He said ... "With a weapon in my hand..."

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2006
      Have I told you how much fun I have with researching my alien romances?
      Possibly the high point of my week this week was a visit to a sword master's lair. My quest
      was to get inside the head of my next hero: Prince Djarrhett.

      'Rhett is a swordsman, which seems rather anachronistic in a high tech, albeit feudal,
      world, so the Sword Master and I had a wide ranging chat lasting nearly two hours, which
      covered the real-life Sword Master's opinions of the fight scenes in the Bond movie Die
      Another Day, and The Phantom Menace. (He feels that the light sabres are cool, but is
      concerned about the balance of the hilt, given that light can't weigh much, which is why
      Darth Maul is his favorite!!) We also discussed the logistics of weapons aboard space
      ships. Swords come in various lengths, and the big ones --like rapiers-- could be rather
      antisocial.

      I so love this analytical thinking!
      You can bet that if an opportunity presents itself, a lot of Sword Master Todd's opinions
      will filter through into 'Rhett's point of view.

      "Have you ever cut someone?" I asked, never hoping for an affirmative answer. Fencing is
      supposed to be safe, right?

      "Yes."

      "What does cutting someone feel like?"

      I couldn't believe my luck! After all, if I'm going to write a swordfighting duel from the
      point of view of my hero, he is going to have to sink some portion of his weapon into
      someone else's flesh.

      The answer presents some literary challenges, but I can handle that, secure in the
      knowledge that if any Sword Masters read my next book, they will not hurl it at a wall--or
      trash can-- because my hero feels unrealistic sensations.

      I think I must have asked more than twenty questions. I will share one more:

      "Is your image of yourself different when you have a sword in your hand?"

      (Oh, I did ask what he'd fight in, if he did not have to worry about protection. Would you
      believe, Underarmor? )

      "I feel younger, stronger and faster with a weapon in my hand."
      I really liked that answer, because I can make use of a double entendre. Now, I have four
      books to read, including The Secret History of The Sword. I had no idea there was a secret
      history. I cannot wait to find out what it is!

      Until next week.

      Rowena.