Re: [Enfield] Re: head gasket

  • MD
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
      From: "JanÅke Lang" <spinifex@...>
      To: <royalenfield@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: 28 February 2002 19:52
      Subject: Re: [Enfield] Re: head gasket

      > The bunking in water I don't recommend, the heat will rise and soften the
      > copper well enough for this purpose.

      The copper will soften with heating but the slow cooling will cause it to
      harden. The rapid cooling by quenching in cold water will result in the
      copper remaining soft.

      Mike.
    • billacock
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
          AND water will also make the asbestos mushy and create a problem there,
          just take it off the heat and put it on a cold surface. -Good middleway???
          The main thing is that the copper is back in shape again, after heating,
          not cxompressed, and come to think of it, how hard is copper really?? Not
          that hard I think. The reason for using copper in headgaskets is that it
          expands much when hot so it can seal the small gap between the unequally
          expanding clinderblock and head.

          Jan

          JanÅke & Katarina Lang / Bullets MCC / Spinifex
          Sales House, Mudda Waddo, Parra, Goa - 403510, India.
          Ph: 0832-409081.
          mailto:spinifex@...
        • james franklin
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
            Jan,
            By just quenching and not drenching I dont think
            anything but steam would get to the asbestos and I
            reall dont think it hurt mine the couple of times that
            I have done it. Could easily be wrong you know more
            about these damn old dogs than I do.
            BTW the only reason I annealed them was I was to lazy
            to drive the 70 mile round trip to get a new one.

            Franklin
            --- Jan�ke Lang <spinifex@...> wrote:
            > AND water will also make the asbestos mushy and
            > create a problem there,
            > just take it off the heat and put it on a cold
            > surface. -Good middleway???
            > The main thing is that the copper is back in shape
            > again, after heating,
            > not cxompressed, and come to think of it, how hard
            > is copper really?? Not
            > that hard I think. The reason for using copper in
            > headgaskets is that it
            > expands much when hot so it can seal the small gap
            > between the unequally
            > expanding clinderblock and head.
            >
            > Jan

            > Jan�ke & Katarina Lang / Bullets MCC / Spinifex
            > Sales House, Mudda Waddo, Parra, Goa - 403510,
            > India.
            > Ph: 0832-409081.
            > mailto:spinifex@...

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • fletcja76049
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2002
              --- In royalenfield@y..., JanÅke Lang <spinifex@s...> wrote:
              > AND water will also make the asbestos mushy and create a problem
              there,
              > just take it off the heat and put it on a cold surface. -Good
              middleway???
              > The main thing is that the copper is back in shape again, after
              heating,
              > not cxompressed, and come to think of it, how hard is copper
              really?? Not
              > that hard I think. The reason for using copper in headgaskets is
              that it
              > expands much when hot so it can seal the small gap between the
              unequally
              > expanding clinderblock and head.
              >
              > Jan

              > JanÅke & Katarina Lang / Bullets MCC / Spinifex
              > Sales House, Mudda Waddo, Parra, Goa - 403510, India.
              > Ph: 0832-409081.
              > mailto:spinifex@s...

              JanÅke,

              Did you go back to using headgaskets because you had sealing
              problems?
            • JanÅke Lang
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3, 2002
                I always use hadgaskets, you must confuse me with Pete or someone else,
                sometimes there is one originator of a mail and a few answers with
                different names incorporated among the collective text, among them
                sometimes mine (a few << in the text is a clear giveaway the mail's been
                bounced about a few times). But I never said I didn't use headgaskets, I do
                and you should to. The increase in compression without one is fractional
                but a minutely small leak will take it all away and more. This is for
                racing only, at high revs the problem gets less. Full throttle use, not
                everyday use.

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2002
                  --- In royalenfield@y..., JanÅke Lang <spinifex@s...> wrote:
                  > I always use hadgaskets, you must confuse me with Pete or someone
                  else,
                  But I never said I didn't use headgaskets, I do
                  > and you should to.

                  Sorry, I thought you said that you had once but went back to gaskets.

                  I've done without them on some other bikes that use these "laminated"
                  head gaskets with good results, but you do have be careful fitting
                  the joint with careful lapping. I think the heat transfer from the
                  head is also improved without one too.

                  Have you ever seen solid copper ones for the Indian 500s?

                  Jack
                • JanÅke Lang

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 27, 2012
                      Putting my iron barrel back together tonight after I did some work on the valves. When I replace the head gasket, do i need to apply any type of product to the gasket itself before I tighten down the head?

                      Thanks, Bill