Straddling the proverbial fence

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20 2:02 PM
      "Rowena, do you like writing sex scenes?" I was asked recently.

      It's the sort of question that makes me want to straddle the fence.
      Well, I do. And I don't.... and I'd rather call them love scenes.

      Whether you see it or not, Sex usually happens in a romance. It's
      part of the most important story of a person's life… not necessarily
      sex with an alien, though if that happened and especially if the
      alien happened to be a little bit anatomically different, you can
      imagine that a blow by blow account could be quite fascinating.

      On the other hand, one can write a first rate romance without a
      graphic description of what might happen once the bedroom door is
      closed behind two relatively normal people. Georgette Heyer's
      Georgian and Regency romances spring to mind.

      I do like to write the sort of love scene (or sex scene) where
      something goes dramatically wrong -- I have a rotten sense of humor—
      or at least not according to the hero's expectations.

      I usually pick on the hero, for reasons that are probably perfectly
      obvious.

      He's more likely to be … less philosophical … not to mention sore,
      if he can't get the heroine's chastity belt off, or if the heroine's
      beloved pet cat mistakes his equipment for a funny looking mouse, or
      if the film crew falls out of the air duct, or if the lubricant
      contains a dye that won't come off.

      What—apart from its effect on character, and its potential to annoy
      the protagonists and shift the plot into a higher gear—is the point
      of a love scene in SFR or in a Futuristic?

      Comic relief?

      Oh, yeah. But in my opinion, lovemaking that is good for both of
      them isn't proof of a happy ever after, and it isn't the high point
      on which I like to end my books.

      Rowena

      PS
      Another thing I like about alien romance love scenes (or sex scenes)
      is that if the hero and heroine are from different planets, and do
      not have infallible translators implanted in their ears, one can have
      such fun with grammar.