[Enfield] Re: oil change?

  • dojroj@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2001
      I bought a new Dneipr-which is pretty similar to the Ural-in `75 and
      have to say it is the worst bike I`ve owned.Ridden gently but main
      bearing failure under 1000 miles.Not much further and broken valve
      springs and final drive.Forever decoking the bloody thing.And I was
      one of many sufferers.Important aftermarket mod offered was a deeper
      sump because the standard capacity was acknowledged as just not
      enough.The penultimate Ural importer in the UK also offered the
      option of a recon BMW engine in place of the original that`s how much
      faith they had in the product and they were Russians.
      Always follow the manufacturers advice with regard to service
      intervals and limits[RE know what they`re talking about by now]and
      fettle more frequently if you use frequently and/or ride a bit harder
      than the norm.You`ll ride happier knowing that your mount is in tip
      top condition.And riding`s more fun than taking down the engine[for
      me leastways]!Pamper on.

      --- In royalenfield@y..., "Cris L." <balboa_71@y...> wrote:
      > Jan,
      > You're this weeks scape-goat :-) I think the "change
      > oil when it turns black" did the trick...LOL
      > You know, its funny, but take a bike like Ural or
      > Chang Jang, or some of the other Russian scoots....
      > They were designed to run on almost no oil at
      > all...final drives using less than 4 oz.'s ....now
      > that scrimping... From what ive been told, there was
      > little oil to be wasted when these bikes were designed
      > (wartime). The Ural holds little more than what my
      > Bullet does, and its a twin cylinder /2 of BMW design
      > (650cc). BTW, Urals run hot...so do Chang Jang's !!!
      > My old '95 Ural ran so hot, you had to choke it before
      > killing the ignition so it would not kick back from
      > dieseling and damage the engine bearings. But, never
      > the less, after break in, you could run the piss out
      > of it, plow fields, and haul all kinds of shit with
      > the sidecar. Ive see the Ural factory video of
      > "putting them thru their paces"....man, talk about
      > rough treatment :-)
      > These bikes are ridden in swampy fields, snow drifts,
      > two up/three up, jumping over hills and flying thru
      > the air at high speeds :-) And all of it is done with
      > 2 quarts of oil in then engine. A trip to India/South
      > Eastern Asia to see what two wheelers have to endure
      > would be a good experience, for me at least. I over
      > pamper my Enfield, but on the other hand, want it to
      > last for the rest of my days. Now on the other hand,
      > my '72 Titan gets its nuts stepped on daily, and loves
      > the pain...Finally after 29 years of being put up wet,
      > the inner two crank seals are sucking too much oil,
      > and Im going to be sited for killing every mosquito in
      > this part of town, from all the smoke it produces.
      > Im wondering if I should run synthetic gear lube in
      > the tranny to help slow down the oil suction? It has a
      > wet clutch, but what the hell, you only use it for
      > starting out in first gear. From what I understand,
      > synthetic oil does not smoke when burned; whats your
      > thoughts?
      >
      > Later, Cris
      >

      > --- JanÅke Lang <curves@w...> wrote:
      > > >--- In royalenfield@y..., JanÅke Lang <curves@w...>

      > > engines, about the
      > > comparitive oil volume 4
      > > longer service
      > > more appropriate
      > > >
      > > >No way, José, the VW engines (1200-1600cc in the
      > > Type 1) used 2.5 US
      > > >quarts of oil, or just a shade over 2 liters. No
      > > oil filter either,
      > > >just a screen about the same mesh as window screen.
      > > >

      > > Well....all the more relevant comparison then, twice
      > > the size aircooled
      > > engine with the same oilvolume, no filter and still
      > > a longer service
      > > intervals than the Bullet, about twice or10000km
      > > services as I recall!!
      > >
      > > Jan
      > >

      > =====

      Messenger
    • j.v.franklin@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1, 2001
        Cris,

        Forget the sinoil..you are just burning more expensive
        chemicals that way. Replace the damn seal. After all I
        may be riding behind you monday and the smell burns my
        nose.

        Franklin

      • Cris L.
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 1, 2001
          Hi,
          Well I have heard that Dneipr's are bastard children
          of the Ural generation...poorer quality (hard to
          imagine!!!!) The switches on my old Ural were
          hammered shit....Ive never seen anything like it
          before, and I thought the Italians had some strange
          electrical crap on their bikes :-) The funny thing
          about the Urals is they do not recommend an external
          oil cooler, nor increased sump...go figure.

