Re: [Enfield] 80 w 140 oil?

  • stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      Check out the files area? there is a good article about oil....not sure if
      they liked Pensoil....I have a feelikng they didnt........The additives
      wernt up to much if i remember, I havnt tried it as I use grease,

      Stephen
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        Will probably work fine. Its gear oil. We're not talking about use at engine
        temperatures so the previous discussions about additive packages in engine oil don't quite
        apply.
        -dave

        > Check out the files area? there is a good article about oil....not sure if
        > they liked Pensoil....I have a feelikng they didnt........The additives
        > wernt up to much if i remember, I havnt tried it as I use grease,
        > Stephen

        > Have bought some cheap Penzoil 80W 140 gear oil.
        > Can anyone comment as to how this stuff would go in the Bullets
        > Gear box?
        > Darryl,Australia
      • Gerry Bristow
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          Darryl,Australia wrote:

          <<Have bought some cheap Penzoil 80W 140 gear oil.
          Can anyone comment as to how this stuff would go in the Bullets
          Gear box?>>

          Hello Darryl,

          Perfectly OK if you can keep it inside. Why not leave
          the grease in there to help retain the oil and use the
          Penzoil for topping up as officially recommended,
          (the procedure, not the oil).

          Regards
          Gerry Bristow. Chania, Crete, Greece
          gerrimo@...
        • Jethro_tull
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            At 04:33 PM 11/1/02 +0200, you wrote:

            >Darryl,Australia wrote:
            >
            ><<Have bought some cheap Penzoil 80W 140 gear oil.
            >Can anyone comment as to how this stuff would go in the Bullets
            >Gear box?>>
            >
            >Hello Darryl,
            >
            >Perfectly OK if you can keep it inside. Why not leave
            >the grease in there to help retain the oil and use the
            >Penzoil for topping up as officially recommended,
            >(the procedure, not the oil).
            >
            >Regards
            >Gerry Bristow. Chania, Crete, Greece
            > gerrimo@...
            >
            > good point, thankx 4 the comment.
            Darryl,Latitude 19 south.

            >Your personal settings are at:
            >To unsubscribe, send a blank email to
            >royalenfield-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
              -I have used 90w-140w for a year on my 2001 and have not had a drop of
              oil leak out of it.The new bike won't leak.That problem was fixed a
              few years ago,I'm not sure how far back.The factory mixture in your
              gear box is a bitch to get out.I have used automatic trans oil to
              rince it out.You pour some in, ride your bike till it gets warm drain
              overnite,refill with the same and repeat a couple times untill all the
              snot-grease is gone,then fill with 80w-140w.Good luck
              PS: check the achives on the subject.
            • Jethro_tull
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                At 01:37 PM 11/2/02 +0000, you wrote:
                >-I have used 90w-140w for a year on my 2001 and have not had a drop of
                >oil leak out of it.The new bike won't leak.That problem was fixed a
                >few years ago,I'm not sure how far back.The factory mixture in your
                >gear box is a bitch to get out.I have used automatic trans oil to
                >rince it out.You pour some in, ride your bike till it gets warm drain
                >overnite,refill with the same and repeat a couple times untill all the
                >snot-grease is gone,then fill with 80w-140w.Good luck
                >PS: check the achives on the subject.
                > Regrettably I've never been able to access the archives :-(
                Darrryl/Tull

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                  You are quite right!!. Sorry I was thinking of Engine oil!!! ...Gear oil is
                  of a differing construction!.....Though if its cheap ..!! I would use it!!

                  Stephen.