Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2006
      I think someone once asked me whether the British celebrate
      Thanksgiving in the same way that Americans do.

      My immediate, and hastily censored, reply would be something along the
      lines of, "That would be rather like King George III celebrating
      Independence Day," but upon more mature consideration, I recall that
      the Anglican church does celebrate the Harvest Festival.

      I dimly remember altars resembling tasteful farmers' market stalls,
      and congregations singing, "Come ye thankful people, come. Raise the
      song of Harvest Home..."

      I might have remembered the wrong verbs for the second line of that
      hymn. I don't remember eating turkey (too close to the Christmas
      turkey, anyway) or pumpkin pie, or watching anything particular on TV.

      As for me, today, I've got the smallest butterball turkey breast I've
      ever seen, and will be cooking an approximately traditional feast this
      evening (since my husband has a business meeting mid-afternoon). So
      far, I haven't seen a pumpkin pie flavored yoghurt, but there are
      apple pie, key lime pie, and cherry cheesecake flavored yoghurts.

      While my husband is out, we'll record the football game... I'm rooting
      for Joey Harrington because he was fired from the team he's playing
      against... and I shall watch a swordfight-featuring video or two,
      because I am researching swordmasters.

      It will either be the James Mason --love his voice-- Prisoner of Zenda
      or the Anthony Hopkins --likewise-- Mask of Zorro!

      Have a lovely day, whatever you are doing!