Frome ROSSITERs

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 9, 2003
      I've bought a couple of C18 PCC wills from the PRO Online website which shed
      considerable light on the ROSSITER Clothiers of Keyford and their relations:
      Daniel ROSITER, 1715-1787, and John HUNTLEY, 1745-1807 (see summaries
      below).

      The relationships are still a little uncertain, because:
      1) the same Christian names run down the generations
      2) I suspect 'nephew' and 'cousin' are used in the wills to mean great
      nephew and cousin once removed
      3) I'm missing some key marriages, and
      4) I only have vague dates for some of the baptisms, notably Edward ROSITER
      b.1676, his siblings and children.

      I'd be greatful if any list members can pass on proper dates and place
      (preferably with the source) for the baptisms, and help sort out the
      following:

      a) The parentage of Daniel's nephews and nieces:
      Frances ROSSITER, bap. abt 1741, married John MUIR at St John's, Frome, 6
      Nov 1777. Mary ROSSITER, bap. abt 1751, married John WAYLAND 27 Oct 1778 at
      St John's. So their father William is presumably Daniel's brother. Robert
      BLUNT, s/o John and Daniel's sister Martha, married Sarah ROSSITER, another
      d/o William, 30 Dec 1771 at Frome St John. (The will of Robert BLUNT was
      proved in 1821 and Sarah BLUNT's in 1828, so if she really was baptised in
      1731, she lived into her 90s.)

      I'm presuming that the Daniel who married Mary ??, widow of James HARRIS, at
      St John's 20 Oct 1769 is the same Daniel who had married Mary BROOKMAN there
      on 2 Sep 1740, rather than a son.

      So how are Ann OLIVE and John HUNTL(E)Y Daniel's niece and nephews?

      b) The GRANT connection:
      John HUNTLEY refers to "my late cousin Mary GRANT" and her granddaughter
      Sarah RICHARDSON ots BUTCHER. Solomon ROSITER (abt 1750-1815) married Sarah
      GRANT (abt 1774-1839) in Frome 9 Jun 1794.

      Is there a link?

      TIA

      David

      Pobjoy website at www.pobjoy.org.uk
      Frome site at www.fromeresearch.org.uk

      PROB11/1154
      Daniel ROSITER ots ROSSITER of Frome Swd
      To my wife Mary, all my land and the leasehold estates I bought of Mrs Jane
      GRIFFITH and the use of my broad loombs for life, also my household goods
      such as beds, linen, all the frames and glass in the garden, all the fuel
      for fier in the house or garden and all the drinkables in house such as
      beer, wine and other liquors; to John HUNTLEY and Robert BLUNT, both my
      nephews, all my utensils in trade such as shear tools, presses and cloth
      racks, scribbling horses, willow mill, oil kettles, scales, weights except
      the loombs, to be equally divided between them; to my nephew William ROSITER
      the piece of land in Frome Field called Long Mead and the piece behind
      HANCOCKs Building called RYALs and my property in the lease granted for 21
      years by Mr Edward BULL and Mr THEOBALD; and at my wife's death I give to
      the said William ROSITER all the leasehold and land estates which I gave her
      for life, likewise my broad loombs; at my wife's death I give to the
      trustees of the Charity School of Frome the estate where Mr John ADLAM [?]
      now lives called LUFFs Tenements with its outhouses and garden and the piece
      of ground that was Mr GREEN's counting house adjoining the porch which Mr
      John ADLAM pays 5s p.a. for, to be sold and the money put in stocks and
      applied with that of Madam HIPPIEs in helping to put the Charity Boys
      apprentice; all my effects such as cloth, woollen yarn and debts due, to
      William ROSSITER, An[n] OLIVE, Frances MUIR, Mary WAYLAND, John HUNTLY and
      Robert BLUNT, all my nephews and nieces, in equal shares.
      Overseers: Mr Edward NEWPORT Snr, Mercer, William ROSSITER and John HUNTLY,
      my nephews, and Mr John MUIR, Mercer.
      Signed 11 Sep 1782
      Witnesses: Robert SELFE, William SELFE, Eliz SELFE.
      Proved 15 Jun 1787 at PCC London by William ROSITER ots ROSSITER and John
      HUNTLEY ots HUNTLY, two of the Exors; power reserved to Robert BLUNT and
      John MUIR, the other Exors

      PROB11/1461
      John HUNTLEY, Clothier of Frome
      To Sarah RICHARDSON ots BUTCHER d/o John RICHARDSON ots BUTCHER by my late
      cousin Mary GRANT, £550 when she is 24, the interest to be applied in the
      mean time towards her education, and if she dies before reaching 24, the
      £550 to my Exor; to my cousins William ROSSITER, Ann w/o John OLIVE, Frances
      w/o John MUIR and Mary w/o John WAYLAND, £50 each; to John Singer BLUNT,
      £100; to Mary w/o Benjamin CARPENTER (sister to John Singer BLUNT) the
      interest on £200 for life, and after her death, the principal to all her
      children in equal shares; to my cousin Robert BLUNT, my half share in the
      dwelling house and lands in or near Locks Lane, Frome, which I lately
      purchased of John GUY and all my other freehold estate; residue to Robert
      BLUNT, whom I constitute Sole Exor.
      Signed 27 Feb 1796. Witnesses Will LACEY [?], Richard MARCHANT, Sarah LACEY
      Proved at PCC London 2 May 1807 by Robert BLUNT, Sole Exor
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 14 , May 18, 2003
        I've posted a family tree in report and gedcom formats to the Families pages
        of the Frome Research site. There are some 550 descendants/relatives of
        William ROSSITER (d. 1676-93) and Bassell nee BIGWOOD (b. 1638/9). Names
        (indexed at the top of the report) include ALLARD, BAYNTON, BEACHIM,
        BIGWOOD, CLACEE, EDWARDS, HARRIS, HODDINOTT, KING, NEWPORT, RABBITS,
        WALLISes, WAYLANDS, WEST and many others.

        The property-owning ROSSITERs in Keyford and the Woodlands are well
        documented, but quite a few births and links are hearsay. I should be
        grateful for any sources listers can come up with these.

        Special thanks to Roger Miller for BIGWOOD and CORNISH refs from St John's.

        David Smart
        London, England

        Pobjoy website at www.pobjoy.org.uk
        Frome website at www.fromeresearch.org.uk