56Archaeology Adventure Workshop

  • Rtn. Mohanakannan P.
    Jan 25, 2010
      Dear Rotarians, Anns, Annettes, Friends,

      Participate in our Rotary District's unique Archaeology Adventure Workshop on 30th January, 2010. We are sure it will be one of the most memorable days for you.

      Did you know that around 2000 years ago, the Greeks and Romans lived all over South India--even in Chennai--right in our backyard at Mambalam, Mylapore and Tiruvanmiyur?! Arikamedu near Pondicherry was South Asia's largest Roman settlement, now in picturesque ruins. And on 30th, we are going to see that Arikamedu and its ruins, with the river on one side and the sea on the other. We will slowly walk through the ruins, following the footsteps of the Greeks and Romans, see antiquities scattered on the ground, enjoy the beauty and solitude of the place, learn why the Romans came here and when and why they returned back to their homeland. We then go to a small museum having the Arikamedu artifacts. There are lots of surprises and prizes all the way.

      Now to more mundane matters to get the program going. The coach departs from Rotary Centre,..... at 8 AM sharp. We have breakfast near Mahabalipuram, then proceed to Arikamedu straight, come back to Pondicherry to see the Museum, from there proceed for lunch and then drive back home through the ECR. We should be back in Chennai by 7 PM.

      The Program involves some walking in the open on the coast. So, you can equip yourself with sunscreen, umbrellas, wide-brimmed hats. We will provide you water, snacks and meals--not a Roman meal!