Rossiter

  • Roger Goodger
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi David,

      Thank you for your mail of 30th. I will write to Clive and pass on your
      comments.
      However, as I have some records of Rossiters, I can answer one or two
      of your questions.

      1. You say you have seven children for Hugh & Mary ROSSITER. Eight were
      baptised:

      Nancy 25 Sep 1774 Witham Friary
      Betty 18 Aug 1776 Witham Friary
      Mary 17 May 1778 Witham Friary
      William 3 Nov 1781 Frome
      Fanny 7 Jul 1784 Frome
      George 18 Mar 1787 Frome
      Sarah 9 Jan 1790 Frome
      George 18 Aug 1792 Frome

      (Sorry - can't give you burial date of George (1. I'll ask Clive about
      Hugh's death date.
      -----------
      2. You say you have four children for William & Eleanor (nee Newport)
      ROSSITER. They baptised nine children in Frome:-

      Susanna 25 Jan 1781
      Mary 30 Aug 1782
      #William 12 Sep 1783
      Eleanor 21 Jan 1785
      *Daniel 12 Aug 1786
      Edward 1 Mar 1788
      John 13 Nov 1790 (born 17 Mar 1790)
      Sarah 29 oct 1791
      Harriet 13 Sep 1794
      -------------------
      3. Looks as if the *Daniel above will be the Dr. of Medicine mentioned by
      Clive. Baptism of Daniel's brother #Wiliam also shown above.
      --------------------
      David wrote:-

      <One other thing I noticed today was that a burial for John ROSSITER of
      <Freeze Fm at Radstock on 10 Jan 1845 doesn't square with an 1851 census
      <entry for Church Road, Radstock: John ROSSITER, Hd, Wd, 66, Retired Farmer,
      <b. Witham Friary; Simon ROSSITER, Son, unm., 20, Gardener, b. Clandown;
      <Witham Friary baptism for the son of James and Ann nee HODDINOTT. But I
      <can't see who the John buried in 1845 was: do you have details of the
      burial?

      4. This burial is NOT for John Rossiter. It is for his wife Lydia (nee
      Baynton), who was buried on 10 Jan 1845 at Radstock aged 56 years. In the
      1851 Census the John Rossiter Widower, aged 66, retired farmer, born
      W.Friary, was son of James & Ann nee Hoddinott. Simon was John & Lydia's
      son baptised at Midsomer Norton on 25 May 1828. He later married Isabella
      CREES. Ellen DUCK was the d/o of John & Lydia's daughter Lydia Rossiter
      who married George Duck in Midsomer Norton on 30 Jul 1835. (The name
      Ellen & Emma is often interchanged).

      As yet, I have no burial date for John Rossiter.
      ----------------
      5. Benjamin Rossiter married Zillah BAYNTON on 30 Apr 1818 at Kilmersdon,
      and he was stated to be of Frome Selwood. Zillah's brother, Thomas
      BAYNTON (1792) was Doctor/Surgeon in Radstock, but after losing his wife
      in 1835 decided to emigrate to a better climate with his young family.
      Benjamin ROSSITER and Zillah and their family went with him.
      While I was into the records, I spotted the following. You may already have
      them - but then, better twice than not at all.

      John son of Solomon & Mary Rossiter baptised 6 Jan 1781 Frome

      Sarah dau of Joseph & Mary Rossiter baptised 19 may 1787 Frome

      Abraham & Susanna Rossiter baptised the following children at Frome:-

      Amelia 25 Sep 1790
      James 25 Dec 1793
      Abraham 4 Feb 1797

      John son of William & Susanna Rossiter baptised 1 Aug 1795

      Solomon son of William & Mary baptised 25 Dec 1795
      ----------------------------
      Finally,

      James son of Pinnock & Sarah EDGELL baptised 26 Jul 1782 Frome
      William son of Pinnock & Sarah EDGELL baptised 24 May 1788, born Mar 1785,
      Frome.

      I hope this is helpful, and I will come back to you later on when I have
      heard again from Clive Rossiter.

      Sincerely,
      Peggy
    • David Smart
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2001
        Hi Peggy

        Many thanks for this info and for passing on my mail to Clive.

        Best wishes

        David

      • Peggy Goodger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2002
          David,

          I hope the following information helps to sort out these Rossiters:-

          John Rossiter (20 Apr 1802) married Betsy WHITTINGTON on 9 Apr 1824 Mells.

