Da Rossiter Vinci Code

  • Merv Rossiter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2006
      Dear Readers

      Recently I read the book "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown, then I saw the film and then I read the book again. I can highly recommend both the book and the film.

      My main interest in "The Da Vinci Code" was Godfroi de Bouillon founder of the Priory of Sion and the Knights Templar. I believe he is one of our Rossiter ancestors.

      My research notes follow.

      Any helpful comments appreciated

      Regards

      Merv Rossiter

      P.S. I am having major surgery next week so it may be some time before I can answer any queries1Lambert de Rosei - Our Rossiter AncestorA Research Paper IntroductionSome years ago I went to the "heraldic" shop at my local shopping centre an purchased a computer generated printout detailing information about the ROSSITER family. In part it said :"They were originally from Rosei de Roseto, in Dieppe, Bellencombe, (in France) in 1066. In 1086 they were granted lands by the Conqueror in England at West Rudham in Norfolk. The first baron was Lambert de Rosei, who held Castle Acre as an under tenant of the Earl of Warick. His grandsons Ralph and Walkelin (John) joined Strongbow in 1172."(The above information is actually from "House of Names" at http://www.swyrich.com)Recently I have accumulated new information which expands on the above.References(1) From Blomefield's "County of Norfolk" published 1805, p433"Rowdham Westaker Manor. Was all in the Earl of Warren, the King having given him his part, but was divided again., and that part which was the King's was held of them Earl, by a family sirnamed from the town, till William, son of Simon de Rowdham, gave it to the Priory of West-Acre., the other part , with the advowson, came from the Earl of Warren to the Bardophs, and then to the Roseis or Rosets, and Lambert of Rosei gave his whole land at Rodeham, which William his priest held of him there, with the consent of Walcheline, his son, and of William Earl Warren and Surrey, the chief lord of the fee of whom it was held by the service of one knight's fee, to the Priory of West-Acre.(2) From Blomefield's "County of Norfolk" published 1805, p478Carbonel's Manor. With the advownson of St.Andrew's belonged to Brode, in the Confessor's time, and to William Earl Warren in the Conqueror's, of whom Simon held it, the whole town being then above two miles long, and one broad, paid 11d. Geld. In 1194, Wakelin de Rosey gave 20s to King Richard I to have seizin of 12s 7d rent, of the service of Hervy Gore, in such manner as Baldwin de Rosey had, when he began his journey to Jerusalem, where he died., this Baldwin was lord here, and contemporary, if not brother, to Roger de Rossei, or de Rosseto, lord of Rose's Manor in South-Creke. In 1218 another Baldwin de Rosseto held it of the Earl of Warren at one fee.2(3) The House Haunted by History page 2http://www.peterwestern.f9.co.uk/Rivenhall/historyrivenhall2.htmlRivenhall, written in ancient records as Ravenhall or Ruenhala once belonged to Editha, the Queen of Edward the Conbfessor, and to Harold. At the time of Domesday it was held by four lords, three so often mentioned in this series, Eustace, Earl of Boulogne., Robert Gernon and Suene of Essex., and another bearing the unusual name of Roger God save our ladies. There were five manors in the parish, the capital manor came by marriage to Robert de Scalaris or Scales.(4) History of the Manor of Rivenhall Hall, page 7http://www.peterwestern.f9.co.uk/Rivenhall/historyrivenhall2.htmlThe early post-Conquest history of the manor is unfortuanately lost, but in c1249 William de Roffa (de Rossa., de Rochester., de Roucestre) holding it in chief by the service of one and a half knights' fees. However, as early as 1217 his father, Ralf of Rochester, was holding "lands in Rivenhall" in chief. William's brother Peter, who was also Rector of Rivenhall, leased the manor to the Knights Templar, but before he died in 1255 he granted it to his nephew Robert de Scales, giving other lands to the Templars.