More ROSSITER refs - anyone interested?

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
      1851 census

      HO107/1509, St Giles
      Sch. 294
      59 Chenies Mews
      Charles ROSSETER, 49, Plumber, b. London, Middx
      Ann R, 43, household duties [sic], b. Southwark, Surrey
      Harriet R, 18, Straw Bonnet Maker, b. St Giles, Middx
      Henry R, 13, Scholar, b. London, Middx
      Alfred R, 11, ditto
      Edward R, 9, ditto
      William R, 4, ditto

      HO107/1526, West London - North
      Enum. Dist. 1b
      Sch. 8
      2 Queen's Square, Psh of St Bartholomew the Great, London
      Eliza ROSSITER, Hd, Unm, 21, Milliner, b. Little Elm, Soms

      Couldn't find the Wm R, 50, who's supposed to be on f.351 of this film

      HO107/152, St Lukes
      No such film

      HO107/1698, Twickenham etc.
      Sch. 118
      Waterside, Twickenham
      Elizabeth ROSSITOR, 78, Alms House ?inmate, b. Chertsey, Surrey

      IR26/291 Cons. Ep. Wells Death Duty wills, 1805-11
      Will #3, proved 28 Jan 1805, < £100
      Samuel ROSSITER of Psh of Corston, Soms, Labourer
      Exix: Judith R of Corston, Spinster
      to Exix (sis), interest in a messuage in the Psh of Weston, Glos
      to Exis, Residue of estate

      Regards

      David

      Pobjoy website at http://www.pobjoy.org.uk
      Frome website at http://www.fromeresearch.org.uk
    • Merv Rossiter
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2001
        Hi David and fellow Rossiter researchers

        Thanks for the census info. Much appreciated. If there is any more in the
        pipeline I would be pleased to receive same.

        Now, re your previous post Joseph MILSAM and family

        I have a Hannah MILSON which could be of this family. Hannah married
        Stephen ROSSITER b/o Joseph ROSSITER, sons of William ROSSITER and Susannah

        Stephen ROSSITER b15Jul1744 Camerton,d05Jun1831 Camerton, m07Jun1773
        MidsomerNorton.
        ..............................Hannah MILSON b1745,d10May1831 Camerton
        The witnesses to Stephen's marriage were his brother and sister Joseph and
        Susannah(mRobertGay 30Oct1799 Burnett SOM)

        How do I know all this, I hear you ask? Well a descendant of the Camerton
        Rossiters came to Brisbane Australia in 1848 and there are at least two
        family members here in Australia researching their ancestors.
        I am in the process of compiling a paper on the Camerton Rossiters, which
        by the way, shows a link with the Rossiters of Midsomer Norton

        My travel arrangements to England and Ireland are just about finalised.
        I am inviting everyone to meet at the Royal Oak Hotel in Rossiter Road in
        BATH, Saturday 08 September at 12 noon. More details later. Would those who
        can attend please let me know.

        I will bring, a copy of the Camerton Rossiter paper, a copy of the Midsomer
        Norton Rossiter paper, and
        copies of floppies of Rossiter BDM's 1838-1881 as taken from the
        St.Catherine House indexes.
        If there are any requests, please let me know in plenty of time.

        I have a request please. Has anyone a Rossiter male DNA test result sheet?
        This is something I have started to look at. I hope to have my DNA analysis
        shortly and it will be available for comparison to those interested.Please
        contact me those of you who are interested.

        With best wishes

        Merv
        merv@...

        ----------
        > From: David Smart <david.smart@...>
        > To: ROSSITER list <rossiter@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [rossiter] More ROSSITER refs - anyone interested?
        > Date: Saturday, 2 June 2001 8:19
        >
        > 1851 census
        >
        > HO107/1509, St Giles
        > Sch. 294
        > 59 Chenies Mews
        > Charles ROSSETER, 49, Plumber, b. London, Middx
        > Ann R, 43, household duties [sic], b. Southwark, Surrey
        > Harriet R, 18, Straw Bonnet Maker, b. St Giles, Middx
        > Henry R, 13, Scholar, b. London, Middx
        > Alfred R, 11, ditto
        > Edward R, 9, ditto
        > William R, 4, ditto
        >
        > HO107/1526, West London - North
        > Enum. Dist. 1b
        > Sch. 8
        > 2 Queen's Square, Psh of St Bartholomew the Great, London
        > Eliza ROSSITER, Hd, Unm, 21, Milliner, b. Little Elm, Soms
        >
        > Couldn't find the Wm R, 50, who's supposed to be on f.351 of this film
        >
        > HO107/152, St Lukes
        > No such film
        >
        > HO107/1698, Twickenham etc.
        > Sch. 118
        > Waterside, Twickenham
        > Elizabeth ROSSITOR, 78, Alms House ?inmate, b. Chertsey, Surrey
        >
        > IR26/291 Cons. Ep. Wells Death Duty wills, 1805-11
        > Will #3, proved 28 Jan 1805, < £100
        > Samuel ROSSITER of Psh of Corston, Soms, Labourer
        > Exix: Judith R of Corston, Spinster
        > to Exix (sis), interest in a messuage in the Psh of Weston, Glos
        > to Exis, Residue of estate
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > David
        >
        > Pobjoy website at http://www.pobjoy.org.uk
        > Frome website at http://www.fromeresearch.org.uk

      • Dave Rossiter
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2001
          At 12:39 02/06/2001 +1000, you wrote:
          >Hi David and fellow Rossiter researchers

          My travel arrangements to England and Ireland are just about finalised.
          I am inviting everyone to meet at the Royal Oak Hotel in Rossiter Road in
          BATH, Saturday 08 September at 12 noon. More details later. Would those who
          can attend please let me know.