          Cris

          --- dojroj@... wrote:
          > I bought a new Dneipr-which is pretty similar to the
          > Ural-in `75 and
          > have to say it is the worst bike I`ve owned.Ridden
          > gently but main
          > bearing failure under 1000 miles.Not much further
          > and broken valve
          > springs and final drive.Forever decoking the bloody
          > thing.And I was
          > one of many sufferers.Important aftermarket mod
          > offered was a deeper
          > sump because the standard capacity was acknowledged
          > as just not
          > enough.The penultimate Ural importer in the UK also
          > offered the
          > option of a recon BMW engine in place of the
          > original that`s how much
          > faith they had in the product and they were
          > Russians.
          > Always follow the manufacturers advice with regard
          > to service
          > intervals and limits[RE know what they`re talking
          > about by now]and
          > fettle more frequently if you use frequently and/or
          > ride a bit harder
          > than the norm.You`ll ride happier knowing that your
          > mount is in tip
          > top condition.And riding`s more fun than taking down
          > the engine[for
          > me leastways]!Pamper on.

          =====

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Cris L.
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1, 2001
            Franklin...

            The sinoil is in my Titan, not my Enfield...I run
            mineral based oil in my Enfield :-) and its doesnt
            smoke at all !!! :-)
            My Titan is a '72 Suzuki T500....twin cylinder two
            stroke road bike that ive had for a few years. The
            crankshaft seals are messed up and it burns
            transmission oil, thus, lots of smoke. So I got this
            bright idea to dump the 30wt tranny oil and replace
            with 80/90wt synthetic tranny lube to slow down the
            fluid transfer, and when it does suck the oil, being
            synthetic, it does not smoke.... in theory anyways

            Gotta go and get to work...

            Cris

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1, 2001
              oh ===as long as you arent doing it to an RE its ok

              Franklin

            • JanÅke Lang
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                Twostrokes (giant mopeds) are always smoking like hell!! No way around it!

                Jan

                _______________________________
                JanÅke Lang, CURVES & PIXELS, BULLETS MCC
                mailto:curves@...
                Tel: 08-662 16 17 Fax: 08-663 27 22
                Mobil: 070-408 08 81 Garaget: 08-660 68 52
              • JanÅke Lang
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                  Cris!

                  Ahhh finaly one who got the message!! (i think...)

                  From what I know Synthetic oil burns off slightly more than mineral oil but
                  smokes less....

                  Maybe your rings and/or valve guides (intake mostly) are gone??? Or you
                  might have overfilled the oil in the tank?? Hi when hot is usually OK but
                  one guy here had the level between the Hi and LO to have a non-smoking bike!

                  Jan

                  _______________________________
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                    Chutes, it doesen't work on PC's always, just Mac's have the universal
                    special letters fully implemented across the different western systems.
                    Sometimes you can cut and paste them but usually they are translated (for
                    you poor guy's with only 26 letters to the alphabet, we have 29!!) to
                    something strange...

                    AA = Å or danish = ‘

                    AE =Ä or danish = Æ

                    and OE =Ö or danish = Ø

                    But it's soon all gone in the Euro frenzy....

                    Jan

                    _______________________________
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                      Jan,
                      All of the smoking bit applies to my '72 Suzuki Titan
                      (I mentioned 'Titan' in my email) which is a twin
                      cylinder two-stroke road bike. They were built from
                      '67 till '76 and was known as the "bike that could not
                      be built" back in the 60's, due to what was thought
                      would be problems with over heating (two 250cc
                      cylinder next to eachother). But the bikes were a
                      success and over built to the point of hurting their
                      own performance (crankshaft assemblys are huge and
                      weigh more then they need to with oversize bearings,
                      etc.). These bikes have a long and popular racing
                      history and are still raced to this day (in classic
                      races). They would not keep up with a Kaw Mach I (500
                      triple) in stock form, but can be made to run 150+ mph
                      with little cash outlay. The problem with mine is
                      simple: two oil seals between cylinders (on
                      crankshaft) need replacement. This will cost $400 plus
                      shipping and Im not sure I wish to part with the cash
                      plus labor to yank the crank on my smokin twin. I've
                      installed the synthetic oil in the tranny (as I
                      mentioned in my previous email) and will see what
                      happens. If this reduces the oil burning, then i'll
                      drive her back and forth to work for another year till
                      I have more $$$ to spend (right now I am putting two
                      sons through college and money is tight). This bike
                      will start first kick, and run like the devil is
                      chasing it in all weather, no matter how bad. There is
                      practically no warm up required, and no sump oil to
                      warm for it to lubricate, so I like it for my short,
                      in town travels...besides, I've yet to be beaten in
                      stop light races against anything I've come up against
                      :-)

                      My Enfield doesn't smoke, nor will I allow it to get
                      to that point, its much to easy to work on :-)

                      Cris

                      =====

                      http://im.yahoo.com