(Robert's father, also Robert de Scales, was possibly married to Alice b c1199 Rivenhall, sister of Peter and William.) [Alice was daughter of William de Roucestre b c1173 Rivenhall](5) "Irish Pedigrees" by O'HartThe name ROSSITER is derived from the name ROUCESTRE(6) Bloodline of the Holy Grail by Laurence Gardner p228Pages 226, 227 and 228 show a pedigree chart for Guihelm de Gellone and Godefroi de Bouillon.Godefroi bc1060, d1100 was brother of Baldwin I (Baldwin de Rosei) and of Eustace III Comte de Boulouge. The three brothers were sons of Eustace II and Ida d'Ardenne. Eustace II was a son of Eustace I and Maud de LouvanGodefroi de Bouillon was a leader in the first crusade and became King of Jerusalem He died in July 1100 and was succeeded by his brother Baldwin who reigned to 1118. He in turn was succeeded by his cousin Baldwin du Borg(6) My Lines Person Page 126http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cousin/html/126.htm#i8099Lambert, comte de Boulogne was born circa 1022 in Lens, Normandy, France. He was the son of Eustache I, comte de Boulogne and Mathilde von Lwen. Count of Boulogne between 1049 and 1054. Seigneur of Lens. He married Adelaide de Normandie, daughter of Robert II "le Diable", duc de Normandie and Herlve de Falaise, between 1053 and 1054; Her 2nd. He died in 1054 in Phalampin, France. Killed in the Battle of Lille.3Child of Lambert, comte de Boulogne and Adelaide de Normandie: Judith "the Countess" de Lens+ b. 1054/55 (7) My Lines Person Page121http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cousin/html/p121.htm#i7842Godefroid de Bouillon, roi de Jérusalem was the son of the elder Lord Eustace, the famous and splendid Count of that region, whose many and memorable works are still recalled by the old men of the neighboring provinces and his memory as a religious and God­fearing man is like a blessing" in the pious recollection of men. He was the son of Ida and nephew of the exalted Duke Godfrey of Lorraine who was known as Struma. He had 3 brothers: the Lord Baldwin, Count of Edessa, who succeeded Godfrey in the kingdom; and the Lord Eustace, Count of Boulogne, who was his father's namesake, successor to his father as Count and inheritor of the paternal estate.The third was Lord William, a famous man, no less virtuous and energetic than his father and brothers. He was tall and although he was shorter than the very tall, yet he was taller than men of average height. He was a man of incomparable strength, with stout limbs, a manly chest, and a handsome face. He had hair and a beard of a medium blond. He was born in 1061 in Baisy, Brabant. He was the son of Eustache II "aux Gernons", comte de Boulogne and Ida de Verdun. He married Beatrice de Magnavil, daughter of Geoffrey I de Mandeville of Pleshy and Athelaise de Balts, before 1080. 10th Duke of Lothier in Lower Lorraine, Holy Roman Empire, between 1089 and 1100. He was a leader of the 1st Crusade in which he and his brothers heeded the call of Pope Urban and travelled to Byzantium, then went on to the Holy Land where Godfrey was to become King of Jerusalem, and his brother Baldwin, Count of Edessa, in 1096. He was present at the siege and capture of Jerusalem in July 1099. He was crownded as the first Latin King of Jerusalem and despite his weakness as a ruler, he was later idolized in legend as the "perfect Christian knight, the peerless hero of the whole crusading epic." In 1099 in Jersalem, Palestine. And when Raymond of Toulouse, lay leader of the crusade, declined to become king of Jerusalem, Godfrey accepted the crown but refused the title of king and was called instead Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri (Defender of the Holy Sepulchre). Avoué du Saint-Sépulcre in Jerusalem, Outremer, between 1099 and 1100. He died on 18 July 1100 in Jerusalem, Outremer, at age 39 years. Annals of Monte Fernando 1101: "Ob. Godefredus rex Jerl'm, subiit Baldewinus.(8) GEN-MEDIEVAL soc.genealogy.medieval Archiveshttp://searchs.