Looking too closely

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2006
      The public lending library wants its books and videos back, so I am
      under a bit of a time crunch, but I have a follow up thought from last
      time's blog about The Empire Strikes Back.

      This is just my opinion. As I've said, I'm researching what I
      consider cinema history's best sword fights to try and figure out what
      the most "sexy" fencing moves are, who made them, and how I'd put the
      action into words.

      I mean, "He thrust in tierce, and he parried in quarte" (if that's
      possible anyway) isn't going to communicate to the average reader what
      is going on, is it?

      So, I was watching TESB, frame by frame, and in my opinion... I might
      be mistaken ... the champion fencer Bob Anderson was inside Darth
      Vader's mask for the really, really cool duel scene in the Han Solo
      carbonfreezing room (which is not a revelation, Richard Cohen wrote
      about that), but someone else wielded the light saber for the scene on
      the inspection platform.

      In the first scene, Darth Vader appeared to hold his light saber in
      one hand, in the other he used both. In the first, there was a great
      deal of wrist action, and the saber moved in smooth, efficient arcs.
      In the second, it was like Darth Vader was splitting tree trunks for
      firewood.

      I hope this doesn't ruin anyone's enjoyment! It's a marvellous movie.

      By the way, did I mention the Dorchester book club, and the
      increasingly lively Dorchester forums? Deborah Anne MacGillivray (A
      Restless Knight, The Legend of Falgannon Isle) and I have been
      chatting quite a lot on the threads there.
      forums@... is the link, I think.

      best wishes,