I really shouldn't....

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2008
      Yesterday evening we saw a young speckled bird, probably a young
      american robin, on our deck. Hopping, eating bugs, seeming fine. We'd
      had our trees sprayed, so there could have been a lot of bugs on the deck.

      I was a little concerned for it's tummy, but the bird refused to go.

      Later, we saw it attempt a vertical take off, and fall to the ground.
      So I put out a foil baking tray with water in, and also a box that the
      vegetable man leaves which has a square but otherwise bird sized
      cutout as a door hole, with a grapefruit packing divider (a grapefruit
      is about the size of a bird's nest) on the deck to stop ants from
      attacking.

      We have squirrels, raccoons, night hunting birds, so I wanted to give
      the bird some shelter.

      Nevertheless, I did not expect to see the bird (now named Axle) today.

      She's still out there, and is sipping the water.

      So, half an hour ago, I went to dig up some worms and spiders (not
      very hopeful), and I dropped them in the drinking water, since that
      was the best way to slow the worms and spiders down without maiming them.

      Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I left the deck Axle hopped straight
      to her drinking bowl, and devoured a spider and a worm.

      A little later, one of the other worms made a big for freedom while
      Axle was peacefully digesting her brunch. My daughter started pointing
      and cheering her on, and Axle hopped back to the water, intercepted
      the escapee, and consumed it.

      I guess, until whatever is wrong with Axle's wings mends, I'm doing to
      be worming a few times a day.

      :-)

      Oh, the Romantic life....!

    • Matilaja, you have to know me to know the
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2008
        Rowena,
        I hope that you and yours are well and in good spirits, and that
        Grandfather Great Mystery watches over you, and all of us, each and
        every day in good favour.
        That is so nice what you are doing for Axle, which was my Grandpa's
        name. It's nice that you're not being all touchie feelie with Axle.
        Out here in Washington State, actually Western Washington, where I
        live, we have a extension type program to Western State College.
        It's one of their satalite schools, not the main branch. Here on the
        reservation and in the nearby farming community things happen with
        animals and even with your plants and you can go to that college to
        find out what is happening and what you can do. When I contacted
        them it was because I had some scary looking bee's trying to take up
        residents in my yard. Well, I did what we've been told we could do,
        I called that college and asked about the bee's in my yard. DAng,
        the first person I talked to told me to get good and close and take a
        photo and to bring the photo over to him and they would check it
        out. I told him huh, AHHH, NO Way am I walking up to them bee's. He
        gave me to someone else and that person had me describe the bee as
        best I could. He told me to stay away from it and they would send
        people out because it was Africanized Killer Bee's, well, that
        confirmed it, I stayed out of that side of my yard. I think they had
        been hoping it was honey bee's since there has been such a national
        shortage of the main honey bee's. They cleared the little devil's
        out by doing something with their Queen and they are still gone,
        whew. OK! there I went on one of my ever rambling dialogs. I had
        meant to ask if you have one of those college type programs. You and
        your Daughter could really get into a good program with your local
        college or wild life state program or even 4-H. Mainly I think it is
        wonderful that they way you two are helping Axle is through the least
        intrusive way for the little dickens. I hope Axle is getting better
        by the hour. I hope you and your Daughter have a Super Spiffy day
        and an even better evening. Good on ya both.
        In the Spirit,
        Sue Morales-Finckel, 253-380-2444
        NatAimer@... or RezzChik@...

        --- In rowenacherrynewsletter@yahoogroups.com, "Rowena Cherry"