[Enfield] Re: Gearbox Lube

  • highmoor@interlog.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 29, 2000
      Hi Jeff,

      I had Terry Smith replace the grease/oil factory mixture in my
      transmission with his recommendation of 85/140 weight ( I think ?)
      gear oil mixed with Moly Slip G, at the first service my bike had
      last spring.

      I have since put on 12,000 E-km without any problems. It seemed
      to make the biggest difference in improving the shifting when the
      bike was warming up, requiring much less effort than before.
      Overall the shifting seemed easier.

      I had the transmission completely apart this winter in order to
      switch the shifting to the right side. There was no noticeable wear.
      Terry did notice that both mainshaft bearings needed to be
      replaced. I don't believe this was due to the change in lubricants.

      Terry took the opportunity to replace these bearings with their
      sealed equivalents, removing the inner seals to allow for lubrication
      but leaving the outer seals in place to better seal the transmission
      and solve a persistent leak which kept my chain and rear wheel
      well oiled the entire season !

      I will be using the same mixture again this season. FYI, I also
      used straight 50 wt. engine oil, and ATF in the primary. I am going
      to try the lighter weight fork oil too.

      Cheers,
      Brett (Foggy Bullet)
    • Pete Snidal
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
        I have but one thing to say: www.dreamwater.com/proma/mbl8what.htm
      • RylEnfield@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
          In real life service there are two issues with the gearbox lube. The factory
          uses 00 grease. It works fine in real life regardless of the endless debate
          that can be started by that comment. 80/90 or some other variant also works
          very well. 80/90 has the added benefit of helping the shifting process (which
          can use all of the help it can get)and being fluid under colder conditions.
          However most US riders don't ride in the cold enough to make this a real
          issue. I'm sure I will spur debate about who is a real man and rides in the
          cold, but the fact is that MOST US riders don't. The real issue is one of
          leaking. With 80/90 most transmissions will leak. The question is how much
          and where. With a little observation and some gasket sealer ( Yamabond or
          something that will fill gaps) all but one of the leaks can be fixed. Not all
          bikes leak, but many do, especially older ones. There is one area that a good
          fix has not been found for, that is the output shaft from the transmission,
          which is a shaft within a shaft and is unsealed. The problem is vexing. One
          of our dealers simply uses an o-ring the inner shaft and reports that it
          works well.
          We are still recommending that the factory grease or a suitable replacement
          be used, not for any scientific reason but because for most people it serves
          them better by not leaking. It is a poor compromise, but it works. However if
          you are willing to put the time in to seal up the gearbox we know you will be
          happy with the improved shifting 80/90 can bring
        • Jan Lang
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
            There is only one small drawback with light- or ATF oil in the trans and
            that is that it also splashes out of the small vent hole in the filling
            cap!! A little too messy over the trans so I use 10-30SAE witch seems to
            stay in the trans. BUT i also slip my gear pretty much as I drive the
            Indian way, on a high gear and slipping the clutch instead of downshifting
            unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Sometimes 30km/h in 4 th with a 19
            teeth rearsprocket...(Well it's the way we do it down here...)

            I use the grease/oilmix (20/40) in the gearbox in india much because
            nothing else is available and it works fine but just over the tarmack on a
            sunny 33°C day it's more than 80°C, on top of that the engine heat, so its
            pretty fluid I guess. It "sweats" a little around the edges but not
            seriously so. In Europe i use grease and engine oil singlegrade 50. Works
            fine, nice and smoth boxes all over, but I use the neutralfinder A LOT!

            In the engine I use singlegrade 50SAE in Europe and the thickest oil I can
            get here in India, normally 20/40SAE plus STP I brought with me. Works
            great, when the oil gets to where it's supposed to go!!! (see my other mail)

            I also use a multiprong sparkplug NGK witch is the ONLY one that will last
            here!!! Same plugs for two years! normally they are "gone" in a month
            because of bad petrol, adultered with kerosena or diesel to as low as 70
            octanes sometimes, usually the BEST petrol is 87 octanes, but strangly
            enough my "Indian" bikes run much smother and better on this shitty fuel
            than my Europeans ones, all have exactly the same setup maybe I get a
            little more punch out of the Swedish ones but that might also be the cooler
            temperatures playing a role...
            I use a pretty wide gap(-s) on the plug .60 mm or so. It seams to work best.

            Maybe it's because the fuel is more 50:s style too??? REAL petrol, not
            alcohol and a chemical mix to mimic lead?

            Jan

            _______________________________________
            JanÅke & Katarina Lang / Bullets MCC / Spinifex
            Mudda Waddo, Parra, Goa, Indien. Ph 0832-271081
            mailto:spinifex@...
          • Bill van Dijk
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
              >There is one area that a good
              >fix has not been found for, that is the output shaft from the transmission,
              >which is a shaft within a shaft and is unsealed.

              The output seal rides on the OD of a spacer which is wedged between the
              sprocket and the output bearing. I have sealed this area by slightly
              tapering the ID of the spacer where it contacts the output bearing, and
              installing an "O" ring there. If tapered properly, the "O" ring will fill
              the triangular space formed by the bearing, shaft and spacer. This will stop
              any leakage in that area.

              Cheers, BILL

            • IMIPENEM
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2000
                I ride in the cold quite a bit. I never put the bike up this winter. 28
                degrees, baby, 28 degrees. (and not at a slow speed either)

                Mark J.