Re: cylinder head leak?

  • tottenman01
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In royalenfield@y..., "ratso4747" <ratso4747@y...> wrote:
      > I have a custom with a new 1999 500 engine. It has only 60 miles
      on
      > it and there is
      > an oil leak that appears to be coming from the cylinder head with
      oil
      > running onto
      > the exhaust pipe where it goes into the head. other than the leak
      > the bike runs
      > fine///any ideas?

      Are you sure it is oil? I had the same thing on mine, looked like
      baked-on oil around the head/and where the exhaust pipe came out.
      It came off with a stiff plastic brush, and has'nt returned. I think
      it was some kind of packing goo. Anyway, it stays pristine clean now.
    • dojroj
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In royalenfield@y..., "ratso4747" <ratso4747@y...> wrote:
        > I have a custom with a new 1999 500 engine. It has only 60 miles
        on
        > it and there is
        > an oil leak that appears to be coming from the cylinder head with
        oil
        > running onto
        > the exhaust pipe where it goes into the head. other than the leak
        > the bike runs
        > fine///any ideas?
        I would think the most likely source of your leak would be from the
        forward rocker cover.It might just need tightening down a touch.
        ......Roger