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=GEN-MEDIEVALUse search term BoulogneThis is a discussion group and there are two camps who have different opinions about the Boulogne family. One camp has the following line of descent* Godfrey de Boulogne (de Bouillon)** William de Boulogne***Pharamus de Boulogne****Sibyl de Boulogne*****William de Fiennes4The other camp has the following line of descentGeneration OneEustache I d c1049, Count of Boulogne, son and heir of Baldwin, Count of Boulogne by Ada de Gant., m Maud (or Mahaut) of LouvainGeneration TwoChildren of Eustace I and Maud of Louvain(1) Eustace II Count of Boulogne d c1093, m(1) b/f Goda of England., m(2) Ida of Lorraine(2) Godfrey of Boulogne, Bishop of Paris, d1095(3) Lambert, count of Lens, killed Phalempin 1054., m 1053/54 Alice (Aelidis, Adeliza) of ......Normanby (b c1030, d1081/84., widow of Enguerrand II, Count of Ponthieu(4) Gerberge of Boulogne, m Fredeich II Duke of Lower Lorriane, d1065Generation Three AChildren of Eustace II and Ida of Lorriane (1) Eustache III, count of Boulogne and Lens, went on the First Crusade, d a/f 1125., m 1101/02 ......Mary of Scotland, d 1116(2) Godfrey of Bouillon, Duke of Lower lorraine, leader of the First Crusade, b c1060, d 1100 ......Palestine, buried Jerusalem(3) Baldwin, count of Edessa, (1098-1100), King of Jerusalem 1100-1118Generation Three BIllegitimate children of Eustace II(1) Geoffrey of Boulogne, of Carshalton Surrey, d a/f 1086, m b/f 1084 Beatrice de MandevilleGeneration Four A from Generation Three AChildren of Eustache III and Mary(1) Maud, d 30May 1151, m Stephen of Blois, King of EnglandGeneration Four BIllegitimate children of Eustache III(1) Godfrey of Boulogne (styled nephew of King Baldwin I of Jerusalem)., killed at Battle of ......Sinnabrah 1113(2) Ralph of Boulogne d a/f 1120/5(3) Eustache of Boulogne d a/f 1120/5Generation Four C from Generation Three B (1)Children of Geoffrey of Boulogne and Beatrice de Manderville(1) William de Boulogne, of Carshalton, Surrey, living 1106, d b/f 1130, m twice(2) Eustace of Boulogne, d a/f 1130(3) Simon of Boulogne, d a/f 1130(4) Rohese of Boulogne, d b/f 1151, bur Holy Trinity London., m richard de Lucy of Chipping ......Ongar Essex (Chief Justiciar of England), d 11 July 11795Generation Five from Generation Four C (1) Children of William de Boulogne and first wife(1) Faramus of Boulogne (or Tingry), d b/f 1183/4., m MaudGeneration Six from Generation Five (1)Children of Faramus and Maud(1) William of Boulogne d b/f 1184(2) Sibyl of Boulogne (or Tingry) d 1212/14, m (1) Enguerrand de Fiennees., m(2) Robert de ......Caieu (or Cayeu)Generation Seven from Generation Six (1)Children of Enguerrand and Sybil(1) William de Fiennes d 1244, m b/f 04 Jan 1203/4 Agnes de DammartinAlso the gen-medieval newsgroup archives mentions the following book"Families, Friens and allies - Boulogne and Politics in Northern France and England c879-1160"by Heather TannerConclusions(1) Blomefield has identified Baldwin de Rosei as Baldwin I, king of Jerusalem who died there in 1118 without an heir. He had brothers Godefroi, Eustace III and William. (There may be more) Godefroi was the founder of the Priory de Sion as mentioned in the book the Da Vinci Code. I have yet to find more information on his brother William(2) Eustace II who came to England with William the Conqueror is identified by Peter Western as Eustace de Roucester of Rivenhall. He had a brother Lambert de Boulogne. This Lambert had a daughter Judith. I have yet to find any other siblings. From the above the Rosei family, the de Roucester family and the Boulogne family are one and the same but more research is still required.I am still looking for Lambert de Rosei who was at Castle Acre in 1086Merv RossiterJune 2006P.S. I have yet to find a connection with Turold de Roucester6Eustace de Boulogne et AllGeneration OneEustace I, Comte de Boulogne, b c1004, d1049, s/o Baudouin II and Adelaide of Holland, m Maud de Louvain (Mathilde von Lowen) b c1005, d/o Lambert I of Louvain and Gerberge de Basse-LorraineGeneration TwoChildren of Eustace I and Maud de Louvain(1) Eustace II (Aux Grenons) Comte de Boulogne,b c1030, d 1081, m Ida de Verdun ......