          >With best wishes
          >
          >Merv
          >merv@...

          Merv,

          You probably already know, but the choice of the Royal Oak is fortuitous,
          if it's the same pub, as it was formerly known as 'Rossiter's Royal Oak' -
          somewhere I have photo of the place from when the Lombard RAC Rally started
          from that fair city in about 1979.

          Look forward to meeting up.

          Dave R.
        • Dave Rossiter
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2001
            At 12:39 02/06/2001 +1000, you wrote:

            >copies of floppies of Rossiter BDM's 1838-1881 as taken from the
            >St.Catherine House indexes.

            Merv,
            Just a thought, which might solve a mystery -

            On you GRO marriage index you don't have a marriage for a Maria ROSSITER
            sometime after 1858? If you do it might be the reason I can't find the
            death of Maria in the death index I transcribed. William her husband died
            in 1858, she would have only been about 45, not hard up, so may well have
            re married.

            Dave
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2001
              Hi Merv

              > Thanks for the census info. Much appreciated. If there is any more in the
              > pipeline I would be pleased to receive same.

              No problem. I'll post anything I come across to the list.

              > Now, re your previous post Joseph MILSAM and family...

              Thanks for this.

              > I am inviting everyone to meet at the Royal Oak Hotel in Rossiter Road in
              > BATH, Saturday 08 September at 12 noon. More details later. Would
              > those who can attend please let me know.

              Sadly, I've got to be in Manchester that day. Maybe we can meet up while
              you're in London.

              > I will bring, a copy of the Camerton Rossiter paper, a copy of
              > the Midsomer Norton Rossiter paper, and
              > copies of floppies of Rossiter BDM's 1838-1881 as taken from the
              > St.Catherine House indexes.

              I'd very much appreciate copies
            • Merv Rossiter
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2001
                Hi David

                I hope I don't miss out on seeing you

                I arrive 0635 hrs Friday 07 Sep at Heathrow so I could see you then before
                I head off to Paignton
                Sat 08 Sep Bath
                Sun 09 Sep Bath
                Mon 10 Sep Bristol
                Tues 11 Sep Hope to see Clive Rossiter in Wales. I have had a snail mail
                from Clive to say that he is ........bedridden with chronic arthritis
                Wed 12 Sep Wexford
                Monday 18 Sep Dublin
                Mon 25 Sep Liverpool
                Sat 29 Sep depart Heathrow 1330hrs

                We could meet Friday 28th.

                Please let me know if either of these dates suit.

                Regards

                Merv
                merv@...
                ----------

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2001
                  Hi Dave

                  Had a look at the marriage indexes and there is only one listing which
                  could be your Maria.

                  1860 Q1 Maria ROSSITER Frome 5c 855

                  I have found three deaths which fit.

                  1864 Q4 Maria ROSSITER Frome 5c 388
                  1866 Q2 Maria ROSSITER Frome 5c 390
                  1868 Q4 Maria Amelia ROSSITER 5c 356

                  Hope this is of some help

                  Regards

                  Merv
                  merv@...

                  ----------
                  > From: Dave Rossiter <dave.r@...>
                  > To: rossiter@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [rossiter] More ROSSITER refs - anyone interested?
                  > Date: Saturday, 2 June 2001 22:59
                  >
                  > At 12:39 02/06/2001 +1000, you wrote:
                  > >

                  > >copies of floppies of Rossiter BDM's 1838-1881 as taken from the
                  > >St.Catherine House indexes.
                  >
                  > Merv,
                  > Just a thought, which might solve a mystery -
                  >
                  > On you GRO marriage index you don't have a marriage for a Maria ROSSITER
                  > sometime after 1858? If you do it might be the reason I can't find the
                  > death of Maria in the death index I transcribed. William her husband died
                  > in 1858, she would have only been about 45, not hard up, so may well have
                  > re married.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Merv Rossiter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2001
                    Hi Dave

                    Yes, it is "Rossiter's" Royal Oak Hotel. Maybe we can "rattle a few
                    skeletons" while we are there.

                    Look forward to seeing you

                    Regards

                    Merv
                    merv@...

                    ----------
                    > From: Dave Rossiter <dave.r@...>
                    > To: rossiter@yahoogroups.com
                    > Subject: Re: [rossiter] More ROSSITER refs - anyone interested?
                    > Date: Saturday, 2 June 2001 22:59
                    >
                    > At 12:39 02/06/2001 +1000, you wrote:
                    > >Hi David and fellow Rossiter researchers
                    >
                    > My travel arrangements to England and Ireland are just about finalised.
                    > I am inviting everyone to meet at the Royal Oak Hotel in Rossiter Road in
                    > BATH, Saturday 08 September at 12 noon. More details later. Would those
                    who
                    > can attend please let me know.
                    >

                    > >With best wishes
                    > >
                    > >Merv
                    > >merv@...
                    > >

                    > Merv,
                    >
                    > You probably already know, but the choice of the Royal Oak is fortuitous,
                    > if it's the same pub, as it was formerly known as 'Rossiter's Royal Oak'
                    -
                    > somewhere I have photo of the place from when the Lombard RAC Rally
                    started
                    > from that fair city in about 1979.
                    >
                    > Look forward to meeting up.
                    >
                    > Dave R.

                  • David Smart
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2001
                      Hi Merv

                      > We could meet Friday 28th.

                      This is best for me (though I think of those will preambles about "being of
                      sound mind but well knowing the chances to which this life is subject"!) How
                      about early evening? Maybe we could have dinner together. I live in West
                      Hampstead, about 4 miles NW of Central London. At the moment I'm based near
                      Russell Square, so lunch would be possible on either day - it's on the
                      Picadilly line from Heathrow. Where are you staying in London?

                      Regards

                      David