          James Rossiter (19. Mar 1807) married 1) Mary MEES 15 Jun 1830 and 2)Ann
          MEES on 9 Oct 1856 at Mells.

          John & James were brothers, and sons of James Rossiter (1799 of Cheverell)
          and Margaret LONG (lst wife). Second wife was Ann WHITE married 13 Dec
          1812 Mells.
          -------------------
          Marriages of children of James and Mary (Mees):-

          1. Francis Rossiter (bp. 24 Ap 1831 Mells) married on 21 Jul 1853 at Mells
          Lydia Rossiter (bp. 30 Mar 1834) d/o Joseph Rossiter (1788) & Martha
          (FRENCH).

          2. James Rossiter (bp. 25 Dec 1834 Mells) married Lucy ATKINS on 25 Mar 1856
          at Mells. Lucy buried 10 Mar 1858 aged 24 years. James buried 12 Mar
          1857 aged 22 years.

          3. Thomas Mees Rossiter (23 Jul 1837 Mells) married on 1 Jun 1857 at Mells
          Mary Jane Rossiter d/o John Rossiter (1802) & Betsy (Whittington) Rossiter.

          4. Edmund Rossiter (7 Jun 1840 Mells) married on 23 Jan 1862 at Frome Fanny
          Elizabeth Rossiter d/o John Rossiter (1802) & Betsy (Whittington) Rossiter.

          5. Emily Rossiter .......not known

          6. Lucy Ann Rossiter (1849) married on 11 Apr 1872 at Mells Edward WILCOX of
          Holcombe (s/o Robert).
          ---------------------------
          Joseph Rossiter (1788 Mells ) married Martha FRENCH (1789 Frome) 26 Oct 1812
          Gt. Elm. (nine children)

          Son Emmanuel (1821 Whatley) married 1) on 13 Apr 1841 at Mells Jane
          MEES/ROSSITER (widow of Silas Rossiter (bp 17 Apr 1816 - 1839) son of James
          Rossiter & Ann WHITE), and 2) married Emma ?? from Rotherhithe. Children
          from second marriage born in Bermondsey, Surrey. circa 1875
          ------------------------
          Job Rossiter (12 Apr 1814 Mells) was son of James & Ann WHITE and he
          married on 12 Apr 1835 at Mells Eliza HORLER. Job buried 7 Jan 1853 aged 38
          years.
          ---------------------------
          As you can see these Rossiters were all related in some way or another.

          The branch that went to Wales seem to stem from:-

          Joseph (1788 Mells) & Martha French (1789 Frome)
          James (1815 Orchardleigh) & Martha MARTIN (1817 Wanstrow)
          Edmund (1843 Whatley) & Martha COOMBES (1841)
          Carol COLBOURNE (1872 Blaina, Mon) & Oliver James Rossiter (1869 Frome)
          -------------------
          I hope I have explained it O.K.

          Peggy
        • Peggy Goodger
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2004
            Hi David (Kemp)
            You wrote:-

            <<If youre sure this Joseph died at 8 month - then that eliminates him
            from my list as a father of Newport Mons Rossiters with Ann
            Langford! >>

            The burial of Joseph Rossiter was in the L/Mendip Burial register as 27 Feb
            1831 aged 7 months. Page 26 Entry 205. I took this to be the son of James
            & Hannah Rossiter. He was the only Joseph Rossiter baptised in L/Mendip.

            <<But your second point about the Joseph in Cardiff Prison- is proving
            harder to eliminate. I agree he's the only likely Joseph Rossiter in the
            1881 census. Is
            this your source?>>
            Yes, the Joseph Rossiter I found in Cardiff gaol was from the 1881 Census.

            << His age 50 is not ideal as the Joseph Rossiter Im tracing (also call
            Job) married Ann Langford as a minor in 1844 at Frome(Union)- but 14 years
            old is quite a minor ! >>

            I am not sure whether you have seen the entry in the 1851 Census for Job &
            Ann but I show it below in case the children give you any clues.
            Laverton is 3 miles N. of Frome. Just a thought.

            Regards, Peggy
            ------------------
            1851 Census Frome
            Spring Gardens

            ROSSITER / Roseter Job 26 Cloth Worker Laverton
            Ann 27 Frome, Som.
            James 6 Frome, Som.
            Charles 2 Frome, Som.
            George 11m Frome, Som.
            LEE Henry Lodger 35 Cloth Worker Gloucestershire Not Known
            BRAY Noah Lodger 15 Ag. Lab Frome, Som.
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2006
              Thanks for these refs, Daphne.