Re: [Enfield] Lugging noise

  • snidey@look.ca
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
      >It sounds like more of a heavy mechanical knock, but it does come on
      >at low RPM's as I open the throttle, and goes away as the engine
      >picks up speed. Which is why I thought it may be ping. It does
      >happen in all gears, but is avoidable in the lower gears by
      >increasing RPM prior to changing gear, and allowing more rpm as I
      >accelerate from a stop. However, it is almost unavoidable in 4th
      >unless I'm above 55mph, and then only if I'm on level ground or a
      >decline.

      The only reason I wouldn't think this is detonation/ping is the heavy
      mechanical knock part - all the rest of the description is classic
      ping.

      >I'm going to pull a plug chop tomorrow and see what I find. I'd have
      >done this earlier, but in replacing the controls, I did not have a
      >kill switch until yesterday.
      >I'm still curious to see if I'm running too lean. It doesn't seem to
      >have the power I expected after the rebuild. It seems to have a much
      >smoother take off, but seems to have a hard time on inclines. The
      >timing is slightly retarded (5mm BTDC) and I haven't touched it yet.

      5mm BTDC is NOT "slightly retarded!" 0/ZERO mm is! Retard that puppy
      to no more than 1mm BTC and then ping-check it on the road. Keep
      retarding until the noise goes away - if it's ping, it will. Then
      retard it just a tad more. Then check it at home and see what you
      then have for timing. If you're really 5mm BTC with your
      auto-advance in the retard position, you are Highly Advanced, which
      in this context is Not a Good Thing.

      Pete Snidal, Grand Forks, BC Canada

      Free Online Maintenance Manuals: www.angelfire.com/biz/snwvlly/rants/
    • strikehold89
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
        Sorry I meant .5mm and by slightly retarded, I meant relative to the
        factory setting of .8mm.

        Thanks,
        Pat

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2003
          On 2003-11-01 royalenfield@yahoogroups.com said:
          >Sorry I meant .5mm and by slightly retarded, I meant relative to the
          >factory setting of .8mm.

          Too bad! Then it's likely not detonation. Big end knock is supposed
          to go away with load, be worse at higher rpm, lighter load. I'm
          thinking main bearing, but they're not reciprocal, so I wouldn't
          expect knock - more of a grinding noise.

          Whatever it is, I sure hope it goes away. keep us posted.

          Pete Snidal, Grand Forks, BC Canada
        • dean hoare
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            your big end bearing has gone check this by removing oil banjo bolts in cylinder head you will find traces of white metal this is whats left of your big end ill bet your bike is 500 model in which case this is very common sometimes due to oil pump spindle being eaten

            snidey@... wrote: >It sounds like more of a heavy mechanical knock, but it does come on
            >at low RPM's as I open the throttle, and goes away as the engine
            >picks up speed. Which is why I thought it may be ping. It does
            >happen in all gears, but is avoidable in the lower gears by
            >increasing RPM prior to changing gear, and allowing more rpm as I
            >accelerate from a stop. However, it is almost unavoidable in 4th
            >unless I'm above 55mph, and then only if I'm on level ground or a
            >decline.

            The only reason I wouldn't think this is detonation/ping is the heavy
            mechanical knock part - all the rest of the description is classic
            ping.

            >I'm going to pull a plug chop tomorrow and see what I find. I'd have
            >done this earlier, but in replacing the controls, I did not have a
            >kill switch until yesterday.
            >I'm still curious to see if I'm running too lean. It doesn't seem to
            >have the power I expected after the rebuild. It seems to have a much
            >smoother take off, but seems to have a hard time on inclines. The
            >timing is slightly retarded (5mm BTDC) and I haven't touched it yet.

            5mm BTDC is NOT "slightly retarded!" 0/ZERO mm is! Retard that puppy
            to no more than 1mm BTC and then ping-check it on the road. Keep
            retarding until the noise goes away - if it's ping, it will. Then
            retard it just a tad more. Then check it at home and see what you
            then have for timing. If you're really 5mm BTC with your
            auto-advance in the retard position, you are Highly Advanced, which
            in this context is Not a Good Thing.

            Pete Snidal, Grand Forks, BC Canada

            Free Online Maintenance Manuals: www.angelfire.com/biz/snwvlly/rants/

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Your personal settings are at:
            To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
            royalenfield-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • strikehold89
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
              > Too bad! Then it's likely not detonation. Big end knock is
              supposed
              > to go away with load, be worse at higher rpm, lighter load. I'm
              > thinking main bearing, but they're not reciprocal, so I wouldn't
              > expect knock - more of a grinding noise.
              >
              > Whatever it is, I sure hope it goes away. keep us posted.
              >
              > Pete Snidal, Grand Forks, BC Canada

              I did some plug checks yesterday, and found the bike to be very lean
              in the mid and full settings. I raised the needle, was still lean, so
              I put in a larger jet (went from 200 to 290) It seems to be running
              much better, pulling well on inclines, accellerating, etc. Much more
              like what I expected. The noise deminished considerably, and what is
              left, I'm inclined to think is valve train noise. With the HD valve
              springs, HP valves and rockers, I'm guessing that the setup may just
              be inherently noisier. The rods are adjusted cold, I may adjust the
              intake hot, or I may just leave it alone. I rode a long time
              yesterday, and got her good and hot, and the whole engine quieted
              down considerably. The problem is with the colder weather coming on,
              my 15 mile trek to work doesn't really give her enough time to get
              hot.
              Also I think my starter may be dying. I never use it anyway, but for
              some reason it did not seem to disengage yesterday, and I could hear
              it whirring with the engine. I shut it down and restarted, and it was
              still doing it, then stopped. Now it only seems to work
              intermittantly. No big deal though. Like I said, I never use it
              anyway. The only reason it's on there is cause there weren't any K/S
              only models available.

              Pat