rides and sounds just like any British designed single, great fun on
      back roads too.

      Regards Mick

      http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mick.flindall/

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        > Hey Royal Enfield folks, is the Bullet a good riding machine? Is it
        > fun to ride? I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2001 R.E. Bullet,
        > kick start, with 150 miles on it... I used to ride a BSA 250
        > thumper so I think I know what I'm getting into.
        > Is it a good bike to enjoy exploring the countryside?

        Jack, I think you will like the Bullet a lot. My first bike was a BSA 250 so
        I am pretty familiar with them; I still have a pair of boots with a big gash
        in the back where the little bugger kicked my foot back into the passenger
        peg mount. Compared to the BSA, a Bullet is much less highly-tuned, and
        therefore friendlier and easier to get along with (and a lot easier to
        kickstart!). The Bullet has a lot more flywheel which also contributes to
        this easy feel. Acceleration will be more leisurely than the BSA, but it is
        adequate to keep up with traffic, and the Bullet feels torquey at low rpm. A
        comfortable cruising speed for a stock Bullet will be about 50 mph. If this
        performance envelope sounds OK, then I think you are going to love it.

        If your BSA had the excellent twin leading shoe brake, you will have to plan
        a little farther ahead when stopping the Bullet! Shifting is slower and more
        deliberate with the Bullet, as befits its more relaxed style. I'd recommend
        converting to right hand shift (much more direct) if the bike you're looking
        at doesn't have it, and I find the solo seat to be vastly more comfortable
        than the stock lump. Unlike the BSA, the Bullet has great parts support from
        Classic Motorworks and Pete Snidal offers an excellent workshop manual.

        Cheers
        Rick F
      • thumpers4all
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 17, 2005
          Jack,

          I bought a '99 500 (kick start) last year and love it. Once you
          learn the 'drill' (see Pete's manual or the owner's manual) it's a
          piece of cake. Thought I'd need bigger so bought a BMW R1200C but
          keep coming back to the Bullet for sheer fun of riding. I've go
          11,500 on mine now and she's still going strong. The previous owner
          did the maintenance per the schedule and said he'd had no problems
          either.

          Thump away, my friend!

          Rod Wagoner
          Tucson, AZ

          --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "Mick Flindall"
          <mick.flindall@u...> wrote:
          > Hi Jack,
          >
          > Go for it. Bought my 500 last year and never regretted it.
          Mine's kick
          > start only and mostly starts first kick so no problem there.
          Wanted
          > another Brit bike but didn't want something 30-40 years old.
          Feels,
          > rides and sounds just like any British designed single, great fun
          on
          > back roads too.
          >
          > Regards Mick
          >
          > http://web.ukonline.co.uk/mick.flindall/

          30/03/2005

          > --
          30/03/2005
        • jack_deben
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2005

            > > Hey Royal Enfield folks, is the Bullet a good riding machine? Is
            > it
            > > fun to ride? I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2001 R.E.
            > Bullet,
            > > kick start, with 150 miles on it...

            I'm Thumping! I'm Thumping! And Tickity-ticking down the roads. This
            thing is a time machine.

            Many thanks to Rod, Mick, and Damon for their positive replies to my
            inquiry about RE owners being happy with their Bullets.

            I scrounged up the moola and purchased this Silver Bullet 500. Jim
            the local British bike mechanic who checked out and prepped the bike
            warned me, "If you take this thing on the interstate highway and
            drive it seventy mph, you'll blow it up." OK, Ive been warned and I
            can live with that. ( Are you reading this, Rick?)

            Riding this bike is a HOOT and a challenge. I'm a do-it-yourself
            kinda guy. In my youth, back in the good old points-and-condenser
            days, I was a MG, Triumph, and VW auto mechanic. Now my moustache is
            grey and I attempt to teach hardheaded high schoolers the workings of
            the modern automobile. After work, I'm looking for curvy country
            roads.

            Thumping, Jack deBen
          • wayne_bridgeman
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2005
              is that jim from folsom, la? i know he's been sitting on that silver
              bullet for a while.

              --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "jack_deben" <jack_deben@y...>
              wrote:

              > > > Hey Royal Enfield folks, is the Bullet a good riding machine?
              Is
              > > it
              > > > fun to ride? I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2001 R.E.
              > > Bullet,
              > > > kick start, with 150 miles on it...
              >
              > I'm Thumping! I'm Thumping! And Tickity-ticking down the roads.
              This
              > thing is a time machine.
              >
              > Many thanks to Rod, Mick, and Damon for their positive replies to
              my
              > inquiry about RE owners being happy with their Bullets.
              >
              > I scrounged up the moola and purchased this Silver Bullet 500. Jim
              > the local British bike mechanic who checked out and prepped the
              bike
              > warned me, "If you take this thing on the interstate highway and
              > drive it seventy mph, you'll blow it up." OK, Ive been warned and I
              > can live with that. ( Are you reading this, Rick?)
              >
              > Riding this bike is a HOOT and a challenge. I'm a do-it-yourself
              > kinda guy. In my youth, back in the good old points-and-condenser
              > days, I was a MG, Triumph, and VW auto mechanic. Now my moustache
              is
              > grey and I attempt to teach hardheaded high schoolers the workings
              of
              > the modern automobile. After work, I'm looking for curvy country
              > roads.
              >
              > Thumping, Jack deBen
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 8 , May 6, 2005
                CONGRATS thumping Jack. Don't ferget that you are still running it
                in... Don't "over fiddle" with it till you have 1500 to 2000 miles
                on it. It will change a lot; quickly; and you will have a
                little "fidl'n" to do just to keep it going.
                Have some fun..... Mike

                > > > Hey Royal Enfield folks, is the Bullet a good riding machine?
                Is
                > > it
                > > > fun to ride? I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2001 R.E.
                > > Bullet,
                > > > kick start, with 150 miles on it...
                >
                > I'm Thumping! I'm Thumping! And Tickity-ticking down the roads.
                This
                > thing is a time machine.
                >
                > Many thanks to Rod, Mick, and Damon for their positive replies to
                my
                > inquiry about RE owners being happy with their Bullets.
                >
                > I scrounged up the moola and purchased this Silver Bullet 500. Jim
                > the local British bike mechanic who checked out and prepped the
                bike
                > warned me, "If you take this thing on the interstate highway and
                > drive it seventy mph, you'll blow it up." OK, Ive been warned and
                > can live with that. ( Are you reading this, Rick?)
                >
                > Riding this bike is a HOOT and a challenge. I'm a do-it-yourself
                > kinda guy. In my youth, back in the good old points-and-condenser
                > days, I was a MG, Triumph, and VW auto mechanic. Now my moustache
                is
                > grey and I attempt to teach hardheaded high schoolers the workings
                of
                > the modern automobile. After work, I'm looking for curvy country
                > roads.
                >
                > Thumping, Jack deBen
              • jack_deben
                Message 7 of 8 , May 6, 2005
                  Yep, Wayne, that's Jim of British Bikes Ltd, located in the woods of
                  Folsom, Louisiana. He's the Royal Enfield dealer for our state. When I
                  inquired about RE Bullets he said that he had a 2001 with only 150
                  miles on the odometer. The original owner had problems with
                  kickstarting it. I could not pass it up.

                  --- In royalenfield@yahoogroups.com, "wayne_bridgeman"