(Saint Ide d'Ardennes) 1040-1113(2) Lambert, Comte de Boulogne 1049-1054, bc1022 Lens, Normanby, France. Seigneur of Lens. He married Adelaide de Normandie, (sister of William the conqueror),daughter of Robert II "le Diable", duc de Normandie and Herlve de Falaise, between 1053 and 1054; Her 2nd. He died in 1054 in Phalampin, France. Killed in the Battle of Lille. Issue - Judith "the Countess" de Lens+ b. 1054/55 Judith "the Countess" de Lens was niece of William the Conqueror. Also called Judita Comitissa. She was a daughter of Adelaide of Normandy by a second marriage to Lambert of Lens rather than a posthumous daughter of her first husband Enguerrand of Ponthieu. She was born in 1054/55. She was the daughter of Lambert, comte de Boulogne and Adelaide de Normandie. She married Walthe of Siwardsson, 1st Earl of Northumberland, Huntingdon and Northampton, son of Siward Digera, Earl of Northumbria and lffld of Northumbria, in 1070. She founded the Nunnery of Elstow, near Bedford in Bedfordshire, England. She was one of the accusers of her husband, the Earl Waltheof, but after his death arranged for him to be honorably buried in 1076. She was recorded in the Domesday book as "Judith the Countess" and to have held estates in many counties, most of them apparently gifts from the King, her uncle, and held Huntingdon in dower in 1086.(3) Gerberge du Boulogne b c1023, d cSep1042(4) Ide de BoulogneGeneration ThreeChildren of Eustace II and Ida de Verdun(1) Eustace III, b c1058, d aft 1125 (died a monk), m Mary of Scotland b c1110, d 1150/1152. ......d/o King Malcolm of Scotland(2) Godefroi de Bouillon b c1061, d 18July 1100,He married Beatrice de Magnavil, daughter of Geoffrey I de Mandeville of Pleshy and Athelaise de Balts, before 1080. 10th Duke of Lothier in Lower Lorraine, Holy Roman Empire, between 1089 and 1100.3,6 He was a leader of the 1st Crusade in which he and his brothers heeded the call of Pope Urban and travelled to Byzantium, then went on to the Holy Land where Godfrey was to become King of Jerusalem, and his brother Baldwin, Count of Edessa, in 1096. He was present at the siege and capture of Jerusalem in July 1099.7 He was crownded as the first Latin King of Jerusalem. Issue - William de Boulogne+ b. c 1080, d. b 11307(3) Baldwin I, b 1070, d 02April 1118 Egypt Identified as Baldwin de Rosei in Blomefield's "County of Norfolk"King of Jerusalem Dec1100-April 1118. Died without an heir. Succeeded by his cousin Baldwin de Bourgm(i) Godvere de Toesny 1098, (Godehild/ Godeheut/Godechilde de Toeni (former ....betrothed ........of Meulan) ........m(ii) Arda Rupenid, daughter of T'oros I, Prince of Cilicia, 1098-1100;m(iii) Adelaide di Savona, comtesse de Sicile, daughter of marchese del Vasto Manfredo I died Savona, in 1113(4) William - mentioned inMy Lines Person Page 121http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~cousin/html/p121.htm#i7842(5) Gertrude (see The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail)(6) Roger de Rossei, or de Rosseto, lord of Rose's Manor in South-Creke. (mentioned in Blomefield's "County Norfolk" p478)Would he be "Roger God Save Our Ladies" as mentioned inhttp://www.peterwestern.f9.co.uk/Rivenhall/historyrivenhall2.html ?(7) Alex de Bouillon m Henry IV (see http://wordconnect.rootsweb.com/)Generation Four A - from Generation Three (1)Children of Eustace III and Mary of Scotland(1) Baldwin(2) Eustace(3) Matilda bc1103, d 03May 1152 Headington Castle Essex, buried Faversham Abbey, m 1125 Westminster Stephen de Blois King of England(4) Mary(5) WilliamGeneration Four B - from Generation Three (2)Children of Godefroi de Bouillon and Beatrice de Magnavil(1) William de Boulogne b. c1080, d. b/f 1130Generation Five B - from Generation Four B (1)Children of William de Boulogne(1) Guillaume, dit Farramas, seigneur de Tingry b. c 1105, d. c 1183 (2) Sibille de Tingry b. c 1132Also called Faramus de Boulogne. Guillaume, dit Farramas, seigneur de Tingry was born circa 1105 in Buckinghamshire, England. He was the son of William de Boulogne. Constable of Dover Castle in Kent, England, in 1157/58. He was living in 1172. He died circa 1183.Last amendment 08June 2006Finito