August thoughts

  • row_123_imm
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2005
      We came across a slow worm sunning itself on some paving slabs.
      These legless lizards really are very attractive with their glossy
      dark and milky coffee-colored scales. My mother gently picked it up,
      before her cats found it, and it took fright.
      Like many creatures: crabs, tortoises, to name a few, a slow worm's
      first reaction to unwelcome attention is to eject excess liquid from
      its body.
      Unlike other creatures, its second reaction is to voluntarily start
      to break off its tail. The skin splits. The idea is that the
      predator will either eat or play with the disembodied tail while the
      rest of the lizard escapes. Slow worms do regrow their lost tails,
      but the new one is never as good as the original.
      We hope there was a happy ending for our slow worm. It was deposited
      in a damp, shady part of the garden before its tail was jettisoned,
      or anywhere close to being lost.
      I only hope that the resident hedgehogs did not find it that night!

      In my next posting, I hope to have news of the September newsletter.
      Right now, I have the delightful dilemma of chosing which cover model
      interview to publish next.

      Best wishes,
      Rowena Cherry