Re: [Enfield] TDC for valve/tappet/pushrod adjustment

  • james franklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2002
      Dale,

      All you are after is to have both valves closed so it
      relieves the tension on the push rod. Top dead center
      does this for you but it is not a critical number on
      that adjustment.

      Franklin

      --- dalevancleef <dalebonn@...> wrote:
      > Do I need a TDC tool to adjust the
      > valves/tappets/pushrods on my
      > Enfield Bullet? I've read the instructions from
      > several sources. All
      > refer to getting the engine to top dead center
      > before adjusting.
      > Also, do I move the engine to TDC on the exhaust
      > stroke to adjust the
      > exhaust valve?

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • Marcel Scherkamp
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
        Hi,
        yes thats the way - but the engine must be cold.

        Greetings
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
          I know I'm opening a bag of worms,butI have adjusted my tappets just
          like you mention,cold and spinning free to the thumb with nil
          clearance,and my bike sounds like a diesel engine.I have to adjust
          them tight so I can just spin them,or they will be making a racket.I
          did switch to the Samrat rockers and pushrods,but I don't think it
          shouls make any difference.Am I the only one with this problem?I make
          the adjustment when the engine is warm for it to be right,I tried to
          make the adjustment tight when the engine was cold and it still will
          rattle.How does your engine sounds?I can't undertand what would make
          a bike act different that way.By the way my new rockers and pushrods
          are broken-in.I would love to follow the manual instructions on the
          subject but it really makes me cringe to listen to the sound of my
          engine when I try.Something is not right.
          Va s'y chauffe Marcel!

          --- In royalenfield@y..., "Marcel Scherkamp" <marcel@s...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > yes thats the way - but the engine must be cold.
          >
          > Greetings

          Service.

        • james franklin
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
            I have ridden about 13 different Bullets and they all
            rarttle once they are seated in. Just a staus of the
            Beast I think.

            Franklin

            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
          • shawnsci
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
              I adjust mine warm too. Works great for quiet - but it seems much
              easier to over tighten valves - burn exhaust or lift intake on a cold
              engine. Set them warm and check that they're not too tight cold. Too
              tight means the exhaust pushrod can be just turned by thumb and the
              intake still seats. This has worked for nearly 4000 miles.

              --- In royalenfield@y..., "bulletkid2001" <bulletkid2001@y...> wrote:
              > I make
              > the adjustment when the engine is warm for it to be right,
            • JanÅke Lang
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2002
                Marcel!

                Have you considered that you might have cams that are not propperly shimmed
                against the timing cover, it's quite usual, a new fatter seal is fitted and
                you get a wider gap and the cams will slap going in and out in that small
                space. Ampified by the big surface of the timningcover it will sound as
                tappetnoice. You can also replace the usual shapst the cams are on to
                assymetrical ones from Samrat this will also lessen the sound, but correct
                shimms are always needed anyway.

                Aluminium pushrods will make the bike very very quiet as will the
                alu-blocks for the rockers Samrat makes.

                Noise can also be made by broken springs a worn valve cap or simply
                pistonslap (against the cylinder block) because of an oval bore.

                It's not JUST the tappets that are involved...

                First try the shimms! Cheap and probably 90% of the fix you need.

                Jan

                JanÅke & Katarina Lang / Bullets MCC / Spinifex
                Sales House, Mudda Waddo, Parra, Goa - 403510, India.
                Ph: 0832-409081.
                mailto:spinifex@...
              • bulletkid2001
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2002
                  I agree ,there's not much room for error doing them hot,it takes a
                  few
                  shots to get the right feel,I wonder if better stronger valve springs
                  would fix the problem.I mean without clearance there should'nt be any
                  rattling but it does.It seems this is where the weakness is.